NCLH Will Be Upgrading To Starlink

njhorseman

• njhorseman changed the title to NCLH Will Be Upgrading To Starlink
2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Per this new posting on the Oceania board the Starlink test on Breakaway has been completed, contracts have been signed and the entire NCLH fleet will have it installed.

Very cool. 

In October, the wifi on the Prima was unusable, even taking down some of the ship's systems. Was better in December. 

Edited by BirdTravels

7 minutes ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

I wonder how quickly  this will be installed.  I wasn't planning on purchasing any package for the Prima Iceland/norway sailing this summer.  This is a long overdue improvement. 

Per the thread I cited NCL ships would be the first in the fleet to have Starlink operational followed by Regent Seven Seas and then Oceania. The entire NCLH fleet should have Starlink by year's end.

They say that it's a very simple installation process so I would think there's a good chance it will be on Prima by the time of your cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, njhorseman said:

They say that it's a very simple installation process so I would think there's a good chance it will be on Prima by the time of your cruise.

I realize that an entire ship process would be different from home set up.....but we have starlink and it is exactly two pieces. plug the electrical cord into an outlet and the cord from the router into the unit.  Fast internet in 10 mins or less. if the equipment would be just slightly smaller I could bring my own, just add the fee for additional "zones". LOL 

The problem will be in getting the equipment, I am sure NCL has enough pull to jump the waiting list,  it took us 11 months before getting our equipment

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lfdemt said:

I realize that an entire ship process would be different from home set up.....but we have starlink and it is exactly two pieces. plug the electrical cord into an outlet and the cord from the router into the unit.  Fast internet in 10 mins or less. if the equipment would be just slightly smaller I could bring my own, just add the fee for additional "zones". LOL 

The problem will be in getting the equipment, I am sure NCL has enough pull to jump the waiting list,  it took us 11 months before getting our equipment

What is the latency?

2 hours ago, lfdemt said:

plug the electrical cord into an outlet and the cord from the router into the unit

It might be a little more complex, especially on the scale of a cruise ship.  They probably need multiple receiver units.  Not sure if the existing cabling is correct and these would just plug in place of the existing receivers.

2 hours ago, lfdemt said:

I'm almost certain they're going to be getting different equipment than your consumer-grade unit for which there is a long wait.

This article might help understand some of that - https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/starlink-wins-fcc-approval-to-supply-broadband-to-moving-vehicles/

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

What is the latency?

I am not a computer person at all, but here is the data from my app.  Latency- min 23ms, Max 80ms

No clue what that means.  But as far as speeds go the fastest provider in the area that we got rid of was 4mbps download, maybe .5mbps upload.  Now we get an average of 85 mbps down (sometimes over 100) and 12mbps upload. We have been extremely pleased with the performance and we live in snow areas and the "dish" does well in weather too. 

Edited by lfdemt
typo

15 minutes ago, lfdemt said:

I am not a computer person at all, but here is the data from my app.  Latency- min 23ms, Max 80ms

No clue what that means.  But as far as speeds go the fastest provider in the area that we got rid of was 4mbps download, maybe .5mbps upload.  Now we get an average of 85 mbps down (sometimes over 100) and 12mbps upload. We have been extremely pleased with the performance and we live in snow areas and the "dish" does well in weather too. 

23ms is pretty good and 80ms is ok, not horrible. I am surprised you get 12mbps up, that is really good for sat.   

• Like 1

On the BA right now, Starlink up and running, as per the ICafe manager the GA will be next followed by the Escape and then Prima. All the Away+ ships will have the upgrade, no plans for the smaller ships

• Like 1

14 hours ago, itsnotjustme said:

I would be curious if Starlink has authorization to operate within ALL the countries NCL sails.

https://www.starlink.com/map

Interesting I looked at that map a while back and at that stage alaska was showing as "waitlist" but it's now showing as available. I do see a lot of Caribbean still "coming soon" as is North Africa. The southern hemisphere is definitely lacking in coverage but if it looks like ships will be a major income stream I expect we'll see coverage over the oceans to improve rapidly.

38 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

I do see a lot of Caribbean still "coming soon" as is North Africa. The southern hemisphere is definitely lacking in coverage but if it looks like ships will be a major income stream I expect we'll see coverage over the oceans to improve rapidly.

I wonder if cruise lines will maintain receivers for the existing systems on their ships so as to maintain coverage where Starlink may not work.  It's also possible that the CONSUMER service is not available in those areas but commercial service that would be used on the ships may be.

40 minutes ago, dgakapluto said:

Anyone have an idea how long it would take them to get everything installed and running on a ship?

Wiring chases exist, mounting locations exist.  In theory it would be as simple as running the needed compatible cables from the mounting locations for the receivers to the 'demarcation' room, where it would connect to the ship's system.  If the hardware has been delivered and all works well it shouldn't take a ton of time.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1