Playing loud music

antsp

3 hours ago, roadster08 said:

Would hanging wind chimes on the balcony be acceptable? 

Asking for a friend. 

NO....believe it or not most people do not likely want to hear anything from their neighbors/fellow passengers...loud tv, music on the balcony, loud talking, speakers by the pool, talking on their phones, or "wind chimes"...

And many people do not want to have any confrontations with any other guests by asking them to turn that crap off.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Neighbors from hell are also a worry for us  as well, though we've been lucky over the years.  How did GS deal with your neighbors?  Was the problem solved to your satisfaction?

We were very fortunate in that GS somehow handled it. It may have been via a phone call. At least the neighbors complied. I was not sure what to expect. The neighbor's slider was also open and loud music was blaring. 

Edited by nini
Punctuation

9 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Boise?? Like in Idaho??

Now that’s positively HILARIOUS!
Another  audio “expert” heard from. 

Having worked with electronics including sound systems for over 50 years I think I know a little something about the subject.  And your esperience?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Because many folks are not about me, me, me, but simply polite.  It would likely bother me (if were on a nearby balcony) but because we are polite (certainly too polite to use a speaker on a cruise ship) we would likely just quietly suffer or go inside.  The mistake you make is to assume that just because folks do not say anything, all is OK.  

Hank

And is the same true for conversations?  Are people not permitted to speak in your presence?  If music is played on a balcony at a conversational level or lower, how is the music the culprit, but the conversation is not? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Of course playing music from a speaker on the Lido Deck is both silly and inconsiderate.  But there is a certain irony to all of this given what is played at high decibels on MUTS. 

"Hey!  Turn of that speaker!  How dare you play the Commodores at that volume when I am trying to watch this Lionel Ritchie Concert Video on MUTS for the 23rd time!"  

One can escape MUTS in their cabin or on their balcony (unless they voluntarily book a cabin within sound range of MUTS.  Although we are long time Princess cruisers (have been Elite for a very long time) we are not fans of MUTs.  Fortunately, there are still outdoor spaces on the ships outside the normal sound range of MUTs.  

Some may not know the history of MUTS, but is called "Movies Under the Stars" because that was the original function.  During the day they used to play some silent movies (many might remember the skydiving dog) except on some days if there was a major live sporting event.  For a very short time, Princess than experimented with providing everyone with ear phones connected to a small wireless receiver.  They could than have movies during the daytime, but only those who wore their headphones could hear the sound.  That idea did not last very long and eventually somebody at Princess thought it was fine to blast sound out of MUTS...day and night.  We are convinced that the decision was made by somebody who either never cruises or who is completely deaf! 

The irony is that Princess has actually found they can make money by charging money for those that want true quiet (the Sanctuary).   

Hank

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Having worked with electronics including sound systems for over 50 years I think I know a little something about the subject.  And your esperience?

Wasn’t addressing my comment to you but commenting on your comment. In other words, we are in sync. 

But to answer your experience question, before retiring I was one of the managing principals of the sound, video and acoustics design firm that has been responsible for systems design in all but 3 of the current NFL stadia and most of the MLB parks and most of the NBA/NHL arenas. 
Boise (sic) tried to compete in that marketplace for a few years but finally gave up and bailed. 
Nevertheless, they manufacture a decent home audio product. 

17 hours ago, roadster08 said:

Would hanging wind chimes on the balcony be acceptable? 

Asking for a friend. 

Our Home Owners rules forbid Wind Chimes - I take that to mean many people find them annoying after a while.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Our Home Owners rules forbid Wind Chimes - I take that to mean many people find them annoying after a while.

I would like to meet the person who likes to hear them endlessly hour after hour. 🤪

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Because many folks are not about me, me, me, but simply polite.  It would likely bother me (if were on a nearby balcony) but because we are polite (certainly too polite to use a speaker on a cruise ship) we would likely just quietly suffer or go inside.  The mistake you make is to assume that just because folks do not say anything, all is OK.  

Hank

To be fair, JVW did say they make sure no one else is on their neighboring balconies... and I don't think it is always impolite to use a speaker on a cruise ship, as long as you make sure the volume is low enough that others can't hear.  The TV in your cabin has speakers, if you keep it at that same level there shouldn't be a problem.  Common sense is usually better than a blanket ban.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

To be fair, JVW did say they make sure no one else is on their neighboring balconies... and I don't think it is always impolite to use a speaker on a cruise ship, as long as you make sure the volume is low enough that others can't hear.  The TV in your cabin has speakers, if you keep it at that same level there shouldn't be a problem.  Common sense is usually better than a blanket ban.

Except the cabin TV is confined to one location. Speakers can be used outside. What some people consider a polite volume is only their opinion. So unfortunately there has to be a rule.... and I dislike more rules. 

• Like 1

Just now, vjmatty said:

Here’s another opinion.  

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG……

If one’s cabin balcony door is open and theTV is on and operating, the sound can be heard by others on adjacent balconies. 

ANYTIME amplified content of any sort is sent to a loudspeaker located on a balcony, it will be heard by others who have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in that person’s choice of entertainment. 

Earbuds or headphones are the only proper way to listen to one’s “tunes” while on their balcony. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

Except the cabin TV is confined to one location. Speakers can be used outside. What some people consider a polite volume is only their opinion. So unfortunately there has to be a rule.... and I dislike more rules. 

LOL to me a polite volume is one that can't be heard beyond your balcony.... no one could argue with that.  Like the tree falling in the woods with no one there to hear 😉

2 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Wasn’t addressing my comment to you but commenting on your comment. In other words, we are in sync. 

But to answer your experience question, before retiring I was one of the managing principals of the sound, video and acoustics design firm that has been responsible for systems design in all but 3 of the current NFL stadia and most of the MLB parks and most of the NBA/NHL arenas. 
Boise (sic) tried to compete in that marketplace for a few years but finally gave up and bailed. 
Nevertheless, they manufacture a decent home audio product. 

Yes you were as I own a Bose system. Before I retired from 2 different jobs I supervised and operated sounds systems through put military arenas that included many events from dignitary visits and graduations to change of commands.  The second event involved many state events.  Bose systems were quite often used with great success. So saying anyone who uses one needs their hearing checked is an insult and ridiculous. 

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

LOL to me a polite volume is one that can't be heard beyond your balcony.... no one could argue with that.  Like the tree falling in the woods with no one there to hear 😉

I hope Mr McBeevee wasn't in that tree when it fell! 😎

• Like 1

We  were on Symphony of the Seas in September.  There was a party that had their speakers loud and twerking in the hot but.  GS took care of them fairly quickly. This was in the adult pool area. They started arguing with the pool attendant until the white shirts showed up. 

• Like 1

Just now, Potstech said:

Yes you were as I own a Bose system. Before I retired from 2 different jobs I supervised and operated sounds systems through put military arenas that included many events from dignitary visits and graduations to change of commands.  The second event involved many state events.  Bose systems were quite often used with great success. So saying anyone who uses one needs their hearing checked is an insult and ridiculous. 

NO I wasn’t!!

It was the post you were replying to that I was challenging. Anyone (the poster you were replying to) who cannot even correctly spell the name of the product they refer to is seriously ineligible to discuss the subject.

That said, I give up. I’m just not getting through to you. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Just now, cruisegal40 said:

We  were on Symphony of the Seas in September.  There was a party that had their speakers loud and twerking in the hot but.  GS took care of them fairly quickly. This was in the adult pool area. They started arguing with the pool attendant until the white shirts showed up. 

Cretins!!

• Like 1

We have people playing loud music in campgrounds when we are trying to relax in the quiet. Of course sometimes the music is competing with the loud generator they have going at the same time. We like the peace and quiet of the redwoods, pines, etc. and don't want to hear the noise.