Harmony of the seas right now, my AC broke and RC could care less HELP!

On 1/29/2023 at 6:40 PM, Ashland said:

I've found RCI onboard staff to be very responsive to in cabin problems.

Last year on Jewel we had a bad sewage smell problem in our OS during our Arctic Circle itinerary. Our steward reported the ongoing problem and it escalated up the onboard chain. The SL Concierge offered us 20% off the base cruise fare as an FCC. 

Just off Navigator and our OS cabin door wasn't pulled close all the way we noticed on one of returns to our cabin. We told our steward and it too was escalated to security...video tapes were apparently checked we were told. Because of this security issue we were given a 15% FCC.

You have to know the FCC is unusual for repairs. These problems happen everyday and are simply fixed. No compensation. You must be asking to be compensated IMHO.

11 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

You have to know the FCC is unusual for repairs. These problems happen everyday and are simply fixed. No compensation. You must be asking to be compensated IMHO.

Though Depends on how major the issue, like a Blocked/Broke Toilet is common issue and wouldnt expect anything but it be fixed. At least twice a yr Cabin next to me clogs our connections so I call Maintenance. Received FCC 3 times last 4yrs, never asked, they offered... 

Funny thing is, the cruise that had everything bad happen to us was my favorite!  It became such a running joke with all the people we met... "what will happen, next", and sure enough stuff did!  Our positive attitude really made the difference.

We had a medical emergency with an emergency landing, missed our connection and all 12 of us had to buy tickets to get to port of NO.  Daughter 12, left her purse on the cab with her passport as the taxi pulled away and we ran to the pier check in.. (there were 20 of us total on that first plane) so the ship waited a few minutes. Daughter allowed on board (found her birth cert in a stack of purse papers).

Three days no luggage, missed formal night, they wouldn't let us in with our free ship shape Tshirts. Went to Windjammer and I had an allergic seafood reaction, had to get epi and benadryl in the medical center. Got seasick and threw up on my only shirt and shorts and sneakers.

Aruba our rented minivan got a flat tire.. the spare was FLAT too, took 4 hours for them to bring us a new tire. Meanwhile, under the shade of a tree, three of the kids were attacked by bees.  One swells up, and I overdosed him with the Benadryl I had. So we missed Aruba.

On sea day, no one is allowed in the pools with their shorts and T shirts on- random good folks went everywhere looking for bathing suits for us to borrow and we got them! I never knew who to return them to. Later that night the 14-year-old got lost for hours and was too embarrassed to ask for help, We had to report her as missing to security, and our evening was cut short.

Cozumel, We see our luggage sitting out on the port with the other 8 peoples' and cheer! We sent everyone to the excursion but husband and myself to gather luggage.. hours later nothing.. we get a call to go to the naughty room, my luggage with snuck on alcohol on board was found.  They said we could keep it!  Noticed a bag dripping back to the cabin.. three bottles of carefully packed wine broke and ruined my clothes, lol. We missed cozumel, everyone else had fun. yet one person's bags never made it. 

by now hundreds of people on the ship knew us, would buy us drinks and listen to our tales, offer clothes to me and the teen and we even had borrowed formal wear for the second night. 

Young adult friend of my daughter was pregnant and started spotting in San Juan, we were on a dang walking tour and had to get her to the hospital, she ended up ok, just needed hydration.

So not to hijack the thread, but even just typing this I am still smiling.  What an adventure into making lemonade with the lemons.

Edited by nimbex1970
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5

Call the front desk and tell them what Maintenance told you and what happened. Ask if there's an available room to switch to.

If you're a C&A member, call the Ambassador desk, they can also intervene.

Maintenance may not have the part onboard, so yes, you may have to wait a day or two, but not the entire trip, especially if you keep going to Guest Services or the Ambassador desk. There's not much they can do if they don't have the part, so you may have to wait until the next port day.

8 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

There's not much they can do if they don't have the part, so you may have to wait until the next port day.

Most of the things onboard cannot be found at Home Depot, or even most wholesale hardware suppliers, so "getting a part" in a port call is not likely.

I almost forgot to add: while it's great that you told your cabin steward, they might not know English well enough to know what you're talking about. Even if they do, they will most likely not be in a position to help, since sometimes Maintenance issues require certain training and certifications. That's why your first step should always be to Guest Services or the Ambassador desk for issues like this.

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Most of the things onboard cannot be found at Home Depot, or even most wholesale hardware suppliers, so "getting a part" in a port call is not likely.

They may have vendors that can supply them, so yes, it's likely that they can get missing parts while in port.

Edited by broadwaybaby123

23 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

They may have vendors that can supply them, so yes, it's likely that they can get missing parts while in port.

After 46 years in marine engineering, on all types of ships, dealing with all kinds of marine vendors in ports around the world, I know this is not correct.  But, JMHO.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I almost forgot to add: while it's great that you told your cabin steward, they might not know English well enough to know what you're talking about. Even if they do, they will most likely not be in a position to help, since sometimes Maintenance issues require certain training and certifications. That's why your first step should always be to Guest Services or the Ambassador desk for issues like this.

Bad advice.  Crew on the ship start at the bottom and work their way up.  Most cabin stewards started out cleaning in crew-only areas and in common areas and public bathrooms.  They don't get promoted to a passenger-facing position like stateroom steward without a working knowledge of English to do the job and communicate with guests.  (And the cruise lines offer English lessons onboard for those without the English skills for the promotion they desire.) 

In 60+ cruises I've had almost everything possible break in a stareroom... TV, remote control, minibar, phone, toilet, safe... and smoke coming into my cabin from the crew smoking area.  Every time I told a steward (I do usually ask them to come see exactly what is wrong), they took ownership of the problem, and if it wasn't something they could fix themselves they knew exactly who to call to fix it.   That lets me go about my cruise instead of sitting in my cabin waiting for maintenence to show up or wondering if guest services has even passed along the issue yet.  When I come back to my cabin, they usually see me in the hallway and tell me the problem is fixed before I even get back to my cabin.

Sometimes the stewards deserve more credit than they're given. 

• Like 2

On 2/12/2023 at 2:32 PM, cruiseboy89130 said:

We always leave the door open at night!

No need for AC!

On 2/12/2023 at 2:32 PM, cruiseboy89130 said:

We always leave the door open at night!

No need for AC!

Because I am always the bad example for why not to do something, I left the balcony door open and the weather turned really bad.  I let in a whole village of no seeums.  My legs were eaten completely up with them and they had to fumigate my room.  I was so embarrassed.  Well, nobody to blame but me.  I actually sat down a wrote a letter to the hotel director and apologized for my ignorance.  I know my cabin steward was so worried that she was going to get blamed for the bugs in my room.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 1/26/2023 at 4:20 PM, fuglynchalenged said:

This is the worst vacation I have ever had.  I know you guys are biased  and will most likely give me a lot of flack for this post but I need to get it off my chest before I explode  

The ship is the exact same as the other ships in this class we have sailed like the oasis, allure and symphony. The only difference is this ship is really old it seems. When we first got here the stateroom was gross. It was dirty and dusty, it was in really bad shape. Maybe the state room attendant was having a bad day or something so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and I didn’t really mind. Our balcony door barely opens. It is just terrible. The food is just all-around awful. I’ve never had so much burnt old food in my life. the staff, well, I should say most of them, I’ve been nothing but rude and just awful. The freestyle Coke machines always broken like I mean always there have been several times where none of them have been working. Why did I pay $250 for a cup if none of them work?  One of our ports got cancelled and they did nothing about it. 

But I don’t even care about any of that, however, what I do care about is that OUR AC broke and they couldn’t care less. They don’t give a flying crap and won’t do anything to help us. Maintenance came over twice and gave us some copout answer by saying that when the sun goes down, the AC will work, however, three hours later when the sun went down, the AC is still broken. So now I have to spend the rest of my trip in a hot and uncomfortable room? I’d rather be at home with the snow. This is my ninth cruise and they just don’t care about their customers I guess so I don’t care about them either. I’m going to be switching cruise lines because this is pathetic! 

May I ask what's the cabin #? Thanks 

22 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Bad advice.  Crew on the ship start at the bottom and work their way up.  Most cabin stewards started out cleaning in crew-only areas and in common areas and public bathrooms.  They don't get promoted to a passenger-facing position like stateroom steward without a working knowledge of English to do the job and communicate with guests.  (And the cruise lines offer English lessons onboard for those without the English skills for the promotion they desire.) 

In 60+ cruises I've had almost everything possible break in a stareroom... TV, remote control, minibar, phone, toilet, safe... and smoke coming into my cabin from the crew smoking area.  Every time I told a steward (I do usually ask them to come see exactly what is wrong), they took ownership of the problem, and if it wasn't something they could fix themselves they knew exactly who to call to fix it.   That lets me go about my cruise instead of sitting in my cabin waiting for maintenence to show up or wondering if guest services has even passed along the issue yet.  When I come back to my cabin, they usually see me in the hallway and tell me the problem is fixed before I even get back to my cabin.

Sometimes the stewards deserve more credit than they're given. 

Not entirely true. I just got off Oasis, we had communication issues with our Cabin Steward who spoke English but didn't necessarily understand it. It wasn't until we went to Guest Services that our needs were met.

1 hour ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Not entirely true. I just got off Oasis, we had communication issues with our Cabin Steward who spoke English but didn't necessarily understand it. It wasn't until we went to Guest Services that our needs were met.

Same on Explorer. My guess is English lessons have stopped. 

On 2/12/2023 at 4:02 PM, shipgeeks said:

I imagine your neighbors don't appreciate that.  It will shut down their AC, too.

It shouldn't. It should only kill the fan for your room. Just as the card slot being empty only kills power to your room. Only trip in connecting rooms my balcony door being open did not effect the neighboring room's AC.

4 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

we had the same problem on Oasis last November.  I think our attendant also had to take any notes we left him to someone else to read them for him.  I'm not complaining, just mentioning it.

14 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

10 hours ago, Grandma Petania said:

we had the same problem on Oasis last November.  I think our attendant also had to take any notes we left him to someone else to read them for him.  I'm not complaining, just mentioning it.

That's one of my issues with many businesses that hire foreign entities, of none English speaking countries to do customer service in/for English speaking countries.  As I've said in here a few times, many of these folks speak English much better that I do.  But, they don't understand the lexicon.  I always give the example of:  Me - I'm fix'in to cruise.  Customer Service - Why, what is broken.  

There is no good answer or solution to this issue, I fully understand that.  But, it can be a bit of an irritant.  

Edited by Ret MP

13 hours ago, RedIguana said:

It shouldn't. It should only kill the fan for your room. Just as the card slot being empty only kills power to your room. Only trip in connecting rooms my balcony door being open did not effect the neighboring room's AC.

Paging Chief Engineer Cheng!  Care to set the matter straight?

On 2/12/2023 at 6:21 PM, nimbex1970 said:

Funny thing is, the cruise that had everything bad happen to us was my favorite!  It became such a running joke with all the people we met... "what will happen, next", and sure enough stuff did!  Our positive attitude really made the difference.

We had a medical emergency with an emergency landing, missed our connection and all 12 of us had to buy tickets to get to port of NO.  Daughter 12, left her purse on the cab with her passport as the taxi pulled away and we ran to the pier check in.. (there were 20 of us total on that first plane) so the ship waited a few minutes. Daughter allowed on board (found her birth cert in a stack of purse papers).

Three days no luggage, missed formal night, they wouldn't let us in with our free ship shape Tshirts. Went to Windjammer and I had an allergic seafood reaction, had to get epi and benadryl in the medical center. Got seasick and threw up on my only shirt and shorts and sneakers.

Aruba our rented minivan got a flat tire.. the spare was FLAT too, took 4 hours for them to bring us a new tire. Meanwhile, under the shade of a tree, three of the kids were attacked by bees.  One swells up, and I overdosed him with the Benadryl I had. So we missed Aruba.

On sea day, no one is allowed in the pools with their shorts and T shirts on- random good folks went everywhere looking for bathing suits for us to borrow and we got them! I never knew who to return them to. Later that night the 14-year-old got lost for hours and was too embarrassed to ask for help, We had to report her as missing to security, and our evening was cut short.

Cozumel, We see our luggage sitting out on the port with the other 8 peoples' and cheer! We sent everyone to the excursion but husband and myself to gather luggage.. hours later nothing.. we get a call to go to the naughty room, my luggage with snuck on alcohol on board was found.  They said we could keep it!  Noticed a bag dripping back to the cabin.. three bottles of carefully packed wine broke and ruined my clothes, lol. We missed cozumel, everyone else had fun. yet one person's bags never made it. 

by now hundreds of people on the ship knew us, would buy us drinks and listen to our tales, offer clothes to me and the teen and we even had borrowed formal wear for the second night. 

Young adult friend of my daughter was pregnant and started spotting in San Juan, we were on a dang walking tour and had to get her to the hospital, she ended up ok, just needed hydration.

So not to hijack the thread, but even just typing this I am still smiling.  What an adventure into making lemonade with the lemons.

Omg i LOL'd at this but also cringed for you as well ... why did "The Out of Towners" pop into my head when i read all that?    What a trip ... but u sure kept ur sense of humor!