Considering an MSC cruise, BUT...

sockmonkeygirl

I get seasick like no one's business. 🤢

How quickly can I get a scopolamine patch on board, and how much will it cost? (In the event that I cannot obtain/bring my own, of course)

The ship I am considering is the Meraviglia, if anyone has any insight or opinion about the ship.

Thank you. ☺️

29 minutes ago, sockmonkeygirl said:

How quickly can I get a scopolamine patch on board, and how much will it cost? (In the event that I cannot obtain/bring my own, of course)

The ship I am considering is the Meraviglia, if anyone has any insight or opinion about the ship.

Thank you. ☺️

Why wouldn’t you be able to get the patches before you get on board ???   
order them now Lolol.  

read my review about the pay to see shows I just posted.   

and get ready for long lines to everything.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sockmonkeygirl said:

Thank you. ☺️

Just bring your own with you.  Problem solved.  The issue might be trying to find that (or any other med) when the ship's stores are closed or after hours.  A late night visit to the medical center will cost you BIG BIG BIG dollars.  It's always important (IMO) to have your own first aid kit when you cruise.   To note, we've added 4 covid tests to ours now, "just in case."  I'd rather self diagnose first should something happen. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Morgsmom said:

Just bring your own with you.  Problem solved.  The issue might be trying to find that (or any other med) when the ship's stores are closed or after hours.  A late night visit to the medical center will cost you BIG BIG BIG dollars.  It's always important (IMO) to have your own first aid kit when you cruise.   To note, we've added 4 covid tests to ours now, "just in case."  I'd rather self diagnose first should something happen. 

Good idea on adding a few Covid tests! And yes to the travel first aid kit. Mine has just about any OTC med you can think of, cold meds, digital thermometer, etc. Most times we don't need it at all, but there've been a couple of times over the years where it came in handy.

4 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

Why wouldn’t you be able to get the patches before you get on board ???   
order them now Lolol.  

My Dr left the practice, and they won't give me a prescription without being seen...but the are booking appointments out into May.  Cruise is in April.  Is there another way to get a prescription before going?  

4 minutes ago, sockmonkeygirl said:

My Dr left the practice, and they won't give me a prescription without being seen...but the are booking appointments out into May.  Cruise is in April.  Is there another way to get a prescription before going?  

I'd just stop by an urgent care clinic. I know the ones here will prescribe them unless there is a conflicting reason not to do so.

Our local Costco sells the patches as do drugstores.  I will tell you that my husband has awful motion sickness and has never been seasick on 12 cruises, including some roughish ones.  We still bring the meds with us just in case. 

Large modern cruise ships really do not move around much, they are big enough to bridge multiple waves.

Last 3 cruises I have been on, Divina, Freedom and Meraviglia have all been very smooth.

Even when Divina was being pounded by 50 knot side winds, she was still maintaining 22 knots and had more of a determined slight shudder rather than the pitching and swaying of olde.

Also, I don't know if anyone else has noticed this....I have to stay away from coffee before and during a cruise otherwise I do feel sick if it is rough.

15 hours ago, quattrohead said:

Large modern cruise ships really do not move around much, they are big enough to bridge multiple waves.

Last 3 cruises I have been on, Divina, Freedom and Meraviglia have all been very smooth.

Even when Divina was being pounded by 50 knot side winds, she was still maintaining 22 knots and had more of a determined slight shudder rather than the pitching and swaying of olde.

Also, I don't know if anyone else has noticed this....I have to stay away from coffee before and during a cruise otherwise I do feel sick if it is rough.

My last night on Divina in May was WILD.  The roughest I've had on a cruise yet. I was also in an Aft cabin though.  

Edited by 1kaper

18 hours ago, sockmonkeygirl said:

I've done it through CVS Minute Clinic. You can make the appointment online. There's an option for travel. Then pick motion sickness prevention. Can do in person or virtual. Don't need to fill the script at CVS either (my prescription plan excludes CVS).

Edited by trueeden

On 1/27/2023 at 6:23 AM, 1kaper said:

My last night on Divina in May was WILD.  The roughest I've had on a cruise yet. I was also in an Aft cabin though.  

So were we !!!

I suppose its ones definition of wild.

The great storm of 1993....walk on floor, walk on left wall, walk on floor, walk on right wall etc. Commodore Caribe1. I think Crown Monarch was already suffering a bent nose and had the gift shop totally trashed in the same storm.

• Haha 1

On 1/26/2023 at 3:08 PM, quattrohead said:

lol That’s the Divina cruise we were aft facing neighbors with you guys in 2021 right? 

That ride back to Port Canaveral on the last night was wild lol

OP try MotionEaze it is a topical all natural oil that you put behind your ear. 
Walmart sometimes has it but Amazon always has it. 

I get motion sickness sitting on a raft in a pool so I feel your pain. I don’t let it stop me from cruising though. 
Someone at our dinner table gave me this stuff on a cruise years ago because I was sick. 

I’ve never used anything since. It really works and it doesn’t make you drowsy or have dry mouth like the patch did for me. 

250394E3-B0CD-4B15-A277-112D0121B1F9.jpeg

Totally aside from the patches discussion, but does MSC have like any sushi stations? If you grab and eat some of the ginger that's usually at those stations, that will deal with motion sickness surprisingly quickly - had some aboard a rough night on Celebrity once and it saved me

On 1/26/2023 at 1:09 PM, sockmonkeygirl said:

I would probably find a new practice. If yours does not have any appointments for 4 months, well, I think that is unacceptable.  From my husband's experience, we have learned a couple of things about the patches.  One is that the cruise line may not even prescribe them while on board.  From experience we know that Celebrity did not when he forgot his at home.  The other thing he has learned is that he must have a patch on at least 4 hours prior to waves.  Otherwise he will get sick. 

Another option is to find an Asian grocery store.  Scopolamine is OTC in Asia. 

On 1/26/2023 at 3:08 PM, quattrohead said:

If you suffer from motion sickness, they do move around!  Plus you never know what you will encounter for weather/waves.  Our first cruise on DCL had 35 ft waves.  In March.

On 1/26/2023 at 7:52 PM, basketballdad said:

patches make many people sicker than going without.

Depends on the person.  In my husband's case he drinks (not alcohol, he doesn't partake) a little more due to the patch making you thirsty but otherwise he has never gotten sick (after 30+ cruises).

If not for the patch, that first DCL cruise would have been our last.

@Muushkayour husband is very lucky the scopolamine patch doesn’t give him any adverse reactions.
I used them a few times years ago without any problems.
Back then the patch lasted 2 days. 
The last prescription I got it said they lasted 3 days.

I guess it’s stronger now or the pharmacist gave me a different brand. Not sure. 

So I put it on and after 3 days I changed it and then by day 6 I started experiencing pins and needles on the left side of my face, mouth and neck. My lips were so numb I couldn’t speak right. I thought I was having a stroke. It was very scary. 

The doctor on board told me it was most likely from the patch as my BP and vitals were normal and that was the only medication I was on.  
He removed the patch and put me on a saline IV to help flush it out of my system but it took over 24hrs before the pins and needles feeling disappeared completely. 

It scared me enough that I never used it again, especially after the doctor told me he sees this reaction often. 

If anyone has these symptoms when using it remove it immediately and see the doctor.  

8 minutes ago, styles27 said:

@Muushkayour husband is very lucky the scopolamine patch doesn’t give him any adverse reactions.
I used them a few times years ago without any problems.
Back then the patch lasted 2 days. 
The last prescription I got it said they lasted 3 days.

I guess it’s stronger now or the pharmacist gave me a different brand. Not sure. 

So I put it on and after 3 days I changed it and then by day 6 I started experiencing pins and needles on the left side of my face, mouth and neck. My lips were so numb I couldn’t speak right. I thought I was having a stroke. It was very scary. 

The doctor on board told me it was most likely from the patch as my BP and vitals were normal and that was the only medication I was on.  
He removed the patch and put me on a saline IV to help flush it out of my system but it took over 24hrs before the pins and needles feeling disappeared completely. 

It scared me enough that I never used it again, especially after the doctor told me he sees this reaction often. 

If anyone has these symptoms when using it remove it immediately and see the doctor.  

Yes, that's why I gave that "depends on the person" disclaimer.  I think if anyone is fearful that they may have an adverse reaction to the patch, perhaps try it on dry land, and not experiment on a cruise.  Yep, it does last 3 days.  A godsend to my husband!  Sorry not for you.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, styles27 said:

" . . . husband is very lucky the scopolamine patch doesn’t give him any adverse reactions."

Strictly speaking, saying the husband is lucky that nothing adverse occurred, implies adverse outcomes are more typical.

I suggest it may be more accurate to say you were unlucky, and did not have problem-free use of the patch.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Muushka said:

Yes, that's why I gave that "depends on the person" disclaimer.  I think if anyone is fearful that they may have an adverse reaction to the patch, perhaps try it on dry land, and not experiment on a cruise.  Yep, it does last 3 days.  A godsend to my husband!  Sorry not for you.

I wish they still made the 2 day patch, I used it on a few trips without a problem.

On 1/26/2023 at 1:24 PM, stoddaj1 said:

Our local Costco sells the patches as do drugstores.  I will tell you that my husband has awful motion sickness and has never been seasick on 12 cruises, including some roughish ones.  We still bring the meds with us just in case. 

I'm like your husband. I can barely look down at my phone in a moving car (passenger 😃) but have never been seasick on any cruise, including one where we were out at sea during Hurricane Sandy. I do, however, take Bonine at bedtime starting the night before we board. My husband is also prone to seasickness and doesn't take anything and has also never been sick.

On 1/26/2023 at 1:09 PM, sockmonkeygirl said:

telemedicine

• Like 1