News of Celebrity's demise...

Guest 4-2-N-8

36 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

I am .  For that amount of money…it is Queens Grill for me on Cunard which we have sailed many times beginning with the QE2 , QM2, QV.  To each his own if I am wrong but although we are blessed to do as he is doing I would not on Celebrity. Let us see luggage, bathroom with toiletries, etc. There are a lot of influencers on these websites.  perhaps the money is better spent donating to charities which he may do but Not worth it for the Caribbean which islands no disrespect are a dime a dozen. Same with ports in the Med.  I am skeptical and if I am wrong all apologies but…

What the...? I must admit to being totally mystified by your post. Let us see luggage, etc?  Seems like total stream of consciousness...

@4-2-N-8 Really enjoying your review! I haven't been the greatest fan of your posts in the past but you are really hitting it out of the park with your commentary here. Thanks for sharing and keep it coming!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dlh015 said:

What the...? I must admit to being totally mystified by your post. Let us see luggage, etc?  Seems like total stream of consciousness...

@4-2-N-8 Really enjoying your review! I haven't been the greatest fan of your posts in the past but you are really hitting it out of the park with your commentary here. Thanks for sharing and keep it coming!

Yes because I think the poster is an influencer 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LouChamp said:

I am .  For that amount of money…it is Queens Grill for me on Cunard which we have sailed many times beginning with the QE2 , QM2, QV.  To each his own if I am wrong but although we are blessed to do as he is doing I would not on Celebrity. Let us see luggage, bathroom with toiletries, etc. There are a lot of influencers on these websites.  perhaps the money is better spent donating to charities which he may do but Not worth it for the Caribbean which islands no disrespect are a dime a dozen. Same with ports in the Med.  I am skeptical and if I am wrong all apologies but…

Since Crystal is gone there aren't many cruise lines anymore where you find a contemporary experience with a luxury moniker. And you can hardly call Cunard contemporary. Luxury is one thing, but if you're in the affluent age group of 35-60 then Cunard isn't really an attractive option, more a geriatric ward. So I do get folks who have a lot of cash to spend stick to The Retreat upper class suites the NCL's Haven.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fly and Sail said:

Since Crystal is gone there aren't many cruise lines anymore where you find a contemporary experience with a luxury moniker. And you can hardly call Cunard contemporary. Luxury is one thing, but if you're in the affluent age group of 35-60 then Cunard isn't really an attractive option, more a geriatric ward. So I do get folks who have a lot of cash to spend stick to The Retreat upper class suites the NCL's Haven.

Crystal itineraries are out today. They are under new ownership, A&K and Manfredi.

Guest 4-2-N-8
5 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Love the pictures of this spectacular Suite (Villa).

Considering you mentioned the price point of this trip and another upcoming one, I think that they do (as they should) their utmost to please such high revenue guests. To make someone who drops that kind of money feel any of the cutbacks that regular folks in "steerage" experience would not only be outrageous but potentially lethal if word of that spreads within the circles of this well heeled clientele.

Would you consider booking something like the Ritz Carlton Yacht Collection as an alternative or is that too small for you?

I like the Ritz ship,, but likely too small (seasick prone S.O.).

However, we did stay at the Ritz Fort Lauderdale prior to cruise. No seasickness reported from that stay. 😄

19 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

They are back, soon, very soon.

bon voyage

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

I like the Ritz ship,, but likely too small (seasick prone S.O.).

However, we did stay at the Ritz Fort Lauderdale prior to cruise. No seasickness reported from that stay. 😄

Maybe no seasickness, but I got a horrible food poisoning at that particular hotel, the only one after 20+ years of visiting and eating at some real dumpsters throughout the world. That's an accomplishment in and for itself. Be well! 😄

On 1/31/2023 at 6:03 AM, The_Big_M said:

Not sure Celebrity's demise can be assessed by the best cabin on the ship, combined with copious spending, which probably represents about 1% of onboard revenue, and <1% of shipboard experience.

LOL -  well it isn't actually the best Suite on the ship.   The Iconic Suite is a rather huge step up.   2,581 Sq Feet with 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths.  Since there is only one on an E class it's probably <.1$ of shipboard experience. 

One is currently available on our Apex TA for $52,491.74   Ouch...

Edited by Jim_Iain

On 2/1/2023 at 2:01 PM, Fly and Sail said:

We were on the QM2 for 19 days in Dec 22.   There was a lovely mix of ages on board although I didn’t see more than 6 mobility scooters.   Celebrity was more of a geriatric ward on our last crossing.    I imagine the world cruise might have on older demographic but it certainly isn’t the case on transatlantic crossings or cruises less than 21 days.   

Guest 4-2-N-8

This seven nighter has me wanting a longer itinerary, which is what I'd hoped for (but was uncertain would come through, so I limited to this short itinerary).

I concede that, perhaps for others, the general ship shape may be on a downward spiral. If you've experienced the degradation, I won't argue your point. I've just not seen it.

Staff has been prompt at every turn for me, Retreat or not.

I'll also be a contrarian when it comes to Le Petite Chef on this ship - great food last night (elected main menu and alternative menu) between my SO and myself.

Ok, ok, the le Grand Bistro cartoon is funky, but the food (for our time, early, of dining) was absolutely delicious. S.O. loved the "cartoon" accompanim. ent. I just savored the meal and solid drink choices from World Class Bar.

2 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Staff has been prompt at every turn for me, Retreat or not.

You hsve extolled the staff's attentiveness several times. I think this is pretty true even with the cuts/charges in lower tiers. At least I haven't read many comments suggesting the staff's work has gone downhill as has food quality in MDR and OVC. There have been comments that staffing may have cut and some staff seem to be overworked. If that continues, it may bode ill for performance. 

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8

On anything less.

I can't compare my experience to non-Retreat experience, but so many others have done so on this site that you have ample other threads to make that case for you.

IMO, Celebrity (Retreat) is money wisely spent.

The Retreat experience in an EV, from key staff to service to amenities to dining to spa, has been as I'd hoped; namely, justification for another trip - so it shall be, same ship and stateroom, in August.

Everything requested, delivered. To be fair, did not spend much time outside Retreat, except for shore excursions, Cafe al Bacio, two shows, and going each night to different specialty dining venues. We have our own rankings for how we'll be booking dining on forthcoming itinerary. 

Nearly always welcomed by name anywhere we went right when we walked up. No doubt biometrics at least in part at play, but still.

Could debate pluses and minuses between various lines/ship classes/itineraries, but this has turned out to be totally our vibe.

Didn't speak to anyone but our butler to handle any and every item or request. No need. He made certain we had all we wanted, requested, or needed. Rapidly. Worth it just for this level of service.

Celebrity (Retreat), damn you're good! We like you.

Side note: ran into some well known cruise vloggers on this ship.

Peace and love and all that jazz. 

Edited by 4-2-N-8

On 2/1/2023 at 11:04 AM, LouChamp said:

Sounds like you’re a hit at parties  🙄

• Haha 2

On 2/3/2023 at 2:28 AM, Jim_Iain said:

LOL -  well it isn't actually the best Suite on the ship.   The Iconic Suite is a rather huge step up.   2,581 Sq Feet with 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths.  Since there is only one on an E class it's probably <.1$ of shipboard experience. 

One is currently available on our Apex TA for $52,491.74   Ouch...

Still cheaper than the Iconic Suite on Norwegian Fjords late July at $55,000 (the only cabin left to book on the entire ship).