How should NCL fix their Atrium situation?

bowlinmoe

21 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

We've showed early and found all seats taken to certain shows.  Then we head upstairs and often all those seats are taken.  So it's not a case of showing up late.  The venue simply doesn't have enough seating for certain shows.

If full, the Escape has 4500+ passengers. The biggest venue, the Escape Theater, holds 800 passengers. There is never going to be a venue with enough seats to accommodate everyone who decides they want to watch a show. And that is true of any cruise ship (I am not talking about a river boat).

I am not sure that anyone would enjoy watching an interactive game show from the last row in the theater. The next post will be "Why would they put that in the theater, you can't see anything"

When we first started cruising, the big event of the afternoon was high tea. You would take your tea in the Grand Ballroom. If you didn't show up early, there were no seats and you would have to serve yourself in the buffet. Cruise lines never have space for all passengers to attend an event. NCL is no different. 

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

it just proves that the seating in the area is lacking and lucky management has thought of an alternative solution by providing temporary chairs

depending on the event going on, o sheahan seating can be just as crowded and its even worse because of the background bar noise making it impossible to hear the PA system for the event

Exactly.  And add to the fact that this same area has Guest Services, Cruise Excursion Services, bar, AND the Starbucks/Coffee shop.....it gets easily congested.  It just wasn't thought out well.  Plain and simple.

3 hours ago, bowlinmoe said:

Both plus….

c) The area simply has too little capacity overall for the amount of people events attract there. Events that attract that many people, such as shows put on by the cruise director and asst cruise director (the movie sketch show for example), should be done in a larger venue. 

Both? Can't be both. You either see the problem sitting or you see the problem standing. You can't do both. It almost seems like you are more interested in pot stirring than finding a solution when you won't even define the problem.

Have you suggested a better location that is available at the required time that will hold the number of people that would show up?

Perhaps you feel NCL should just offer less likeable entertainment so that more people will pass on it?

Or maybe security should position themselves at the entrances and only let X number of people in and then close it off?

What do you suggest?

12 hours ago, complawyer said:

if you really think there's a problem. get to the atrium a little earlier.

You mean a LOT earlier, several hours on some cruises. I was on one where people didn't move from their seats all morning or all afternoon. It's most marked on winter cruises, where people also line up for bingo more than an hour in advance.

• Like 2

The only solution is creating a smaller theater for game shows, trivia, newlywed Game, Perfect couple game, etc.   Perhaps instead of a 3 deck race car track, it could be 2 decks.  It would mean removing or making smaller a pay venue and creating another sitting area for shows.

Sadly its not gonna happen 😞

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

You mean a LOT earlier, several hours on some cruises. I was on one where people didn't move from their seats all morning or all afternoon. It's most marked on winter cruises, where people also line up for bingo more than an hour in advance.

Unless you yourself were there all morning or all afternoon, just how would you know who did or did not move from their seats? If you saw people, then you left and came back and saw the same people, you wouldn't know for certain whether they were there the whole time or if they themselves left and came back while you were gone.

1 hour ago, bowlinmoe said:

Mods?  How we do commend such great posts like this that go above and beyond in contributing to this discussion?  I feel like a "heart" or "like" emoji just isn't enough.

The point is valid though (if a bit redundant), we don't seem to be all agreeing that it is horrible.

Regardless of peoples opinions, we are stuck with it. As has been said, there isn't really another vet ue which serves better.

People have mentioned Spinnaker on the older ships as an alternative venue, but for us that is even worse. We like to go to Spinnaker during the say to play cards or something like that with a view of the sea, and the constant activities really detract from it. I feel that the Atrium is a venue more suited to these things.

I wasn't really aware of there being a problem in the atrium (I'm not on the ship for these shows), and I would rather they were tucked away somewhere I don't go but then there would be complaints of people not getting in, so it looks like the atrium is the best of a bad bunch.

As others have said, I suspect it is all deliberate anyway.

• Like 1

i concede im probably in the minority, but again, after 20 cruises, all on ncl, i have as yet not found anything going on in the atrium that i want to see (and certainly not wish to stand for).

while hopefully i wont get blasted on this post for coming across as a snob, except for most of the theater shows, i find a great many of the "lounge" acts to be 2nd rate at best, and awful at worst.

we were on the star in aug/sept, and the singer at the bar outside of le bistro sounded more like a cat with its tail caught under a rocking chair. it was painful to even listen to, thank god for double strength manhattans. while all these people are "professional" entertainers, sometimes the best venue for them are on cruise ships.

again, the opinions expressed herein, are strictly my own. also, i dont book a cruise with the quality of the entertainment as a criteria. and I will also concede that on most of the cruises i have taken, but for the theater, i dont even go to the other shows.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i concede im probably in the minority, but again, after 20 cruises, all on ncl, i have as yet not found anything going on in the atrium that i want to see (and certainly not wish to stand for).

while hopefully i wont get blasted on this post for coming across as a snob, except for most of the theater shows, i find a great many of the "lounge" acts to be 2nd rate at best, and awful at worst.

we were on the star in aug/sept, and the singer at the bar outside of le bistro sounded more like a cat with its tail caught under a rocking chair. it was painful to even listen to, thank god for double strength manhattans. while all these people are "professional" entertainers, sometimes the best venue for them are on cruise ships.

again, the opinions expressed herein, are strictly my own. also, i dont book a cruise with the quality of the entertainment as a criteria. and I will also concede that on most of the cruises i have taken, but for the theater, i dont even go to the other shows.

Nothing wrong with your opinion. Nothing.

Not everything is, or should be, for everyone. There has to be different strokes for different folks.

Some people love the buffet, some people never eat there. Some people go to every bingo or trivia, lounge act, etc. while others wouldn't be caught dead there. Some people wouldn't sail outside the Haven, some wouldn't sail without a balcony, and some wouldn't be dragged out of an inside cabin.

Nothing wrong with any of it. People should be able to do what makes them happy. 

We have a whole thread here complaining that people like what is going on in the atrium. 🙄 Sheesh, if the atrium situation bothers you, then simply do something else somewhere else. If the atrium is so unbearably overcrowded, then simply go where all of those people aren't.

• Like 4

Completely agree, Bowlinmoe!  You are not the only one who noticed this.  The first time on the Joy was so disappointing because of it.  The biggest issue we had was whenever we went to the shore excursion desk or Guest Services, we couldn't hear the people at the desk.  It was so loud.  They got so frustrated, as did we.  And there were so many people standing around, it was hard to get to Guest Services.  Same thing on the Encore (which we really liked except for the Atrium). I think holding some of the less busy activities there works fine, but with the more popular ones it's such a zoo.  We will just avoid the atrium altogether if we ever sail on that class again or stick to the Jewel class. 

It sounds like the Prima/Viva may have eliminated the atrium annoyance with a better design.  We have a trip booked on it, so we will see.  Sail on!  😄  

• Like 1

My problem with the atrium is the noise level that makes communicating with staff at the guest services desks very difficult, the same is true with the atrium bat and O’Shehans.   When we returned from our December cruise my PCC called me to see how things went and specifically asked about the atrium.  I told her about the noise level, etc.  she said NCL was asking PCCs to specifically ask about it on welcome home phone calls as they are concerned about the complaints they have been receiving.  According to her they have seen a drop in repeat cruisers who have stated their reluctance to sail the BA and GA is due to atrium noise.

I don’t know what they think they can do about it, but apparently they are at least they are aware of the problem.  And yes, I know many of you do not see it as a problem, but every time I needed to talk to the CN desk or guest services it was a screaming match to be understood.  Just my opinion.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

My problem with the atrium is the noise level that makes communicating with staff at the guest services desks very difficult, the same is true with the atrium bat and O’Shehans.   When we returned from our December cruise my PCC called me to see how things went and specifically asked about the atrium.  I told her about the noise level, etc.  she said NCL was asking PCCs to specifically   According to her they have seen a drop in repeat cruisers who have stated their reluctance to sail the BA and GA is due to atrium noise.

Increased daily fees, decreased services (i.e.once a day, less variety of liquor) and multiple intinery couldn't be the issue?

Nope, it's the atrium noise is why people are not repeating.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, sailorusvi said:

Increased daily fees, decreased services (i.e.once a day, less variety of liquor) and multiple intinery couldn't be the issue?

Nope, it's the atrium noise is why people are not repeating.

Hahaha exactly! The Atrium has no bearing on whether or not I cruise on NCL. It's unfortunate the noise prevents some from enjoying the Atrium and/or the services offered nearby. Personally, I've never had a problem talking with shore excursion or Cruise Next staff. I've also enjoyed playing cards in the Starbucks area on Getaway and over by the internet cafe.

The only time I did not appreciate being in the Atrium was on New Year's Eve, when the entire ship was there. We wandered (more like squeezed ourselves) through and went back to our room pre-midnight. That's the only time I've ever been like, "wow, the Atrium sucks!"

Alas, I can totally understand why others would not appreciate the atmosphere. I'm just good, like scarily good, at tuning out noise. Alas, there are many other reasons we probably won't cruise (any line) for awhile after our March cruise.

The atrium noise is certainly not a deal breaker for me, but it is certainly IS a great annoyance. Whoever is conducting a game  at any particular time YELLS into the microphone and it just kills my ears. I am admittedly noise sensitive so I try to stay away from the Atrium.

• Like 3

I can appreciate people have different tolerance levels.  I also know PCC are sales people and they will say anything to agree with you to sell you a different cruise.  

If NCL really believes the noise level in the atrium is the reason why people are not rebooking, they are delusional.    

If passengers are really using the excuse the noise level of the atrium as a reason why they are not rebooking, they are the type who like to complain for the sake of complaining.  Working in hospitality I know the type.

Again, I can appreciate the OP frustration. I truly get it.  We all have triggers. I'm just not buying its the reason why people are not rebooking as stated by the PCC.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Unless you yourself were there all morning or all afternoon, just how would you know who did or did not move from their seats? If you saw people, then you left and came back and saw the same people, you wouldn't know for certain whether they were there the whole time or if they themselves left and came back while you were gone.

The chair hog threads always have some one who says this! 

• Like 1

It's just so noisy! We tried to eat at the Local on the Encore and it was deafening due to what was going on in the atrium. Never had a problem with seating but I do avoid it due to the noise level. For super bowl on the Jade they had enough chairs for everyone and for some reason they didn't turn the volume up so high so that was an exception.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If full, the Escape has 4500+ passengers. The biggest venue, the Escape Theater, holds 800 passengers. There is never going to be a venue with enough seats to accommodate everyone who decides they want to watch a show. 

Sigh.  Well that's a statement of the obvious if ever there was one.  

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

When we first started cruising, the big event of the afternoon was high tea. You would take your tea in the Grand Ballroom. If you didn't show up early, there were no seats and you would have to serve yourself in the buffet. Cruise lines never have space for all passengers to attend an event. NCL is no different. 

When a venue is consistently standing room only, most people would think that the venue is not large enough.  Apparently, in your mind, high frequency standing room only is correctly sized.  Got it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The atrium volume on the Joy was way too high during the games. We tried eating at O’Sheans once and couldn’t hear each other or the waitstaff.  You couldn’t understand the emcees either at that volume so it was really annoying noise.

For shows and events you want to see, whether in the atrium, Syd's, or a comedy venue, you just need to get there early, grab a spot, enjoy a cocktail (or two or three) and wait. 

We typically circle one thing on the Daily sheet that we really, really want to do and make sure we time our arrival knowing the constraints of the venue.  All other activities we do sort of bend around that one show/event. 

It still leaves spontaneity (and risk of no seat) for other stuff, but that seems to be the reality of so many people co-existing in a floating hotel.

I actually love the vibe of the NCL atriums because of all the buzz that's going on.  But there are downsides and the seating issue is one of them. On Epic, Le Bistro is very close to the Atrium and we were having dinner there and all we could hear was some woman on the microphone and the cooking show that was going on.  It definitely was distracting eating dinner and trying to communicate and compete with the atrium.

Now here is something interesting.  The new ships (Prima/Viva) have a much quieter Atrium and it looks beautiful.  However, I have seen several extensive cruise reviews saying how much they miss the old NCL atriums.  They found the new atriums too shopping mall like, boring, and nothing going on.