Lobster Warning

rmalbers

Why all this fuss about lobster?

It seems to be more about the ritual than the (usually rubbery) food.

I also confess to being a little miffed when some (head?) waiter I've never seen before comes silently behind me and, without asking, proceeds to dismember my lobster in front of me. 

What's that about?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bassethounddog said:

This is how it was presented to me after the waiter removed the meat from the shell. I have not touched it at all. 

This is not good, because one of the reasons to do that is to reuse the tail shell to plate the next lobster plate.  There is really no other reason to remove lobster meat from the tail especially one of the reason to have them on the shell is to make it look bigger.   Once removed from the shell, even bigger lobster tail meat will look small.

Edited by lostchild
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bassethounddog said:

This is how it was presented to me after the waiter removed the meat from the shell. I have not touched it at all. 

Next time order from the adult menu and not the kid's menu 🤣

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, lostchild said:

This is not good, because one of the reasons to do that is to reuse the tail shell to plate the next lobster plate.  There is really no other reason to remove lobster meat from the tail especially one of the reason to have them on the shell is to make it look bigger.   Once removed from the shell, even bigger lobster tail meat will look small.

Tails are NOT reused for another meal. They put it on the plate for proper presentation and them remove it for your convenience. It's still connected to the shell.

• Like 1

Thank you one and all for your comments.  Im still laughing😂.  It’s very obvious that this thread is divided between folks who look forward to “Lobster Night “ and don’t get lobster very often and the folks who can take it or leave it.  With the high prices for everything I'm amazed that they can even serve lobster tails no matter how small they are.  Those of us from New England and eastern Canada are not too excited by the lobster situation because we can have real lobster, live and kicking, anytime.  One steadfast rule is…ALWAYS serve the drawn butter on the side!  

• Like 2

With a title of "Lobster Warning" I thought I was going to open this post and read about lobsters attacking people en masse! Alas, it's just about lobster tail being served on a ship. 

Edited by njsmom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thank you one and all for your comments.  Im still laughing😂.  It’s very obvious that this thread is divided between folks who look forward to “Lobster Night “ and don’t get lobster very often and the folks who can take it or leave it.  With the high prices for everything I'm amazed that they can even serve lobster tails no matter how small they are.  Those of us from New England and eastern Canada are not too excited by the lobster situation because we can have real lobster, live and kicking, anytime.  One steadfast rule is…ALWAYS serve the drawn butter on the side!  

Agree, CGTNORMANDIE,  about the drawn butter.  I personally believe that nothing compares to Maine or eastern Canadian lobster, and those won't likely be served on a cruise ship.  🙂

1 hour ago, SusieAV8R said:

Agree, CGTNORMANDIE,  about the drawn butter.  I personally believe that nothing compares to Maine or eastern Canadian lobster, and those won't likely be served on a cruise ship.  🙂

Believe it or not…we were on a repo from Boston to Caribbean and RCI JOS had just completed a series of Canadian cruises and was loaded with lobster.  It was some of the best I have ever had!  

3 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Believe it or not…we were on a repo from Boston to Caribbean and RCI JOS had just completed a series of Canadian cruises and was loaded with lobster.  It was some of the best I have ever had!  

3 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Wow!!  You were in the right place at the right time!!  (Am soooo envious 🙂. )

13 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

With airplanes real 🦞 is available almost anywhere today.  Spent last September in New Brunswick and DW had lobster 4 times.  Once was enough for me.   Agree with the drawn butter requirement.

Monkfish if soaked in drawn butter is pretty good. 

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, righteous man said:

I've read that monk fish is a decent alternative to lobster ... not that monk fish will be available.

Monk fish makes a great addition to a Lobster Newberg.  When mixed with real lobster it’s a great way to stretch a Newberg.  

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

With airplanes real 🦞 is available almost anywhere today.  Spent last September in New Brunswick and DW had lobster 4 times.  Once was enough for me.   Agree with the drawn butter requirement.

Monkfish if soaked in drawn butter is pretty good. 

I could buy a whole live lobster for $9.99-$10.99 lb at my local market…fresh from the tank.  The good news is that March is coming and the hard shell lobsters should be coming in.  The hard shell lobsters come from deeper waters and the lobsters are bigger and the meat is more compacted and flavorful.  More good news…the price should dip down to about $8.00 lb

A nice 2 1/2 lb lobster baked stuffed with crab meat stuffing…out of this world.

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I could buy a whole live lobster for $9.99-$10.99 lb at my local market…fresh from the tank.  The good news is that March is coming and the hard shell lobsters should be coming in.  The hard shell lobsters come from deeper waters and the lobsters are bigger and the meat is more compacted and flavorful.  More good news…the price should dip down to about $8.00 lb

A nice 2 1/2 lb lobster baked stuffed with crab meat stuffing…out of this world.

but then you have to clean it, cook it, and clean up after it.

• Like 1