Club Orange worth it?

_CruiseLover

13 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Thank you.  One more question....it's actually a good point brought up by my husband.  Will we really need/use a larger balcony on our cruise with it being so cold?

Assuming you are talking about an Alaska cruise - we do not spend as much time on the balcony as on a Caribbean cruise, but we still use it a fair amount when in scenic areas such as Glacier Bay, Inside passage, etc.  Lots of great views....

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Thank you.  One more question....it's actually a good point brought up by my husband.  Will we really need/use a larger balcony on our cruise with it being so cold?

We did spend a lot of time on our balcony on our Alaska cruise, watching whales, dolphins, otters, and sea lions along the inside passage and outside of Haida Gwaii. We awoke a number of mornings to see wildlife outside of our cabin, and we bundled up and watched them with our room service coffees until it was time to explore the ship.

That said, if you're an early riser, you can get the same benefit by getting up early and wandering the decks of the ship, which on its own is pretty special. 

• Like 3

Sorry to the OP and to all...I just realized that I have been on the wrong thread for the last few post.  I had asked a question or two about Club Orange, and got sidetracked somehow on staterooms.  Anyway, the cruise I will be on in in Norway in May.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Good question - depends on you two.  DH and I always went out to see the coastlines, arrival into port and departure.  He like to take pics of the sunsets and sunrises as well.  

We’ve had some pretty cool weather in spots (and  knew we would) and used it.  You might choose not to - YMMV.

On 1/20/2023 at 8:51 PM, oaktreerb said:

I don’t understand why, unless they are sold out.  My PCC has booked me this way at least twice.  I choose my deck 4 stateroom, add Club Orange, and he books it at the lowest veranda rate (obstructed).   The cruises have been 7 day Pacific Coast cruises on the Koningsdam.  Maybe you should reach out to the TA or person who booked your cruise for a second opinion.

On 1/20/2023 at 9:42 PM, kazu said:

Not sold out - bought it.  Will reach out to my TA.  Some of the people in Seattle don’t know beans.  Time will tell I guess.

My problem might be adding it after booking.  But I don’t want to risk losing my deck 4 cabin (have a feeling you and I have the same verandahs) and there aren’t many left.

Just a quick update. My excellent TA was willing to call but reminded me of a perk I forgot I had & said it might not be worthwhile -by the time I did the math - it wasn’t worth losing it (crew incentive) and I told her not to worry about it.  I’m good 🙂 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, kazu said:

Just a quick update. My excellent TA was willing to call but reminded me of a perk I forgot I had & said it might not be worthwhile -by the time I did the math - it wasn’t worth losing it (crew incentive) and I told her not to worry about it.  I’m good 🙂 

Same here. Our HIA package also included the crew incentive and I didn't think CO was worth it for this cruise.

I'm not very concerned with MDR issues for our upcoming cruise. It's not even close to being sold out. A very different situation to a Caribbean holiday cruise.

4 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Same here. Our HIA package also included the crew incentive and I didn't think CO was worth it for this cruise.

I'm not very concerned with MDR issues for our upcoming cruise. It's not even close to being sold out. A very different situation to a Caribbean holiday cruise.

Agree - didn’t book it for the May cruise but my October one 😉 

But for the May cruise - we don’t know how many guarantees there are so our May cruise could be more sold out than it appears. 😉 

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

Agree - didn’t book it for the May cruise but my October one 😉 

But for the May cruise - we don’t know how many guarantees there are so our May cruise could be more sold out than it appears. 😉 

I went ahead and booked it for May. I just booked the cruise so the math worked out for me. I like the idea of the smaller dinning room as a solo. 

• Like 2

I was in the middle of typing an email to my TA and decided to check this thread. 

I don't understand why you would lose anything by purchasing Club Orange...especially since you have purchased HIA.  HAL is getting more money from you with the CO purchase.  Now, having said that, my HIA did not include crew gratuity.  Is that an extra perk?  My HIA was Drinks, Wi-Fi, Specialty Dining and Excursions.  

So are your TA's saying that of you added CO, you could lose the extra perk of the crew gratuities.  Is this only if you ask for a reduced fare?

When including the room upgrade, Club Orange seems like a really good value.

But one caution is that according to an agent I talked with in calling Holland America, Club Orange non-refundable and non-transferable. Is that true even if you have their travel insurance? Anyway, I guess only buy Club Orange if you're pretty sure you're going to do that cruise.

This is very complicated but the problem is if you already have an existing reservation and want to upgrade your stateroom by buying Club Orange.  To take advantage of the upgrade you first have to downgrade to the lowest category.  In doing so, you will be refared at the current rate and current promotions.  And, then you can be upgraded to the highest available category. This might not work if you currently have a better rate and better promotions.   

• Like 2

Can anyone verify that the Club Orange cost is non-refundable? As in "I cancelled a cruise and did not get my CO $$ back" not just somebody at HAL said it wasn't (since we know you often get different info from HAL every time you call😉)? 

Thanks!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

Can anyone verify that the Club Orange cost is non-refundable? As in "I cancelled a cruise and did not get my CO $$ back" not just somebody at HAL said it wasn't (since we know you often get different info from HAL every time you call😉)? 

I'm interested in the answer on this too. When I booked with my HAL consultant I specifically asked whether Club Orange was refundable along with the rest of my cruise deposit and she said YES it is refundable. I hope she was correct (just in case . . .).

• Like 1

Club Orange Terms & Conditions: Club Orange pricing starts from US$25 per person, per day on cruises 13 days or less or US$15 per person, per day on cruises longer than 13 days. If there are two occupants
in a stateroom, Club Orange benefits must be purchased by both guests. Third and fourth guests sharing the stateroom with 1st/2nd guests are not required to purchase Club Orange and will receive all benefits except sparkling wine and tote bag. Club Orange is capacity-controlled and available on a first come, first served basis. Benefits may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice. By enrolling in Club Orange, guests who have purchased either a Standard or Platinum Cruise Protection Plan are responsible for any increase in cost of the coverage based on the cost of the Club Orange add-on. Benefits apply only to the booking number listed and are neither transferable nor refundable. Other restrictions may apply. Ships’ Registry: The Netherlands.

• Thanks 1

We added the CO pass to our obstructed view balcony for September onboard the Rotterdam.  We can see a room on the online booking.  When would we see the upgraded balcony??? And i expect that the upgrades is not processed until the fare is paid in full ( or should my TA reach out now??)

@northernphoenix I called my PCC last week, she checked CO availability  and the cabin upgrade I wanted. Booked an obstructed verandah.   She took my credit card deposit and CO fee.  Before we hung up I had received my updated booking confirmation with my new upgraded aft cabin.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, northernphoenix said:

We added the CO pass to our obstructed view balcony for September onboard the Rotterdam.  We can see a room on the online booking.  When would we see the upgraded balcony??? And i expect that the upgrades is not processed until the fare is paid in full ( or should my TA reach out now??)

You have to ask for it!

I have been in  touch with my TA.  She says that she will give me an answer by Friday about being able to purchase Club Orange.  I gather that she doesn't know much about it and needs to check.  From what I have been reading on this board, getting in touch with HAL is a pain!   She is also checking on downgrading our stateroom to a VB balcony (kazu, she says that the Deck 4 aft staterooms are still VB's and we will save $20 each.  LOL)

32 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@northernphoenix I called my PCC last week, she checked CO availability  and the cabin upgrade I wanted. Booked an obstructed verandah.   She took my credit card deposit and CO fee.  Before we hung up I had received my updated booking confirmation with my new upgraded aft cabin.

I used FCC for the initial deposit.  I will direct my TA to submit pamemt for the CO pass and then we can request the upgrade.  Many thanks!

2 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

You have to ask for it!

I have been in  touch with my TA.  She says that she will give me an answer by Friday about being able to purchase Club Orange.  I gather that she doesn't know much about it and needs to check.  From what I have been reading on this board, getting in touch with HAL is a pain!   She is also checking on downgrading our stateroom to a VB balcony (kazu, she says that the Deck 4 aft staterooms are still VB's and we will save $20 each.  LOL)

The CO pass is on my booking invoice (TA contacted HAL and the pass was added.) There was no indication of the upgrade during the phone call.