Dancing

sundaypeople5

So, on gala nights, my husband and I LOVE the idea of getting all dressed up, having an elegant dinner and then attending the ball.  The problem is neither one of us know how to do ANY ballroom dancing.  How silly and out of place will we look if we go out onto the dance floor and do our best at mimicking what the other dancers are doing? We want to enjoy the romance of the evenings, but certainly don’t want to appear as shmucks.  Already booked in Queens Grill so this cruise IS happening.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sundaypeople5 said:

So, on gala nights, my husband and I LOVE the idea of getting all dressed up, having an elegant dinner and then attending the ball.  The problem is neither one of us know how to do ANY ballroom dancing.  How silly and out of place will we look if we go out onto the dance floor and do our best at mimicking what the other dancers are doing? We want to enjoy the romance of the evenings, but certainly don’t want to appear as shmucks.  Already booked in Queens Grill so this cruise IS happening.  

The ship will probably provide some dance classes. Getting in the way seems to be the major sin.

• Like 1

You can just shuffle around like they do in the movies. Nobody will notice or bother about you.

You didn't mention which ship you're on?

Is this a first time on Cunard, and first time QG?

Edited by BigMac1953
stupidity
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, sundaypeople5 said:

We are in the same "boat" ship with you with dance steps.

There are dance lessons that are given around noon time in the Queen Room thru the sailing. Not only Ballroom but other steps.

Everyone really does their own thing but par professional steppers are out there too. Don't let that interfere with you wonderful experience.

As a longtime Cunarder, you can also experience your steps at a casual Tea Dance at one of the Afternoon Tea's during the sailing.

• Like 2

We took a few ballroom lessons before our first Cunard Cruise and plucked up the courage to shuffle around on a basic waltz and quickstep!  It was worth taking a few lessons and did give us the courgae to get on to the floor. The Cunard Cruises we have been on have all had excellent ballroom and latin lessons which will teach you a few steps and are fun to attend.

Some of the very experienced dancers can be a bit intimidating to watch, but the Cunard ballrooms are excellent and it is well worth getting up and having a go. As exlondoner says, getting in the way seems to be the main thing to avoid, so just keep going in the direction everyone else is travelling!

• Like 1

We don’t know much, but we danced anyway. My husband has had his first total knee replacement and will do the second one in a few months, a schedule we decided on just so he’d be ready to dance on the QM2 when we sail home from the UK in December.

please don’t worry yourself about what other dancers think. Have FUN! We did and, as unskilled as we were last time, people approached us to say how much fun we were to watch. Whether they were laughing at us wasn’t our business.

• Like 2

If you have the time I would recommend that you take some basic lessons beforehand.

I searched "ballroom dance class north carolina" and got lots of results. Of course they might not be anywhere near you. You get group classes and private lessons. You usually pick things up slower in a group but you do get a feel for moving round a floor (anti-clockwise) with others around you.

With private lessons you do learn quicker with the individual attention but there may be a limit to what you can take in at one go and the higher price might not be justified.

Initially you just want to learn some basic steps to allow you to move round the floor. You're best to ignore everyone else. Good dancers will spot you and dance round you. You should not be expected to get out of their way.

Other than in sequence dancing where everyone should be doing the same thing copying others is not a good idea, they might be doing it wrong! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sundaypeople5 said:

Just move to the music as you hold each other. That is what most people do. Enjoy the cruise.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Just move to the music as you hold each other. That is what most people do. Enjoy the cruise.

For a short cruise, enjoy. No need for outside lessons IMHO.

On board lessons gives you the key moves to use.

The rest is what you have in "Your Hearts" to develop together. We have for 47 years!

HAPPY VALENTINES....

• Like 4

Oh, how romantic!  Yes, dancing together is a wonderful experience. Get out there no matter what, and just do your own thing! Do not worry about the exact steps, either.

I happen to be a very, very, good dancer--I have taken professional lessons in six different types of dance, some very complex (ballet, flamenco, belly dancing, etc.).  My husband sweetly went with me to a year of ballroom dancing lessons, and still never completely mastered the holds or the footwork of some of the most basic dances. Understanding the beat of the music is not necessarily his forte, either.

Remember, ballroom dancing consists of a number of diverse styles:  cha-cha, samba, rumba, paso doble, jive, waltz, tango, foxtrot, quick step, swing, etc.  All of these types of music will be played, and each dance has a set of specific steps, arm holds, turns, etc. The ship's lessons will just be basic introductions to some of these dances.

Many folks book Cunard just to ballroom dance. Yes, there are some dancers who want to "show off" their ballroom dancing skills, and float completely around the floor.  Don't be intimidated!  No one there is an expert ( I have watched the championships on television many times, and I know!), and most are at basic or above basic level. I think it is a "safe" practice zone, and no one will be judgmental. 

However, if you are completely uncomfortable, just head to the nightclub nearby.  Once you are on the dance floor the music takes over and any style is fine!  Have a fantastic time!

• Like 1

I think you'll love Cunard's Gala nights which are very special occasions. While the onboard dance lessons get you started with a few basics, you'll likely enjoy the ballroom more if you have a few more dance steps in your repertoire. My wife and I have fun at home learning from YouTube videos and we skip the ship's dance lessons. In any case, you'll fit in, as you'll see dancing at a wide range of skill levels.

• Like 2

Hear is another suggestion.  There are various "learn how to dance" videos on Youtube.  Why don't your husband and you moved some furniture around in your living room, patio, den, etc to make a suitable dance area and follow the videos. Just work on the basic steps and if you are committed to more advance steps. Make it fun!  Practice makes perfect. Then once you feel comfortable enough find a place in your area that offers live dancing so you can practice in public. Once you get onboard the ship as others have suggested take some dance classes. I bet in no time at all you'll be dancing like pros. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sundaypeople5 said:

If you like the idea of frocking-up and dancing then you would probably enjoy taking some dancing lessons before sailing. Dancing is addictive. It is brilliant exercise and very social. There's not a lot to be said against it and you'll at least know the 'road rules' when you're on a dance floor in future.

• Like 1

Yes taking a few lessons before the voyage would help establish a little more of the basics to give you some confidence in getting around the floor once you are on board.  The classes around midday in the Queen's Room are usually taught extremely well, but in an hour there is a limit to how much you can learn on any one dance - so if there are say four sea days (dance classes are only on sea days), then they can only do an hour on each of four dances, which will usually be waltz, cha cha, quickstep, and then possibly jive, or rumba - a longer cruise has more opportunities to learn more.  But even with a basic few figures learned it is enough, if you have confidence, to dance around the room repeating the figures you have learned during a 3 minute song.  We all feel self conscious at first, but if you are brave and give it a whirl, then enjoy being part of the wonderful world of ballroom dancing - and then you can continue the journey once you get back home if you join a local dance school if you have one within a reasonable travel distance from where you live.

• Like 1

It looks like dance hosts are being brought back on a more regular basis  ( I have friends who are dance hosts, and now have contracts for upcoming cruises ) but it takes time to get people back to agree dates aboard, especially if people already have commitments in the next few months. Some dance hosts are dance teachers and have to take time out from teaching at their main dance studios to go on a cruise, and that means loss of normal income since the dance hosts do not get paid for dancing with singles in the Queens Room.  It does look like hosts will become more regular on cruises as it goes through this year, but of course, if Covid rates rise on any particular voyage, then one of the changes that will happen quite quickly is that the dance host availability will likely be withdrawn during such a voyage, until rates go down again.  Of course for solos who dance, or those whose partner does not dance, it is a key part of the enjoyment of a cruise to have dance hosts available, and I expect Cunard will do their best to keep that tradition going for as much of the time as possible.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
changed sentence

18 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Dance hosts don't get paid?  Do they have to pay for the cruise or is it discounted?

They get the voyage with no cost - but they have to dance, not only in the Queens Room but also if there is any ballroom dancing in other alternate venues like the Yacht Club - and they can't choose who they dance with - they have to dance with anyone needing to dance so have to respond whatever their level at dancing.

The dance hosts are very different to the professional dance couple - the latter are paid as professional crew members.  Dance hosts generally only do one or two voyages per year, and are not paid a salary - whereas the professional dance couple have a contract usually for some months, covering however many voyages that take place on the ship continuously during their contract.

10 minutes ago, MelbTone said:

On my last pre-Covid cruise one of the dance hosts was assigned as co-host of the solo traveller meets.

I believe that was the norm pre-pandemic - perhaps it will return to the norm as the dance hosts are brought back regularly too. They do quite a lot to help solos and of course they have to be available all evening every evening so it is quite intense for them.