Hawaii to Add $50 PP Visitor Tax

mcrcruiser

1 hour ago, horseymike said:

What is the number 1 industry and employer in Hawaii ?

answer:
Tourism. 

Keep biting the hand that feeds you.

You are missing the point. The Covid era caused many in Hawaii to realize Hawaii would be better off with far less tourism than before Covid, when they set new records every year...over 10 million visitors in 2019. The infrastructure was not keeping up. The local attitude can be more towards reducing the numbers by making it more expensive to be there. 

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

You are missing the point. The Covid era caused many in Hawaii to realize Hawaii would be better off with far less tourism than before Covid, when they set new records every year...over 10 million visitors in 2019. The infrastructure was not keeping up. The local attitude can be more towards reducing the numbers by making it more expensive to be there. 

Tourism is and always has been, a double edge sword as it brings in revenue, more development, raises property value (good for owners, bad for renters) but also congestion.  During Covid, residents loved the reduced congestion while the local Governments hated the lack of revenue coming in.  Infrastructure can be solved by incoming revenue.  Regardless, as stated above, the title is click bait as its doubtful this fee will pass as is, will probably evolve to a new tax and/or increased tax

If a $50 tourist tax detours you from visiting, that is likely the goal. I can only speak with first hand experience of Maui and since the pandemic things here are becoming even more elite with an emphasis on attracting what is called  'quality tourists' (those largely unconcerned with cost). And even as accommodation prices are up 30-40%  (and taxes on accommodations approaching 20%), the island is fully booked. Supply and demand.

• Like 1

I just read the article. This tax appears to be for use of state parks/hiking trails. All beaches are public so no tax there (but expect to pay for parking at most). Something does need to be done to reduce the number of visitors at some of the most popular places. Maui already requires advance reservations to visit Wai'anapanapa State park for two hour time slots in order to visit this famous black sand beach on Road to Hana. Reservations open 2 weeks prior and can be hard to get. I do admit the park is much more enjoyable since the reservation system has been put in place so it's a fee I'm willing to pay (even though the limited time slots require advance planning).

image.png.7af96c75ed5cd1a668d71e5aea5ac113.png

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I just read the article. This tax appears to be for use of state parks/hiking trails. All beaches are public so no tax there (but expect to pay for parking at most). Something does need to be done to reduce the number of visitors at some of the most popular places. Maui already requires advance reservations to visit Wai'anapanapa State park for two hour time slots in order to visit this famous black sand beach on Road to Hana. Reservations open 2 weeks prior and can be hard to get. I do admit the park is much more enjoyable since the reservation system has been put in place so it's a fee I'm willing to pay (even though the limited time slots require advance planning).

image.png.7af96c75ed5cd1a668d71e5aea5ac113.png

They quietly updated the article...TPG has always been a bit clickbait-ish...Contributors see an article on yahoo, do minimal research and post with a click-bait title.  Even worse they often re-publish old articles such as cruising tipping amounts by cruise line which are outdated

40 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

They quietly updated the article...TPG has always been a bit clickbait-ish...Contributors see an article on yahoo, do minimal research and post with a click-bait title.  Even worse they often re-publish old articles such as cruising tipping amounts by cruise line which are outdated

"A bit clickbait-ish" is being kind. 

• Haha 2