Murano or Luminae first night?

DisneyJen

Greetings fellow cruisers!

@DJ's DHand I are sailing on the May 13 Equinox cruise in a Sky Suite.

My birthday is that day and @DJ's DH is two days later. I have lots of fun stuff planned for his birthday (Cabana and specialty dining). I am the planner so he told me to pick what I would like for dinner for my birthday🙃

What would you choose and why?

TIA!

My opinion is Luminae.  We always eat in Luminae on the first night as we feel it sets the tone for the cruise.  If staff know you're celebrating your birthday they will make it special and it will be a great way to kick off the week.  While I also love Murano and I'm sure it would be great, it will be a one and done (unless you are returning for your husband's birthday) with the staff.  I'm sure others may disagree, but my vote is Luminae.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

My opinion is Luminae.  We always eat in Luminae on the first night as we feel it sets the tone for the cruise.  If staff know you're celebrating your birthday they will make it special and it will be a great way to kick off the week.  While I also love Murano and I'm sure it would be great, it will be a one and done (unless you are returning for your husband's birthday) with the staff.  I'm sure others may disagree, but my vote is Luminae.

We also like eating in Luminae the first night even when we are in higher end suites that includes free specialty restaurants.

• Like 4

Just now, OtherFigment said:

To throw out something different, my DH loves Tuscan for the first night. Watching the wake and the sunset after sailaway really is gorgeous. We love murano and luminae as well, but sunset during dinner is special.

Thanks for sharing @OtherFigment👍

The last two times we have eaten at Tuscan we've been underwhelmed with the food and service. @DJ's DHloves Veal Marsala but both times he had tried to order it the wait staff has waived him off saying that it would not meet his expectations.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DisneyJen said:

@George C Our first suite on Celebrity was last June on the Summit in a RS. We realize the level of service in a SS will be different than a RS.

Leaning toward cancelling Murano for the first night.

We will be in a royal suite next month on summit 😁, for a music charter we do this every month.  Agree much better perks and treated a little better. When we did penthouse on edge right after Covid we were treated like royalty .

13 minutes ago, OtherFigment said:

To throw out something different, my DH loves Tuscan for the first night. Watching the wake and the sunset after sailaway really is gorgeous. We love murano and luminae as well, but sunset during dinner is special.

I agree just love Tuscan a totally amazing view on S class , I also prefer the food there.

• Like 2

Well phooey. I can see that though. It's definitely been hit or miss for us food-wise, but decent enough that the view makes up for it. No matter what, it'll be a great birthday cruise! Dh and I have the same birthday, so we try to do a joint trip for our birthdays too!

• Like 1

On Solstice in October, we found service and food quality in Murano to be much better than Luminae. To the point that we ate in or from Murano 8 of 14 nights in the B2B. I'd probably skip it but am negatively biased from that experience. You can certainly visit Luminae for embarkation lunch to meet everyone. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We do Murano 1st night.  No matter what your assigned dining room is the 1st night is always a little hectic.  
Murano, and the other specialties have a much calmer atmosphere particularly on the 1st night.

Great point - that was a big factor in us going to Murano on the first day of the second leg of the B2B. Didn't need to see chaotic Luminae twice! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Luminae ~ If she is still on board, the female waitress from Mauritius is incredibly kind and sweet.  I wish I could remember her name.

Her name would not be Wida by any chance?  We had Wida on Reflection in December 2021 and she was wonderful as was her helper Bibek. 

8 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We do Luminae for lunch so we can introduce ourselves to the staff. We will then dine in Murano on night one because we feel it is the perfect way to kick off our cruise. 

This is our preference as well if sailing in the Retreat on a ship with Murano.

We just let the Maître d' know we will be in Murano that evening. 

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, DisneyJen said:

Greetings fellow cruisers!

@DJ's DHand I are sailing on the May 13 Equinox cruise in a Sky Suite.

My birthday is that day and @DJ's DH is two days later. I have lots of fun stuff planned for his birthday (Cabana and specialty dining). I am the planner so he told me to pick what I would like for dinner for my birthday🙃

What would you choose and why?

TIA!

Hi @DisneyJenfrom State College!  My son went to school there.

We just got off Equinox 3 days ago.  We were in a suite and pretty much only sail in suites these days.  So we usually go to Luminae for lunch when we board the ship.  And dinner the first night too.  Like others stated, we like the Luminae folks to know who we are and vice versa.  But this is just a preference.  You will dine there many times and there really is no consequence for missing the first night and going to Murano.  We had a hard time booking Murano pre-cruise, even through the shore-side Retreat Concierge.  But once on ship we went directly to Murano and they had a good number of openings with decent dining times available.  Same for Tuscan Grille.  We are E+ so we got the discount without reserving in advance. On Equinox, Luminae was a great experience- both food and service top notch.  I can honestly say that for us, the price of Murano ($140 extra) did not get us any better food or service than Luminae.  Same for TG.  But there is more variety of course.  And TG on Equinox has amazing views!  Best of luck!

• Like 2

Good morning all!

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

We are flying in the day before so we definitely won't miss lunch in Luminae the first day. It's a perfect way to start the cruise. Last year on the Summit the wonderful maitre'd, Yuksel, asked our table location and table preferences. I am guessing it will be the same on Equinox.

@TeeRickMy DH is a professor at and we are both alums of Penn State. I was able to pre-book both nights. Maybe we'll try TG.

• Like 1