Monterey port cancelled

Please see below.   Does anyone have any information as to the cause, when it will re-open, etc?

We booked a cruise, specifically to see Monterey again.  Fingers Crossed.

2023 (Please Note All Cruise Ship Visits Suspended Until Further Notice)

March 14, Tuesday - SMS8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Discovery Princess

March 27, Monday - SMS8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.Discovery Princess

March 28, Tues - Inter8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.Solstice

April 11, Tuesday - SMS8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.Discovery Princess

• 1 month later...

To be clear, the city cannot prohibit cruise ships from visiting.  What they did is remove the port support to allow that to happen.  Theoretically cruise lines can provide their own pier support and still visit.  It remains to be seen if that will happen (my stop later this month on Celebrity was cancelled).  Whether it is truly due to the environment is IMHO debatable, but that is the excuse they are using.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, negn said:

Anyone been to Monterey recently.?    We are scheduled to stop there this fall but question if we will.   Wonder if they would substitute another port or apt for an added sea day

Who is "they"? There have been some discussions about some cruise lines still stopping at Monterey, and some replacing Monterey with Santa Barbara.

10 hours ago, negn said:

Anyone been to Monterey recently.?    We are scheduled to stop there this fall but question if we will.   Wonder if they would substitute another port or apt for an added sea day

Our stop was cancelled,  the entire itinerary rearranged, and an overnight in San Francisco added instead of one day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 1:03 PM, phoenix_dream said:

To be clear, the city cannot prohibit cruise ships from visiting.  What they did is remove the port support to allow that to happen.  

It's a municipal pier I assume the city can pass whatever regulations they want.  https://www.cruisemapper.com/news/11483-cruise-ships-no-longer-welcomed-monterey#:~:text=The city council in Monterey (California USA) voted,terminate city services to process disembarking cruise passengers.

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

4 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

No. They can remove services, as they did. Buy they apparently cannot legally prohibit them from docking. I don't understand all the technicalities and the end result is the same, at least for now.

• 1 month later...

I was on Discovery Princess earlier this year when Monterey was cancelled for Santa Barbara. This fall the California cruises on the Princess website are again showing the Monterey stop. I assume that either the city council changed the rule or Princess decided to provide support at the port. Does anyone know for certain? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...