Entertainment - GETAWAY

Treacher1

There was a post I read (not on CC) that NCL is cutting expenses end of January by reducing entertainment options on their ships.  The article said specifically that Kinky Boots will stop production in January,  and that other entertainment staff was being reduced and sent home on other NCL ships.  I hope this is not true - we are sailing GETAWAY in March and were excited about seeing the Million Dollar Quartet.

If you carefully rad the announcement, the shows that require manpower for lots of costume changes or moving of background scene changes will be reduced.  Million Dollar Quarter does not require either, so they should still be on board.

• Like 1

We won't really be able to tell you a lot since none of us (I don't think) are privy to NCL's plans. I sailed Getaway 12/31 - 1/8. Million Dollar Quartet was onboard. There's an active live right now. It appears Million Dollar Quarter is onboard for them as well. 

Here's a link:

Here's a lot of speculation that I could be right about or completely wrong about. I sailed on Getaway in September. The Million Dollar Quarter cast was at the end of their contract. They left a sailing or two after my 9/3 trip. That means the current cast is probably in month four of their six'ish month long contracts. My entertainment contracts are five to six months long, or so Cruise Critic has informed me. 

What this means is that March is roughly six months, so Getaway could get a new cast or NCL will quietly rid Getaway of Million Dollar Quartet. Or, I could be completely wrong as everything I've just stated is pure conjecture. I'm hoping with you that you'll have Million Dollar Quartet perform for you though! And that, is a fact.

I was told by my travel agent, her NCL Rep response to me was "NCL has the right to change or remove Ports of call, change or remove any entertainment at any time, at thier discretion.....read your terms and conditions". Pay good money for a full cruise, get less than you paid for. 

The contract apparently means nothing. The cast of Kinky Boots was fired in the middle of their contract. Also I have read Syd Norman's was turned into a karaoke bar!  And we are supposed to commit thousands of dollars 4 months in advance without knowing what we are buying? This is not the same as a port cancellation due to weather. This is acting in bad faith and is unethical. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Treacher1 said:

There was a post I read (not on CC) that NCL is cutting expenses end of January by reducing entertainment options on their ships.  The article said specifically that Kinky Boots will stop production in January,  and that other entertainment staff was being reduced and sent home on other NCL ships.  I hope this is not true - we are sailing GETAWAY in March and were excited about seeing the Million Dollar Quartet.

We'll just have to see what the real truth is.

The article was kind of an ambulance chaser piece to get advertising clicks. I have been on the Encore 3 times since the restart and on every cruise Kinky Boots has been "unavailable on the cruise". Maybe the cast just got fired. Or maybe it was too hard to keep a big cast COVID-free. 

The original cast of the Million Dollar Quartet was known for habitually cancelling shows and was eventually fired in their first year and the show removed from the ship. It was eventually installed on another ship. 

3 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

The contract apparently means nothing. The cast of Kinky Boots was fired in the middle of their contract. Also I have read Syd Norman's was turned into a karaoke bar!  And we are supposed to commit thousands of dollars 4 months in advance without knowing what we are buying? This is not the same as a port cancellation due to weather. This is acting in bad faith and is unethical. 

Syd Normans had four shows during our cruise on Breakaway two weeks ago. 

Other nights of the week they used the venue for family karaoke or other events.   I still wouldn't have called it a karaoke bar.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Treacher1 said:

Yes this is true. A couple of youTube.sites have already talked. The production staff’s contracts have all been canceled. Watch this….

This is my 1st cruise with NCL & may be my last. 

Tom😀

Guy in the Band just posted on FB they are back in at Syds!

Looking forward to dancing at Sugarcane mojitos bar last time on Bliss it was packed every night. I can only sit down so long and we both love to dance 🕺💃🏽🪩 

Edited by cementhands
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, trbarton said:

Yes this is true. A couple of youTube.sites have already talked. The production staff’s contracts have all been canceled. Watch this….

I agree with Don and hope this is not the start of things to come.

We will be on the Getaway this Friday and will see about these new changes. It could very well be our last NCL cruise if the entertainment is lacking (especially on a 12 nighter). We flip flop between RCCL & NCL depending on itinerary and we prefer to drive to NY or NJ rather than fly south to catch a cruise, so these are our 2 go to cruiselines.

Entertainment is very important to us when we cruise.  RCCL has always been our favorite, especially for the Broadway shows, (we've seen Chicago, Hairspray, Mama Mia, Grease, Saturday Night Fever, We Will Rock You & Cats) and always look forward to them. 

It is very disappointing that NCL is raising prices PLUS doing cutbacks, I can see one or the other, but not both. I think that we will luck out as far as having our cabin attended to twice daily, I think that goes into effect right after ours, although that wouldn't have been a real issue for us anyway as we keep our cabin pretty tidy as long as they would leave us enough bath towels.

I hope that if all these changes do take place that they are only temporary, until they can get back where they need to be, because long term, it is going to hurt them, people will just go to another cruiseline.

1 hour ago, bren61 said:

It is very disappointing that NCL is raising prices PLUS doing cutbacks, I can see one or the other, but not both.

Of course I don't want to pay higher cruise fares and fees, but I was assuming the best when NCL began raising fees in mid to late 2022. I thought they were doing the opposite of Carnival. Carnival was cutting, cutting, cutting, while NCL was just raising fees. Then NCL decided to start cutting. I'd much rather see a cruise line raise fees (and fares) while keeping the onboard experience similar to what most cruisers are used to. Of course I'm in a place where I have the privilege to say such things. I know others are negatively impacted by the higher fares and fees. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bren61 said:

We will be on the Getaway this Friday and will see about these new changes. It could very well be our last NCL cruise if the entertainment is lacking (especially on a 12 nighter). We flip flop between RCCL & NCL depending on itinerary and we prefer to drive to NY or NJ rather than fly south to catch a cruise, so these are our 2 go to cruiselines.

Entertainment is very important to us when we cruise.  RCCL has always been our favorite, especially for the Broadway shows, (we've seen Chicago, Hairspray, Mama Mia, Grease, Saturday Night Fever, We Will Rock You & Cats) and always look forward to them. 

It is very disappointing that NCL is raising prices PLUS doing cutbacks, I can see one or the other, but not both. I think that we will luck out as far as having our cabin attended to twice daily, I think that goes into effect right after ours, although that wouldn't have been a real issue for us anyway as we keep our cabin pretty tidy as long as they would leave us enough bath towels.

I hope that if all these changes do take place that they are only temporary, until they can get back where they need to be, because long term, it is going to hurt them, people will just go to another cruiseline.

If you think other cruise lines are not going to follow suit on the changes you are dreaming.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bren61 said:

I have a favor to ask. I’m on the February 6th cruise & have invite letters to the officers for our Meet & Greet. If you find out who the Captain & Staff Captain are could you email me at trbarton743 at aol dot com?  Perhaps there is a list/board of all of the officers. 

Thanks!

Tom😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trbarton said:

I have a favor to ask. I’m on the February 6th cruise & have invite letters to the officers for our Meet & Greet. If you find out who the Captain & Staff Captain are could you email me at trbarton743 at aol dot com?  Perhaps there is a list/board of all of the officers. 

Thanks!

Tom😀

Sure Tom.

Going tomorrow on Getteupaway!

Recently on Rcl karaoke and silently disco 🪩 ruled! Boring unless you love that? Give me Norwegian and dancing 💃 live music mojitos bar h20 spice bliss lounge! 2 comic’s being paid tribute band at syds. Usually get in 20,000 steps a day dance and carrying on!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Joesantos said:

Recently on Rcl karaoke and silently disco 🪩 ruled! Boring unless you love that? Give me Norwegian and dancing 💃 live music mojitos bar h20 spice bliss lounge! 2 comic’s being paid tribute band at syds. Usually get in 20,000 steps a day dance and carrying on!

Please keep us posted as to what’s going on with things on the ship. 

Tom😀

3 hours ago, Joesantos said:

Have a great trip! I am always amazed at how many steps I get on a cruise just having fun.