Tell me about Aurora

Scorpio41

6 minutes ago, Waju said:

We were last on her in 2020, has there been a refit since? 

Aurora is my absolute favourite cruise ship 🛳️ 

Our favourite too.
She was refitted in 2019. They took away my favourite place for breakfast (eggs Benedict) and lunches of delicious fresh soups. All free!  Now it’s the pay for glass house.

Can't recall when she had refits but there are a couple of potential changes. The Horizon buffet is better, with many more tables for two.  Raffles bar has been given more tables and chairs but more cafe-style than bar-style as it has become more like a Costa Coffee...

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Absolutely my favourite too. I just feel like I’m home when sailing on her.

Returning to cruising on her in a few months time.

I know what you mean. We first sailed on her in 2006. Getting back onboard is like pulling on a comfortable cardigan. 

I will miss the cafe that is now the glasshouse. I loved the breakfast (Eggs Benedict) and freshly made soups at lunch time.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Scorpio41 said:

I know what you mean. We first sailed on her in 2006. Getting back onboard is like pulling on a comfortable cardigan. 

I will miss the cafe that is now the glasshouse. I loved the breakfast (Eggs Benedict) and freshly made soups at lunch time.

The comfortable cardigan is a good analogy.

The MDR does a pretty decent breakfast eggs Benedict, if it's any consolation. And it's now available there every day, when pre-Covid it was a "special" only on once a week.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Scorpio41 said:

We too loved café Bordeaux and were hugely disappointed when it was replaced with the Glasshouse.

However most of the other changes that were made at the same time of the refit  that removed it were pretty much welcomed.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ardennais said:

We also love Aurora, and had a great cruise with the children when it was still a family ship. I like family friendly ships, nicer atmosphere. 

I remember one time when the children from the kids club were dressed as pirates on a treasure hunt round the ship. There were never many on board at one time and as you say it had a lovely atmosphere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AchileLauro said:

We too loved café Bordeaux and were hugely disappointed when it was replaced with the Glasshouse.

However most of the other changes that were made at the same time of the refit  that removed it were pretty much welcomed.

Thank you for that.

‘Cafe Bordeaux’ I’ve been racking my brain but it just wasn’t there. 😂

We were on Aurora just before and just after the last major refit, so were playing spot the difference! Apart from the removal of the kids clubs and replacement with more cabins, the main changes were carpets and chairs. Oh, and they changed the TV’s in the cabins from tiny rubbish ones to larger, but still rubbish, ones! Our best cruises have been on Aurora. Far more interesting itineraries than the bigger ships, but the price premium is increasingly difficult to justify IMHO, especially as she is now very dated. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Scorpio41 said:

Glass house when embarking. Open and what are the charges?

Does any have a menu they could share here?

Prior to Covid, the Glasshouse was always open for lunch when embarking, although it was a hidden secret as nobody was aware of the fact other than the staff working there. If you asked the staff when boarding they would say only the buffet was open, which wasn’t true. However, this was before Covid. Given all the cutbacks and staff shortages I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it’s no longer open for lunch on embarkation day, so maybe someone else can confirm? Menus should be on the P&O website. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 4:51 PM, Scorpio41 said:

Glass house when embarking. Open and what are the charges?

Does any have a menu they could share here?

When I was on Aurora in Nov/Dec, the Glass House was only open for drinks and cheese, presumably because of a shortage of cooks, though the other speciality restaurants were operating as normal. I also have an idea that it didn't open till 3pm, but I may have imagined that. Of course it could all have changed by now.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 5:13 PM, Selbourne said:

Prior to Covid, the Glasshouse was always open for lunch when embarking, although it was a hidden secret as nobody was aware of the fact other than the staff working there. If you asked the staff when boarding they would say only the buffet was open, which wasn’t true. However, this was before Covid. Given all the cutbacks and staff shortages I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it’s no longer open for lunch on embarkation day, so maybe someone else can confirm? Menus should be on the P&O website. 

I was surprised to find the Glasshouse on Iona was only open for food from 3 pm on embarkation day. Other days varied from 11am to 3pm but that might just be errors in Horizon. I don't think they proof read it properly.

• Like 1