Crew Covid Testing

Benjo8

13 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

On a recent TA, all crew were tested before the cruise.  Am sure crew is tested if symptoms or close exposure of covid 

I suspect TAs are treated differently than other sailings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Since passengers aren’t tested not sure why crew would be tested.

Crew members, especially in bar and dining venues, presumably move among guests more than other guests do and, thus, more likely to spread the virus if they are positive and contagious. 

• Like 1

I'm much more leery of my fellow passengers then the crew. Been to the buffet lately? Or belly up to a bar with dozens of others wanting a drink??

How often do you think the passengers get tested before they board the ship?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

I'm much more leery of my fellow passengers then the crew. Been to the buffet lately? Or belly up to a bar with dozens of others wanting a drink??

How often do you think the passengers get tested before they board the ship?

I don’t disagree, but passenger testing is not coming back anytime soon, if ever. Cruise lines control their staff and can require testing which is not a big deal. I’ll take what I can get as far as testing at this point with Covid among strangers. I test often when visiting family as they do and don’t give it another thought. Happy to be healthy having gotten Covid once on a cruise which was not pleasant.

Flame away - We'd be more likely to consider and promote cruising if health, like crew testing, were a feature.  We wouldn't have ever considered a cruise, and sailed in April 2022, had it not been for the testing, vaccine requirement, and bubble.  Our group included a child who was not yet eligible for a vaccine (then under 5), so that meant testing at Pier 25 and the potential to be denied boarding.  And, all had avoided Covid up to that point, yet desired a warm weather vacation.  We would have gladly paid a premium at the time given the circumstances.  At the time, it seemed as if it was one of the safer vacation experiences.   So, everyone was vaccinated with the exception of a handful of people (the list was not a long one), all were tested, and crew and many passengers were masked.  OVC was served by staff, and almost everyone was respectful of people's space, etc.   Better than most other options that one could book with a few clicks of a mouse (and having to confirm by phone given the wonderful website). There was and will probably never be anything like that window.  None of us tested positive in the aftermath of the trip, which was priceless.  Definitely a different time now, and will continue to evolve. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, jelayne said:

Since passengers aren’t tested not sure why crew would be tested.

Well as we've seen, passengers ARE being tested, itinerary specific.  Testing is alive and well (sadly, imho) on the Eclipse currently on her Aus/NZ/SoPacific season - B2B passengers must undergo mandatory MONITORED testing and to board the ship in the first place, they must present a home test, thus not monitored.  Also, the TA and TP itineraries are requiring a test be presented, though I believe that all of those (have to check that) are also home tests.