John Heald discusses new Carnival policy on gifts to crew from passengers

Honolulu Blue

2 hours ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

So while gifts don't advance them in their job or provide more money, that personal thought is still appreciated by many workers.  

Can you think of any time a crew member might express anything other than appreciation to the gift giver?    I'm sure we have all received stuff we didn't want, considered junk, etc.  Of course, we say thanks no matter (and then re-gift it ASAP 😄).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Retired teacher here -I used to shudder every Christmas and June when I would easily get 20 “Best / Favourite Teacher” Coffee mugs and smile and say thank you plus write a thank you card for parents. Multiply that by 30 plus years and we are talking well in excess of 1000 mugs donated to Goodwill.

While all gifts were of course appreciated, some (gift cards to book store, liquor store, coffee) were always appreciated more. Honestly, my favourite gift was a box of thirty pairs of socks because I was known for my patterned socks - one pair from each student - and I still remember each one of their names. Obviously - like a doctor this was something on a more personal level with people that you have some sort of relationship with it.  That being said gifts were never expected or solicited. 

I find it insulting that John Heald is encouraging gifts of hats and trinkets - it must be painful for those poor employees who are more than likely professionally educated and doing this job because it pays more than being a professional back home - to smile and say thank you for that 3 for $1 trinket and gush and say how grateful they are.

I apologize for going slightly OT here, but I can't resist the chance to pose this to a teacher that isn't one of my kids':  I was aware of this tchotchke / dust-collector teacher gift issue already (my mother was a school nurse for over 20 years), so I have always encouraged my DDs to give their teachers consumable gifts with the teachers' particular tastes in mind (a set of fancy teas for a tea lover, a gift card to our favourite sushi restaurant for a sushi lover, etc.).  Sam's Club gift packages of cookies, etc. for those of whom we did not know the tastes.  I figure, everyone eats.☺️  Is this the right way to go?  Or have I unwittingly been one of the ignorant offenders of giving unwanted gifts?😳

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

I find it insulting that John Heald is encouraging gifts of hats and trinkets - it must be painful for those poor employees who are more than likely professionally educated and doing this job because it pays more than being a professional back home - to smile and say thank you for that 3 for $1 trinket and gush and say how grateful they are.

Heald is just a mouthpiece for those he calls "the beards".  They are so out of touch with the crew in general, that this is what they believe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

Retired teacher here -I used to shudder every Christmas and June when I would easily get 20 “Best / Favourite Teacher” Coffee mugs and smile and say thank you plus write a thank you card for parents. Multiply that by 30 plus years and we are talking well in excess of 1000 mugs donated to Goodwill.

While all gifts were of course appreciated, some (gift cards to book store, liquor store, coffee) were always appreciated more. Honestly, my favourite gift was a box of thirty pairs of socks because I was known for my patterned socks - one pair from each student - and I still remember each one of their names. Obviously - like a doctor this was something on a more personal level with people that you have some sort of relationship with it.  That being said gifts were never expected or solicited. 

There are that many people (like minded on other social media sites) that "gift" crap to crew that anything other than saying the crew "appreciates" it would result in an avalanche of letters to the beards.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

I apologize for going slightly OT here, but I can't resist the chance to pose this to a teacher that isn't one of my kids':  I was aware of this tchotchke / dust-collector teacher gift issue already (my mother was a school nurse for over 20 years), so I have always encouraged my DDs to give their teachers consumable gifts with the teachers' particular tastes in mind (a set of fancy teas for a tea lover, a gift card to our favourite sushi restaurant for a sushi lover, etc.).  Sam's Club gift packages of cookies, etc. for those of whom we did not know the tastes.  I figure, everyone eats.☺️  Is this the right way to go?  Or have I unwittingly been one of the ignorant offenders of giving unwanted gifts?😳

No that is totally - 100% the way to go! You get it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I concur and if you have them homemade baked goods or hand me downs, I’m afraid they’d end up in the trash.

If you think you’re being thoughtful by giving them something they would send to their families back home, don’t forget they would need to spend money shipping this stuff to wherever.

Cash is king for these folks

Cash is king along with the positive write-ups that can help them get promotions.

• Like 4

On 2/9/2023 at 3:36 PM, Elaine5715 said:

The crew are well trained to accept offered items with graciousness.  

This comment goes to the heart of the matter. Now the crew will be able to politely refuse any and all non-commercially prepared and sealed consumable items due to company regulations. The crew must be happy to have a good excuse for turning down fruitcake, etc. 🙂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2023 at 4:58 PM, ldubs said:

Can you think of any time a crew member might express anything other than appreciation to the gift giver?    I'm sure we have all received stuff we didn't want, considered junk, etc.  Of course, we say thanks no matter (and then re-gift it ASAP 😄).

I can appreciate your opinion here, and I imagine there are lots of "gifts" at which  crew members might roll their eyes (inside their heads) while appearing very grateful.

I do not claim any special insider knowledge on this matter, but I occasionally read blogs and watch videos put out by current and former crew members.  I have never seen a statement that they do not like gifts, and I have seen comments on how much they appreciate candy and small items that might have to do with the passenger's home town or state.  Baseball hats and souvenir magnets stick out in my memory.  Some employees collect specific things (one bar tender likes the magnets), and might trade amongst themselves.  Also, they are apparently a big hit to family and friends back home.

So if I were a gift-giver (which I am not and I don't), I would feel okay with handing out "approved" items as long as they aren't big or bulky, and aren't some cheap gumball machine trinket.  Also, I should prepare myself not to take it personally if I find out my "special" gift were bartered or given away.

And to reiterate from my original post (#70), gifts should be fourth on my list of ways to truly show appreciation for a job well done.  In my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

I can appreciate your opinion here, and I imagine there are lots of "gifts" at which  crew members might roll their eyes (inside their heads) while appearing very grateful.

I do not claim any special insider knowledge on this matter, but I occasionally read blogs and watch videos put out by current and former crew members.  I have never seen a statement that they do not like gifts, and I have seen comments on how much they appreciate candy and small items that might have to do with the passenger's home town or state.  Baseball hats and souvenir magnets stick out in my memory.  Some employees collect specific things (one bar tender likes the magnets), and might trade amongst themselves.  Also, they are apparently a big hit to family and friends back home.

So if I were a gift-giver (which I am not and I don't), I would feel okay with handing out "approved" items as long as they aren't big or bulky, and aren't some cheap gumball machine trinket.  Also, I should prepare myself not to take it personally if I find out my "special" gift were bartered or given away.

And to reiterate from my original post (#70), gifts should be fourth on my list of ways to truly show appreciation for a job well done.  In my opinion.

You will never see a credited statement by a crew member about disliking trinkets.  If you ever watch the posted videos by crew members showing their personal quarters, you will not see guest gifts.  It is also not usual for service industry to profess a fondness for an item to please a guest.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2023 at 7:04 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Someone could, in theory, have brought on a package of Oreos (for example), eaten half of them, and then offered the other half to their favorite cabin steward/bartender/other crew member.  This would have been an acceptable gift before; now, they would have to decline it.

Or it was the all ready open bag of Oreos and they we’re giving the rest of the bag or something. 

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

You will never see a credited statement by a crew member about disliking trinkets.  If you ever watch the posted videos by crew members showing their personal quarters, you will not see guest gifts.  

Imagine an in-cabin video interview on crew-center.com of Carnival's only steward who prefers trinkets to cash. They'd have to have a cabin all to themselves to hold the junk. 

About Us – Think Green Fun

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Imagine an in-cabin video interview on crew-center.com of Carnival's only steward who prefers trinkets to cash. They'd have to have a cabin all to themselves to hold the junk. 

About Us – Think Green Fun

Perfect - give them some  of those duckies that seemingly sane adults feel are necessary to place all over a ship.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Perfect - give them some  of those duckies that seemingly sane adults feel are necessary to place all over a ship.

The ducks have now become absurd. My last cruise somebody threw one up onto the top of the atrium elevator. That's not hiding, that's littering.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

"I have never seen a statement that they do not like gifts"

And you likely never will.   That is the point.  Beyond that, what is the real point of giving some worthless trinket to service people?  Who is it really pleasing?   To me giving trinkets, or homemade things  presumes a lot and is seriously close to being the opposite of treating an adult providing a service with dignity.  

I was reading another forum where someone was suggesting it a good idea to leave personal care items as gifts to hotel housekeeping staff.  They went so far as to suggest if the "gift" wasn't liked,   the housekeeper could sell it for a few bucks to help out their family.  To me, that kind of thinking is completely out of touch with reality.   

I understand you are not suggesting cheapo trinkets.  But even so, I guess we just have different opinions on this one.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2023 at 9:26 AM, ColeThornton said:

I can't think of one single reason why I would go on vacation and bring a gift for one of the employees.  Don't do it on land, why would I do it on a cruise?  Seems odd to me.

Tip? Sure.   A gift?  Don't understand that.

This times a million.  I get that you might feel a personal connection with your steward and they are nice to you and fulfill your requests.  Reward their hard work with what they are working for....$.  The only time I can see giving them a gift is if you are a regular cruiser on the same ship, in the same room(s).  Like those who live near a port and cruise almost full time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, resetjet said:

In theory, yes, but how is someone on a ship supposed to convert that to cash?

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

In theory, yes, but how is someone on a ship supposed to convert that to cash?

When they get home or mail it home. They make great gifts for friends and family as well.  They dont discard these.  The silver ones are really cheap.  

Edited by resetjet

4 hours ago, resetjet said:

Unlike a couple 3 Musketeers bars, these bars are ACTUALLY like gold in their country😉  But seriously, just stick with CA$H, even if you use $2 bills!

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 9:03 AM, Saint Greg said:

I'm kind of surprised that wasn't already a policy. Are people bringing baked goods from home? Cookies from the pizza place? A leftover skittle?

Now I'm imagining someone taking a dainty little bite from a Skittle and saving the other half for a crew member.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Unlike a couple 3 Musketeers bars, these bars are ACTUALLY like gold in their country😉  But seriously, just stick with CA$H, even if you use $2 bills!

About three o'clock in the afternoon, I will take a 3 Musketeer bar over a gold bar anytime 

• Haha 2

Four pages so far...

Want to say thanks? Give your cabin steward $20 on day two without asking for anything else for he/she to do. If you still want to give candy tuck that $20 under a bag of M&M's.

We travel about half the time with 2-3 other couples and I email in advance asking for a table in a specific area. Most times it works. After dinner when the Maître d' is no longer busy we give both of them at the podium the same.
 While not a dime of this is needed, it's something we do. Cash then candy, in that order.

• Like 2