Confused About A Specialty Dinner Reservation

Rick&Jeannie

It doesn't take much to confuse me! 😄 But...in past experience any time I have booked a specialty restaurant (in advance of a cruise) it always wanted payment.  For an upcoming cruise I had booked an MDR (non-specialty) for every night of the cruise...intending to go back and change 3 nights to specialty after conferring with our travel companions.  I got the go-ahead from them and I just went in and (supposedly) changed 3 nights to "specialty".  This was done on a desktop PC via the "web version" accessing DMW.  If I go back in and look...they appear to have successfully been changed.

As I was changing the first 2 nights it flashed a dollar amount up on the screen and then disappeared within a second or two.  The 3rd night it did not do this.  I *do* have some OBC...but not nearly enough to cover 3 nights' specialty dining for 4 people.  When I go into Payments in Cruise Personalizer...it shows I am fully paid.

Have they changed having to fully pay ahead of time?  I did not have any SD in my fare package.  I'm scratching my head here...somewhat afraid that it is going to throw out my reservations if not paid.

Anybody seen this?

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It doesn't take much to confuse me! 😄 But...in past experience any time I have booked a specialty restaurant (in advance of a cruise) it always wanted payment.  For an upcoming cruise I had booked an MDR (non-specialty) for every night of the cruise...intending to go back and change 3 nights to specialty after conferring with our travel companions.  I got the go-ahead from them and I just went in and (supposedly) changed 3 nights to "specialty".  This was done on a desktop PC via the "web version" accessing DMW.  If I go back in and look...they appear to have successfully been changed.

As I was changing the first 2 nights it flashed a dollar amount up on the screen and then disappeared within a second or two.  The 3rd night it did not do this.  I *do* have some OBC...but not nearly enough to cover 3 nights' specialty dining for 4 people.  When I go into Payments in Cruise Personalizer...it shows I am fully paid.

Have they changed having to fully pay ahead of time?  I did not have any SD in my fare package.  I'm scratching my head here...somewhat afraid that it is going to throw out my reservations if not paid.

Anybody seen this?

As you went through the SD res steps, did you see a total cost of $35/$39 per person?  Did it not indicate charging to your CC on file?  That's what I would expect.  Have you checked your credit card transactions?

I don't believe that DMW reservations show up in CP Payments page.  

If you are not sure, go ahead an mock book another night, but don't do the final commit step that books and charges you.

58 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

As you went through the SD res steps, did you see a total cost of $35/$39 per person?  Did it not indicate charging to your CC on file?  That's what I would expect.  Have you checked your credit card transactions?

I don't believe that DMW reservations show up in CP Payments page.  

If you are not sure, go ahead an mock book another night, but don't do the final commit step that books and charges you.

DOH!! Mystery solved.  Yes, it went straight to my credit card, apparently without stating that it was doing so.  Not a big deal...I was expecting to have to pay for it like that but since there was no indication of it I was questioning it went through!  I should have thought to check my credit card online.  

As usual... @Steelers36 has pulled a rabbit out of the hat!  Thanks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Anybody seen this?

Funny part…I just tried to book my free one…nope…it wanted to charge my card!

😩

4 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

😩

I believe a free specialty dining is more or less scheduled by Princess, at their convenience.  If you want a specific reservation,  you'll have to do that when you are onboard and see the maitre d' to make sure it's not processed like a regular reservation (charged to your account).

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I believe a free specialty dining is more or less scheduled by Princess, at their convenience.  If you want a specific reservation,  you'll have to do that when you are onboard and see the maitre d' to make sure it's not processed like a regular reservation (charged to your account).

I know.  My response was to the OP, who thought he got a free SD.  I was joking with him.

😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

😩

Sorry, this post if off the topic.  I noticed your post showed only "part" of the post that you are replying to, then I saw "expand", and when I clicked on "expand", I saw the entire post that you replied to.  Can you kindly show me how to do that?  A lot of times when I responded to a certain post, I only want part of that long post to show, but I can't figure out how to do it your way.   TIA. 

27 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Sorry, this post if off the topic.  I noticed your post showed only "part" of the post that you are replying to, then I saw "expand", and when I clicked on "expand", I saw the entire post that you replied to.  Can you kindly show me how to do that?  A lot of times when I responded to a certain post, I only want part of that long post to show, but I can't figure out how to do it your way.   TIA. 

It automatically does that if it’s a long reply.

Nothing that I do to make it happen, except give a winded reply!😃

It is longer when you do a new paragraph.  And/or space between sentences.

Look at your quote to me above. It is expanded too.  

Edited by PacnGoNow

5 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Thank you.  I didn't know it is automatic.

Yesterday I did a reply to a post on the thread "World Cruise 2023 -Occasionally...",  and it included the long post and all the pictures in that post.  So, I had to "cut" all the pictures and part of the post before I reply.  Then I noticed, a lot of other replies only had a small part of the post and no pictures but had the "expand". 

2 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Yesterday I did a reply to a post on the thread "World Cruise 2023 -Occasionally...",  and it included the long post and all the pictures in that post.  So, I had to "cut" all the pictures and part of the post before I reply.  Then I noticed, a lot of other replies only had a small part of the post and no pictures but had the "expand". 

This should be another thread…

but, you can quote just a section, like you did with me, or just quote the actual post or use the reply to this topic.  Just experiment with it.  

Sorry, OP, we got carried away… balloon 🎈 

14 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Okay, I just tried it again replying to the thread "World Cruise 2023...".  When I clicked on "quote", it showed the long post and all the pictures.  I replied.  Then I checked my replied post, and it doesn't show the long post and all the pictures, it only showed a small portion and the word "expand".  So, it only showed AFTER I replied.

Thank you. 

8 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

You click quote under their post.  That repeats their post. 

13 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

This should be another thread…

but, you can quote just a section, like you did with me, or just quote the actual post or use the reply to this topic.  Just experiment with it.  

Sorry, OP, we got carried away… balloon 🎈 

Scrambling the summer sky
99 red balloons go by
As 99 red balloons go by
99 dreams I have had
In every one, a red balloon
  • Like 2

Darn!

I thought I finally found someone else that had the same experience as me.

I booked specialty dining in the app for both us and travel companions (party of 4) and it did NOT charge me at all. This was two months ago and the charge never showed on my credit card. It is for Crown Grill and was at $29 at that time.

None of us have any dining credits (we booked under the most basic fare).

I constantly check my DMW reservations to make sure the SD is still there, and it is. The cruise is in just a couple of weeks on Royal so I am prepared to have them ask me for payment when we show up for our reservation. But I have never heard of this scenario happening to anyone else.

Edited by Blue_Flame

We book suites so get free first night specialty dining

For my last 4 cruises I had no problems booking this on the app with NO charge to my credit card

HOWEVER, for my up coming cruise in May the app either wants to charge me,OR shows it correctly at no charge but doesn't confirm the res!

Very annoying!!

Edited by riffatsea

On 2/6/2023 at 12:11 PM, chubbypiggy said:

While you are composing your response, the entire original post will show**. Once you make the post, only the first part of a longer post will show.

** If I only want the part I am responding to to show, I delete the rest of the message being quoted by deleting the text and photos I do not want included before clicking submit reply.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

* If I only want the part I am responding to to show, I delete the rest of the message being quoted by deleting the text and photos I do not want included before clicking submit reply.

Why not just use the press and hold “quote selection” then?

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Thanks 2