Bringing Wine on board

Hottubmomma

17 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Being allowed to bring wine on without a corkage fee if you have the UBP is pretty new, hard liquor will be taken and returned to you the last night. This thread is the first time I’ve heard that they allow beer and wine to be brought onboard, this was never allowed before even with a fee.

Thinking about it. They probably make more profit by pouring less wine because you’re drinking your own. I’m trying to decide now whether to bother with going to Trader Joe’s in Miami Beach. Treating myself to a glass of $22 wine for $7 plus tax tip, and maybe buy a bottle or two at the 20% off. Decisions, Decisions. I hope they have some decent craft beers. A few on the list I’ve seen look interesting. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, goldmom said:

So, when you say that we can bring wine onboard without paying the corkage fee if we have the drink package, is that with the regular FAS drink package or only with the upgraded drink package?

Thanks

The regular FAS drink package is all you need. I quoted the (poorly written) rule in post #23:

"Corkage Fee is not applicable to guest with beverage package "

14 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

They'll take that from you and hold it until the night before disembarking where you get it back.

Thank you, as this is fine with us.   At what point do they take it?  When you drop off the luggage or when you actually check in at the counter?

5 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Thank you, as this is fine with us.   At what point do they take it?  When you drop off the luggage or when you actually check in at the counter?

When you drop it off and it goes through the scanners. Anything on the naughty list gets pulled out and I believe they check it against the tag on the bag to document who it needs to be matched up with at the end.

that change in the corkage fee is great to know.. I'll have a couple of days in Seattle pre-cruise  so I was thinking i may have to identify any of the local wines I wanted to bring home and pick them up after the cruise. Also if the friend I'm try to persuade to come does so it'll be her 40th birthday on-board so I can bring a bottle of bubbly to celebrate it.

For anyone that has experience with the new policy, are you allowed to bring the wine/bubbly you brought with you to the restaurants or is it restricted to cabin use only?

20 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

that change in the corkage fee is great to know.. I'll have a couple of days in Seattle pre-cruise  so I was thinking i may have to identify any of the local wines I wanted to bring home and pick them up after the cruise. Also if the friend I'm try to persuade to come does so it'll be her 40th birthday on-board so I can bring a bottle of bubbly to celebrate it.

For anyone that has experience with the new policy, are you allowed to bring the wine/bubbly you brought with you to the restaurants or is it restricted to cabin use only?

We brought bubbly, but chose to drink it in our cabin. While we're out and about there are folks who can run and grab us anything. The stuff we bring on board with us for when we're lazy in our room and want some fun.

I don't bother with the drink packages because hubby doesn't drink and I only have maybe one or two a day depending on if it's a sea day. I do like Asti and bring a bottle each cruise. It's been fifty fifty for a corkage fee and we don't generally have to fly for any NCL trips.

Can't you buy wine in the airport after security? I had a nice red packed in my checked bag coming home once as a gift. Thought in the middle of the case well wrapped in my clothes would be fine, needless to say it wasn't. If ever again would encase in plastic so if it breaks won't ruin my clothes.

Just my experience.

5 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

I don't bother with the drink packages because hubby doesn't drink and I only have maybe one or two a day depending on if it's a sea day. I do like Asti and bring a bottle each cruise. It's been fifty fifty for a corkage fee and we don't generally have to fly for any NCL trips.

Can't you buy wine in the airport after security? I had a nice red packed in my checked bag coming home once as a gift. Thought in the middle of the case well wrapped in my clothes would be fine, needless to say it wasn't. If ever again would encase in plastic so if it breaks won't ruin my clothes.

Just my experience.

Explore wine diapers at Amazon.

4 hours ago, eileeshb said:

You can drink the wine anywhere including restaurants. 

Try to get to Woodinville for wine, there are over 100 wineries and tasting rooms, let me know if you want any recommendations. 

Edited by fastpitchdad

On 1/29/2023 at 4:55 PM, fastpitchdad said:

You can drink the wine anywhere including restaurants. 

Try to get to Woodinville for wine, there are over 100 wineries and tasting rooms, let me know if you want any recommendations. 

I'll hopefully have 2 full days in Seattle pre-cruise and I'm hoping to avoid renting a car, so if you know any tour company that does NOT charge and arm and a leg I'll certainly consider it. There are a couple of places pike place market that offer tastings from local wineries and I came across a mention of another but I couldn't track it down on google maps.

There's also the copperworks distillery to visit on the waterfront. And I think I spotted another distillery in Skagway but unfortunately their products are based on corn spirits so while I could taste I wouldn't buy as I have a corn intolerance and yes it kicks my butt even after distillation.  

58 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

I'll hopefully have 2 full days in Seattle pre-cruise and I'm hoping to avoid renting a car, so if you know any tour company that does NOT charge and arm and a leg I'll certainly consider it. There are a couple of places pike place market that offer tastings from local wineries and I came across a mention of another but I couldn't track it down on google maps.

There's also the copperworks distillery to visit on the waterfront. And I think I spotted another distillery in Skagway but unfortunately their products are based on corn spirits so while I could taste I wouldn't buy as I have a corn intolerance and yes it kicks my butt even after distillation.  

I only know of wine tours and they are $100+. I will ask around. The good news is that the wineries are in clusters (Hollywood, Warehouse, Wine Alley, etc.) so if you can get there you would have plenty to choose from to just walk around and taste. 

An alternative would be Sodo ( https://sodo-urbanworks.com/about-sodo/ ) on the south side of Seattle and only about a 3 mile Uber/Lyft/Cab. It is also a nice area with some good wines. 

Puzzled, don't mean to offend those who enjoy the spirits, but why does NCL allow wine to be brought on (and I understand you pay a "corkage fee) but not sodas?  Both wine and sodas are offered in their "beverage packages" sounds like a little discrimination on non-alcohol drinkers...

27 minutes ago, ERNLYN said:

Puzzled, don't mean to offend those who enjoy the spirits, but why does NCL allow wine to be brought on (and I understand you pay a "corkage fee) but not sodas?  Both wine and sodas are offered in their "beverage packages" sounds like a little discrimination on non-alcohol drinkers...

Simple.  One has to buy a beverage package to bring a board wine without corkage fee.  

NCL saves money since your drinking your wine and not theirs.

NCL doesn't want  you to bring your own sodas for the same reason you want to bring sodas.  The markup on soda is extremely high.  When people are allowed to bring soda, they bring cases, cases, cases.  If you're a non-alcohol drinker, they want you to buy their soda package with it's high markups.

BTW, non-alcohol drinkers are not a protected class for discrimination purposes.

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2023 at 4:33 PM, mjkacmom said:

If you have the UBP, you can bring unlimited bottles of wine, if not it’s $15 a bottle. My sister always travels with a wind suitcase.

Your sister is my soul sister ! I’ve looked at those lovely suitcases but we’ve been successful using Wine Wings (Amazon)  and padding with dirty clothes with the alcohol inside dry bags in case if breakage.

7 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

And this was on NCL?  I didnt even realize you could bring wine or beer on board, even if you have the Beverage Package.

Wine, yes. Beer - only during ports of call. The wine we brought on at embarkation, the beer & cans of cider we brought back from excursions with no issue.