Ask MSC’s Executive Chairman: Call for Questions for Pierfrancesco Vago

CCAubs

22 minutes ago, styles27 said:

You can add the 12/30/2022 10 day sailing to that list as well. 

I wonder does anyone high up at MSC read these boards?

Do any of the CEO’s care that the crew on Divina is stretched to the limit on these sailings because the ship cannot handle 3800 pax?

We have just booked 3 more cruises and not one is with MSC…after cruising with them 3 out of our last 4 times that should tell you something. 

Not liking the MSC USA product. 

We have a short MSC cruise booked for a "take our granddaughter on a cruise" trip in March. She loved the 4 day MSC cruise last year, but she was an eight-year-old on her first cruise. We loved the cruise only because she was so happy. Still, it was far better than the B2B MSC cruise in Jan 2023. We have no more MSC cruise bookings or plans to book after the one in March. We have two long cruises, a Celebrity TA and a Princess TP for 2023.

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Like 1

MSC, You have a unique product, currently, in the American market: the opportunity to experience a bit of the style of European cruising.  Please do not dilute it in an attempt to become another RoyalNorwegianCarnival line. There are already plenty of those.

There are many of us who appreciate the onboard European experience: the shows, the food, the style of more reserved service, as well as the international passenger makeup that allows us to feel that we are "away" rather than with hundreds of our hometown neighbors.  Unfortunately, all of your advertising seems to emphasize only the low prices, not the uniqueness of the product.  If you shift to showing what the onboard experience is like, you will attract the people who will appreciate it, rather than those who go only for the price and feel they were mis-informed because it wasn't royalnorwegiancarnival.

• Like 6

Please go back to the "Italian" style we know and love you for.    Bring back the limoncello pudding in MDR, put the gelato back into the drink package programme, and my own personal wish - bring back the Chocolate Ship!

It might be worth looking at the Voyagers Club and adding a level above diamond/black.   And keep this for people who have actually cruised with you.   

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Sort of...I doubt they will stop the overbooking. A lot of loyal MSC folks don't believe that the Jan 20 sailing on the Divina was fraught with so many problems. I just checked the latest 20 Divina reviews, and they were 2.2 out 5.0 with ten rating it a one.  The last day (3rd sea day in a row) was the absolute worst with so many people at a fever pitch in anger. A fight broke out between passengers over no available loungers, and a crew member was injured. We were approached by a really nasty woman who demanded we give up our two seats (both occupied!) because she thought our activity of playing cards should be done in the lounges. It was unreal. 

I'm glad not to have experienced anything like that.  Between the cruise lines' unpreparedness for returning passengers and what seems like a general decline in civility, patience and tolerance, more of this sort of behaviour may be in the offing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Suzieanna said:

Please go back to the "Italian" style we know and love you for.    Bring back the limoncello pudding in MDR, put the gelato back into the drink package programme, and my own personal wish - bring back the Chocolate Ship!

It might be worth looking at the Voyagers Club and adding a level above diamond/black.   And keep this for people who have actually cruised with you.   

Yep.

• Like 1

• LauraS pinned this topic

I have a question, when can those who were on the disastrous Seascape cruise on Jan 15-22 when there was an engine loss, expect to see the 50% refund on the paid cruise fare as listed in the Jan 19 letter from Captain Francesco Di Palma.

We missed Ocho Rios which was one of the reasons we booked this cruise. Seemed to be a little confusion among the crew as too what was going on.

I should start an over/under on how long it will take this refund to happen if it ever will.

• Like 1

I would like to have the customer's voices heard. I am always down to voice my opinion on my cruise, and I want MSC to succeed.

Will this cruise line actually do that? 

The website is the worst I have ever been on. Last year the shipping company made over 50B USD. Why can they not fix these issues? 

How is MSC competitive with the US Market? 

What is the company actually doing to improve their environmental record across the entire industry? 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 12:09 PM, sidari said:

On the status match issue, this is the reply I received today 16/2/23 from your UK office. It appears to contradict many posters on cruise critic.

Hi Dave, thank you for your message. We can see that there is a misunderstanding in the information above. We can guarantee that the process of Status Match does not grant new clients straight access to the Diamond Membership. Thank you

There does seem to be a problem with the UK status match process. I convinced a family member less tech savy to do the status match but was really surprised when they got Classic given the current website is all about "Status Match PLUS". They hanv't even been matched never mind been boosted. Full comments in the linked post.

This single experience wont put myself off sailing but it will put me off recommanding them to others as I simply can't guarantee a consistent level of service. More generally my question is: What are you doing to get a better consistency of service?

On 2/16/2023 at 4:55 PM, Suzieanna said:

Not just adding a tier, but also greater loyalty discounts for those who have genuinely earned their tier status with MSC (i.e. not via status match) will entice more of the regular YC guests to stay loyal particularly as YC prices have gradually gone up. 

• Like 1

I have been cruising with MSC for 12 years, starting with the Poesia twelve years ago.  The first month you began Status Matching, I was Status Matched to the Black Card.  Two years ago, I lost my Black Card Status, even though I took three cruises, since the date of Status Match.  I have even traveled once cruise more, than my significant other, yet MSC due to COVID renewed his Status, but still left me at basic level!  Please help me, I want my earned status back!  

MSC Divina 9/30/17  (Fantasia Balcony)

MSC Seaside 10/27/18 (Yacht Club)

MSC Armomia 4/11/19 (Suite)

3 hours ago, Raj.K said:

Not just adding a tier, but also greater loyalty discounts for those who have genuinely earned their tier status with MSC (i.e. not via status match) will entice more of the regular YC guests to stay loyal particularly as YC prices have gradually gone up. 

I started from zero and sailed my way to diamond/black. Asking MSC to differentiate between "earned" and "matched" is just asking for trouble.

There's also the category of those who matched but then sailed enough to earn the highest level, anyway. Where would you put those people?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I started from zero and sailed my way to diamond/black. Asking MSC to differentiate between "earned" and "matched" is just asking for trouble.

There's also the category of those who matched but then sailed enough to earn the highest level, anyway. Where would you put those people?

True.

I think the the Voyagers Club tiers should be enhanced to include privileges;

1. services/packages during the cruise. May even include using the points for upgrades or purchases of services; and

2. Special discounts such that the more loyal you are the greater the reward, or a tiered discounting as with some other cruise lines.

Thoughts?

I think the current Voyagers programme does not give much for those who sail YC. Those sailing on Bella, Fantastica or Aurea probably see greater value out of the current Diamond status. 

Remember when diamond members had 20% discounts? Even the 5% + 15% was better compared to now.

I would love the old discounts back, but with the present state of affairs I would be very surprised if we had any enhancements that cost them money (albeit only in lost revenue).   Remember when the mini bar was included as part of the top drinks package, remember when there was a bigger choice in the champagne bar.    I can see why these have gone - commercial cost saving decisions.  

That's why my suggestions would be things that make our life on board that bit sweeter - e.g. the bit of laundry, the chocolate ship, the visit round the kitchen and the bridge?     

I believe the status match to Diamond has stopped, but if points earned on top of Diamond were acknowledged that would be great.    Perhaps the level above diamond (a lot higher, maybe 20,000 could have a little embarkation area similar to Yacht Club) 

I met a person who had 30,000 points.    You get to the stage where anything above 10,000 becomes meaningless.   Hence, the requirement they have that you need to keep booking to keep your status.

I think my main wish is that they do not become another version of RC/Carnival etc.    

I love the multi-lingual, I love the pasta, I love the singers who sound like Margarita Prakatan.    

NOTE - I am a long way off 20,000.   So I am not asking for myself.   but I would like something to aspire to if that makes sense. 

• Like 2

I'm willing to accept the frustrations that come with taking cheap cruises on MSC but never recommend MSC to inexperienced cruisers since the odds are higher on MSC that the shore-side customer service will break your heart.  Inexperienced agents in the U.S. who don't have the ability to escalate to a supervisor who will speak with the guest provides unnecessary frustration.  Does senior management, Mr. Vago included, acknowledge the current poor shore-side service, and have an action plan to invest in correcting the glaring deficiencies relative to the USA competition?  If so, let's hear it!  I'd rather experience sparkling shore-side service than sparkling atrium stairs.

9 hours ago, Sstn said:

I'm willing to accept the frustrations that come with taking cheap cruises on MSC but never recommend MSC to inexperienced cruisers since the odds are higher on MSC that the shore-side customer service will break your heart.  Inexperienced agents in the U.S. who don't have the ability to escalate to a supervisor who will speak with the guest provides unnecessary frustration.  Does senior management, Mr. Vago included, acknowledge the current poor shore-side service, and have an action plan to invest in correcting the glaring deficiencies relative to the USA competition?  If so, let's hear it!  I'd rather experience sparkling shore-side service than sparkling atrium stairs.

An episode of "undercover boss" or "mystery shopper/customer" perhaps?

A focus group of Voyagers Club members?

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 8:17 PM, CCAubs said:

Do you have a question that you’d love to ask Mr. Vago? Are you wondering what’s ahead for onboard dining and entertainment? Have thoughts on how MSC can leverage technology to improve the cruise experience? Do you have questions about the cruise line’s sustainability efforts? We want to hear from you.

Share your questions below, and your question might be one asked of Mr. Vago at this year’s event.

Mr Vigo, do you have any plans to encourage loyal customers to stay loyal through the Voyagers programme?

By the end of this year I will have 2.600 voyager points. I would like to see rewards such as:

Unlimited laundry 

A bottle of champagne (rather than bottle of Prosecco)

Onboard credit

Free tickets to ‘paid for’ shows onboard

Excursion credit

I really appreciate MSC reaching out to their customers and staff and actually listening to! It’s refreshing to have a cruise company who can make decisions independently.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

Mr Vigo, do you have any plans to encourage loyal customers to stay loyal through the Voyagers programme?

By the end of this year I will have 2.600 voyager points. I would like to see rewards such as:

Unlimited laundry 

A bottle of champagne (rather than bottle of Prosecco)

Onboard credit

Free tickets to ‘paid for’ shows onboard

Excursion credit

I really appreciate MSC reaching out to their customers and staff and actually listening to! It’s refreshing to have a cruise company who can make decisions independently.

Sorry! I meant I have 26,000 points.

1 hour ago, ConnieTact said:

It was a typo! I meant 26,000 points! Thanks for letting me know!

Ok, now it makes sense and I agree. Your list would be nice after 25,000 points or so.

Maybe there could be some sort of Captain level or Admiral level above the current 10k level. That way, even people who matched would have a goal to strive for assuming that the benefits would be worth it.

• Like 2

Here's a comment I made on another thread.  I think it would be highly appropriate to make this suggestion to Mr. Vago...

"I think MSC makes a mistake when they cut people in line in front of others.  They did it with Yacht Club guests on one of my sailings (really long, slow line in Rotterdam) and I read where they did it with Yacht Club guests on a different sailing, and the other passengers got hostile and verbally abusive towards those Yacht Club passengers.  The same goes for embarkation and debarkation for Yacht Club and Diamond level members, and I'm Diamond FWIW.

In my view, MSC needs to have a specific priority line or separate pathway for those with Yacht Club or Diamond priority, rather than annoying others by cutting them ahead of those who were first and have been patiently awaiting their turn.  It irritates everyone and puts some of your best customers in a situation where they have to face insults, hostility or worse.  It's counterproductive and unnecessary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stockjock said:

In my view, MSC needs to have a specific priority line or separate pathway for those with Yacht Club or Diamond priority, rather than annoying others by cutting them ahead of those who were first and have been patiently awaiting their turn.

I wonder if the new Miami Terminal will have the separate lines and areas for those with priority.

I don't really care about others being annoyed. I just want better organization....I know, I know. MSC... organization... don't always go together.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I wonder if the new Miami Terminal will have the separate lines and areas for those with priority.

I don't really care about others being annoyed. I just want better organization....I know, I know. MSC... organization... don't always go together.

Respectfully, I do care about others being annoyed.  Some of the folks in Yacht Club are paying good money for a premium product.  They don't want or need to be harassed by other passengers.  It puts a damper on their vacation.  And by MSC cutting the line in front of others, that's precisely the position that MSC has put them into.  

I can tell you with certainly, I wouldn't want to be harassed or called names by other passengers simply because I paid extra for a premium product.  Actually, the reverse should be the case.  MSC should want their best customers to have an amazing experience, rather than being the recipient of harassment, threats and name calling.

I do believe that a different approach is in order.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Respectfully, I do care about others being annoyed.  Some of the folks in Yacht Club are paying good money for a premium product.  They don't want or need to be harassed by other passengers

I've never been harassed, insulted, etc. by other passengers while using the priority that I'm entitled to use. If it does happen, those complaining passengers will still complain when they "mistakenly" get on the priority line and are later sent away to go to the standard line.

Yes, MSC can do better but those problematic passengers will still be a problem when they see others getting more/something better than what the complainers are getting.