Crown & Anchor for Kids Turning 18

LuCruise

Question about kids and crown and anchor status. 

After our March cruise we will be only a couple points away from Diamond...but still Emerald.

In April, our son turns 18.

DH and I have been on more cruises than our kids.  If we add up points for cruises he has actually has been on, it's mid 30s.

From what I understand, once he turns 18, he maintains his status but his points revert to mid 30s?  It's a shame we aren't one cruise ahead.  (Emerald doesn't do much)    

Edited by LuCruise

14 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Question about kids and crown and anchor status. 

After our March cruise we will be only a couple points away from Diamond...but still Emerald.

In April, our son turns 18.

DH and I have been on more cruises than our kids.  If we add up points for cruises he has actually has been on, it's mid 30s.

From what I understand, once he turns 18, he maintains his status but his points revert to mid 30s?  It's a shame we aren't one cruise ahead.  (Emerald doesn't do much)    

Correct.  He will maintain the status but evert to his own actual points.  He will stay emerald but have 30 something of his own points

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It's unfortunate that they set the age at 18 when you have to be 21 to sail by yourself and to drink (North American sailings)

So true.  And yet for pricing, kids are adults when they turn 13 (i.e. no KSF after 12).  Guess whatever benefits on their side.  

At least our younger one should get to and maintain Diamond once we get there after our end of the year cruise.

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

So true.  And yet for pricing, kids are adults when they turn 13 (i.e. no KSF after 12).  Guess whatever benefits on their side.  

At least our younger one should get to and maintain Diamond once we get there after our end of the year cruise.

MY kids are Ds and grandkids also, thru my lineage.😊

• Like 1

We have a similar situation where our youngest (now 15) will be Diamond when he turns 18 because we are turning Diamond this year. However, our two daughters are 21 and 18 already. All of the kids have 46 points on their own (and will get another 7 this year) so eventually all our will get there if they continue to cruise with us.

• Like 1

OP, would you or your husband consider searching for a cheap three night cruise before April ? That would take care of your  soon to be 18 year old son and get him Diamond.  Although, I am guessing it would be too difficult to squeeze In before or after your March cruise 

Edited by The Fun Researcher

It has been known to happen that sometimes RCI fails to keep up with someone's age, C&A points and C&A status. Keep an eye on your son's status after he turns 18 and you attain Diamond status. I would not be shocked (or even mildly surprised) if your son turns Diamond when you do.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

OP, would you or your husband consider searching for a cheap three night cruise before April ? That would take care of your  soon to be 18 year old son and get him Diamond.  Although, I am guessing it would be too difficult to squeeze In before or after your March cruise 

Yeah unfortunately not an option as it would be more time off work plus for the cost it wouldn't just be the cruise but price to fly to Florida.  We went on a cruise in December and back then I kept watching the price of JS (which would have brought us to Diamond after our March cruise) but it was double our booking.  So it was hard to justify.  Maybe if we had realized at the time how much it would have helped our DS then we would have switched.  

For our March cruise, JS were very $$$ when I looked, and now everything in suites are are sold out (but wouldn't switch anyways for Oasis prices)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

It has been known to happen that sometimes RCI fails to keep up with someone's age, C&A points and C&A status. Keep an eye on your son's status after he turns 18 and you attain Diamond status. I would not be shocked (or even mildly surprised) if your son turns Diamond when you do.

Nice.  You mean stay silent and just see?  We have a cruise booked end of the year which will bring us to Diamond.  There is no reason anyways for me to reach out and let them know he turned 18 . 

50 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Mine as well. While I appreciate this fact for my family, I also believe it’s a major problem with the program. 

Yes, but also on the plus side it encourages them to be loyal to Royal.

20 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Nice.  You mean stay silent and just see?  We have a cruise booked end of the year which will bring us to Diamond.  There is no reason anyways for me to reach out and let them know he turned 18 . 

Is the year of birth in his profile.  Just wondering if Royal's crack IT system will pick that up.😁

3 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Is the year of birth in his profile.  Just wondering if Royal's crack IT system will pick that up.😁

Yes, he has a crown & anchor and definitely in his profile.  Guess you never know with their IT though.

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

MY kids are Ds and grandkids also, thru my lineage.😊

How did your grandkids turn Diamond thru your lineage?  I thought they had to earn it thru their parents.  That is, unless you took the grandkids on enough cruises to get them to Diamond. 

2 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

How did your grandkids turn Diamond thru your lineage?  I thought they had to earn it thru their parents.  That is, unless you took the grandkids on enough cruises to get them to Diamond. 

Grandkids are Diamond because their parents are Diamond. 
the parents are Diamond because they inherited it from their parents (grandparents) 

This is the phenomenon that I referred to above that is hurting the program. 

There are instances that I have personal knowledge of that are even worse. Inherited status being carried over to 3rd and 4th parties following divorce - that really baffles me. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

No, they got it thru their parents.  However, the parents or my kids do not have sufficient points to be D on their own.  For my grandkids it's a title only as they get very little benefits from the C&A program, until they become adults and they will have earned it on their own.

Edited by nelblu

6 minutes ago, nelblu said:

No, they got it thru their parents.  However, the parents or my kids do not have sufficient points to be D on their own.  For my grandkids it's a title only as they get very little benefits from the C&A program, until they become adults and they will have earned it on their own.

Wouldn't they still get the vouchers for free drinks?  Non-alcoholic of course.

38 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Grandkids are Diamond because their parents are Diamond. 
the parents are Diamond because they inherited it from their parents (grandparents) 

This is the phenomenon that I referred to above that is hurting the program. 

There are instances that I have personal knowledge of that are even worse. Inherited status being carried over to 3rd and 4th parties following divorce - that really baffles me. 

This probably deserves it's own thread as we're diverting from the OP's original question but...

Speaking of C&A members who "Inherited" their status through their parents, spouse, etc. but don't have enough point on their own to be D, or D+:

Off the top of my head (haven't thought it through too much)

Downsides:

1. Crowded Diamond and Concierge Lounges. (this seems to have eased with the 4 or 5 anytime vouchers).  Seems that Royal is already addressing Concierge lounges and removing access to D+.  This might be a direct result of "too many" D+. (not sure if a lot of D+ are inherited or not)
  2. So many D and D+ on any given ship.  I see this being probably the biggest downside.  The cost to Royal for all the drink vouchers and other perks starts to add up to the point that it cuts into the bottom line.  Does this make the program less attractive to Royal, or is the loyalty benefit outweigh the cost?

Benefits:

1. Those that didn't "earn" their points get to have very nice perks for life
  2. (Royal's benefit) These benefits keep cruisers more loyal to Royal, bringing in profit to Royal for each cruise taken.  ...and hopefully these individuals eventually earning their status outright.

6 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Yes, they do.  Mocktails, soda, bottled water, etc...

10 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Wouldn't they still get the vouchers for free drinks?  Non-alcoholic of course.

They purchase their own soda package.  They also pay the normal adult pricing and treated like children.  

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Yeah unfortunately not an option as it would be more time off work plus for the cost it wouldn't just be the cruise but price to fly to Florida.  We went on a cruise in December and back then I kept watching the price of JS (which would have brought us to Diamond after our March cruise) but it was double our booking.  So it was hard to justify.  Maybe if we had realized at the time how much it would have helped our DS then we would have switched.  

For our March cruise, JS were very $$$ when I looked, and now everything in suites are are sold out (but wouldn't switch anyways for Oasis prices)

Can't help with the work, but for flying we do multiple cruises on one flight.  Is there a 3 day that one of you could go on within a day of your March cruise?  Both of you don't have to go to get the points and status for all of you.  Of course this depends on whether you can change flights for free or low cost.

3 hours ago, LeeW said:

Can't help with the work, but for flying we do multiple cruises on one flight.  Is there a 3 day that one of you could go on within a day of your March cruise?  Both of you don't have to go to get the points and status for all of you.  Of course this depends on whether you can change flights for free or low cost.

Thanks for the suggestion.  It's our kids March break.  I gotta laugh at the image of DH and the kids going home while I stay (or switch terminals) to go on a 3 night.  Our dates are pretty set though.

• Haha 1