All your P&O dress code comments and queries.

jomf

32 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

And that’s the beauty of all the different cruise lines - you can check dress codes before booking and chose accordingly as to what best suits your pocket and your sense of style….😜 

Yes and then those that don't agree with dress code cruise elsewhere instead of booking and then moaning and whinging like some do.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

And that’s the beauty of all the different cruise lines - you can check dress codes before booking and chose accordingly as to what best suits your pocket and your sense of style….😜 

Exactly. Chose a cruise line that you would be comfortable on. There really is so much choice in the market.

Over the past few years the attitude of some has been to ignore the code in the hope to 'get away with it'. Reminds me of being at school and rolling my skirt waistband over to shorten my skirt, which often resulted in a detention. I began cruising in the 1990's when the Formal Night was the norm on all cruise lines I sailed. For the last 10 years I have sailed mainly on Celebrity. They have gradually moved to 'Evening Chic' which is basically a very dumbed down version just meaning no shorts or flip flops. So should suit most people. But even with their new dress code people complain and try to ignore it.

Surely a cruise line can write their own rules / code / guidelines and if choosing that cruise line you know what to expect. I love the Formal nights and that is the reason I am looking at P&O. Personally I would be disappointed if they changed. But each to their own, which is why the choice of different cruise lines offering different expectations is available. Something for everyone. 😀🍸

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, CliveJ said:

Sorry - is this a reply to my post ?

In which case...yes, I know what it says on the P&O site, and I know what a fair number of recent cruisers have said actually happened in their experience...but I have NO clue what I'm actually going to find arriving at the MDR on Iona at 6p.m. on Mar. 6th.

I’m absolutely no lover of formal dress on cruise ships, but there is a very simple answer. If P&O requires a particular dress code, take whatever clothes are necessary to meet the requirements. No fuss, no arguments, no doubt that way. If, like me, you don’t want to dress formally (and a dark suit is quite sufficient), avoid any cruise lines that require it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

Yes and then those that don't agree with dress code cruise elsewhere instead of booking and then moaning and whinging like some do.

Occasionally we skip formal nights. Our choice, but we wouldn't go along to MDR, or the Crows Nest out of respect  to those that adhere. We did one out of 4 on our last Britannia cruise, both on Azura a couple of weeks ago. Our posh clothes won't be invited to our next 2, but we will avoid formal venues. Plenty of others.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Occasionally we skip formal nights. Our choice, but we wouldn't go along to MDR, or the Crows Nest out of respect  to those that adhere. We did one out of 4 on our last Britannia cruise, both on Azura a couple of weeks ago. Our posh clothes won't be invited to our next 2, but we will avoid formal venues. Plenty of others.

That is fair enough and good manners as it's your choice and out of respect you will state that you go to areas where you don't have to adhere to dress code. What annoys me when people know it is a formal night and has a dress code but still think they can try and get into areas where they know they are inappropriately dressed.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, CliveJ said:

In which case...yes, I know what it says on the P&O site, and I know what a fair number of recent cruisers have said actually happened in their experience...but I have NO clue what I'm actually going to find arriving at the MDR on Iona at 6p.m. on Mar. 6th.

I think it's a sad state of affairs when those cruising have no idea as to what to expect when turning up at an MDR on a formal night. It appears to be a wishy washy policy where those responsible for enforcing the rules that P&O state in their literature or online in some cases allow passengers in to certain areas and some don't. I don't necessarily see the wearing of formal attire as being a generational thing as some young and some old either prefer to wear it or not. I like a mixture myself of formal and informal. It seems because of this diversity with regards to the wearing of formal or not that P&O seem stuck between to stools. Do they do away with formals and alienate those that like them ? or do they continue with them and have those that prefer not to dress formally going elsewhere for their cruises/holidays.

17 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Well we are on the same cruise and I will definitely be wearing my dinner suit and black tie on both 6th/16th and think many

others will do the same. Perhaps if you don't like adhering P&Os dress code then perhaps you should have not booked to cruise with them and stayed with MSC.

Oh dear, oh dear, MajorTom - we appear to be on the same cruise, but should perhaps stay 3 decks apart.

This is the age of 'inclusivity', not exclusivity.

There are not, actually, so many cruises operating out of Southampton for those who can't/won't fly. P&O are one of those who do...and is it REALLY a 'dealbreaker' in 2023 that those who'd rather not (for practical as much as expense reasons) pack 'dresswear' for a couple of hours on 2 nights out of 14 CANNOT dine in the same restaurant as those who'd rather dress formally ?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I think it's a sad state of affairs when those cruising have no idea as to what to expect when turning up at an MDR on a formal night. It appears to be a wishy washy policy where those responsible for enforcing the rules that P&O state in their literature or online in some cases allow passengers in to certain areas and some don't. I don't necessarily see the wearing of formal attire as being a generational thing as some young and some old either prefer to wear it or not. I like a mixture myself of formal and informal. It seems because of this diversity with regards to the wearing of formal or not that P&O seem stuck between to stools. Do they do away with formals and alienate those that like them ? or do they continue with them and have those that prefer not to dress formally going elsewhere for their cruises/holidays.

I'm not that bothered whether the keep then or not. If they remain the formal dress code should be enforced in formal venues. If we choose not to dress formally there are plenty of other venues.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, CliveJ said:

Oh dear, oh dear, MajorTom - we appear to be on the same cruise, but should perhaps stay 3 decks apart.

There are not, actually, so many cruises operating out of Southampton for those who can't/won't fly. P&O are one of those who do...and is it REALLY a 'dealbreaker' in 2023 that those who'd rather not (for practical as much as expense reasons) pack 'dresswear' for a couple of hours on 2 nights out of 14 CANNOT dine in the same restaurant as those who'd rather dress formally ?

We don't always dress formally on formal nights, so dine elsewhere. Nothing to do with inclusively, but everything to do with plain good manners.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Quite - & as suggested in my post to MajorTom, cannot the two 'camps' co-exist for a couple of hours, without fractious exchanges (& this is only an online forum in writing...never mind the nonsenses that people will come out with onboard). 

Does my failing to don a suit/DJ(while happily compromising with a smart shirt/tie) spoil the evening for those who want to dress 'to the nines' ?

What other areas of some guests failing to respect the preferences of others would P&O like to include here - suspect we could all think of a few ? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

I'm not that bothered whether the keep then or not. If they remain the formal dress code should be enforced in formal venues. If we choose not to dress formally there are plenty of other venues.

I do agree. I like formals, although not too many. If you have them, then enforce them in the areas deemed necessary. But have read on this forum of many instances where people are turning up in chino's and are allowed in. This is obviously a case of whoever is in charge not wishing to upset the individual but being prepared to upset those that have made the effort in the belief that this is the requirement.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CliveJ said:

Simple really if you don't like the dress code on P&O then perhaps you should not have booked with them. MSC Virtuosa is sailing on Friday and throughout March perhaps you should have booked with them.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We don't always dress formally on formal nights, so dine elsewhere. Nothing to do with inclusively, but everything to do with plain good manners.

Right - fine...no problem at all with manners/respect. Are the cruise lines, in this case particularly P&O, aware of/prepared to adapt to this. Everyone's paid for 2 'smart' dinners - perhaps there should now be provision made to accommodate those who don't wish to splash out on appearance in one 'formal' room, while for those who do....?

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Simple really if you don't like the dress code on P&O then perhaps you should not have booked with them.

Bye bye, MajorTom - have a great cruise...your way; I'll try to do so in mine !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, CliveJ said:

You are not going to get a definitive answer on that question. After many formal nights with dinner jacket etc I don't bother any more so don't go to the venues designated as 'formal' on those nights. I don't find this reduces my enjoyment of the cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CliveJ said:

Quite - & as suggested in my post to MajorTom, cannot the two 'camps' co-exist for a couple of hours, without fractious exchanges (& this is only an online forum in writing...never mind the nonsenses that people will come out with onboard). 

Does my failing to don a suit/DJ(while happily compromising with a smart shirt/tie) spoil the evening for those who want to dress 'to the nines' ?

What other areas of some guests failing to respect the preferences of others would P&O like to include here - suspect we could all think of a few ? 

I do believe if you have a dress code that there should be a level of smartness required for a formal evening. I have absolutely no objection with regards to this. If you, meaning anyone prefer to wear jeans and a tee shirt then there should be areas within the ship to cater for those that wish to dress down rather than dress up. I don't want an us and them situation, but have myself been in places where I have been quite smart and felt out of place because others have come in wearing boilersuits and jeans. So I see it as working both ways. Although I suppose there are those that don't care either way. 

• Like 2

I fly out this Friday 03/03/23 to Barbados to join Arvia for 2 weeks around the Caribbean, Formal nights are not something that i am used to to be honest and with being a new cruiser as well not something i have had to do in the past, 

I don't possess a tuxedo or the likes but i have managed to acquire what i see as quite a smart suit with white shirt and bow tie,

I have no doubt it will feel quite alien to me to dress this way but i am looking forward to it, i mean is it to much to ask or to much trouble for 1 night a week? i don't know? but i am willing to give it a try to find out,

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, GemC said:

I fly out this Friday 03/03/23 to Barbados to join Arvia for 2 weeks around the Caribbean, Formal nights are not something that i am used to to be honest and with being a new cruiser as well not something i have had to do in the past, 

I don't possess a tuxedo or the likes but i have managed to acquire what i see as quite a smart suit with white shirt and bow tie,

I have no doubt it will feel quite alien to me to dress this way but i am looking forward to it, i mean is it to much to ask or to much trouble for 1 night a week? i don't know? but i am willing to give it a try to find out,

I am sure you will have a wonderful time. First cruises are usually very special, so enjoy every moment. Let us know how it all goes.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, GemC said:

No wish - at all - to take exception to your post, Sir/Ma'am...but practicality comes into this too. What proportion of your baggage allowance might be taken up by a suit that you may wear for, perhaps, 5 hrs. over 2 weeks ?

I have such clothes (well, if they still fit ?!), but carting them round the country (or much further) just to be polite - sorry, in this day & age, seems a step too far !

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GemC said:

Have a great time GemC. As Angel57 said, first cruises are usually so special. Enjoy every minute. I'll look forward to hearing how you get on. Best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, davecttr said:

You are not going to get a definitive answer on that question. After many formal nights with dinner jacket etc I don't bother any more so don't go to the venues designated as 'formal' on those nights. I don't find this reduces my enjoyment of the cruise.

For our 2 week Caribbean cruise on Britannia  we have decided that we will skip the 4 formal nights and eat elsewhere. A couple of Beach houses and maybe a couple of meals in the buffet. Unfortunately we will have to play it by ear as we may not know too far in advance when the formal nights will be. TBH, we would feel a bit uncomfortable eating in the MDR if we were not conforming to that nights dress code. When we do dress up posh I like to see that others have also made the effort.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, CliveJ said:

No wish - at all - to take exception to your post, Sir/Ma'am...but practicality comes into this too. What proportion of your baggage allowance might be taken up by a suit that you may wear for, perhaps, 5 hrs. over 2 weeks ?

I have such clothes (well, if they still fit ?!), but carting them round the country (or much further) just to be polite - sorry, in this day & age, seems a step too far !

Don't concern yourself, there are plenty of informal venues. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CliveJ said:

No exception taken 😉, i fully understand and can see your point of view and to be honest they are some of the thoughts that i had, In the end i just thought i might as well give it a go, nothing ventured nothing gained so to speak, I mean if it's not for me  then i will be putting the suit up for sale 😁

• Like 2

Just now, GemC said:

No exception taken 😉, i fully understand and can see your point of view and to be honest they are some of the thoughts that i had, In the end i just thought i might as well give it a go, nothing ventured nothing gained so to speak, I mean if it's not for me  then i will be putting the suit up for sale 😁

Plenty of folk in smart suits. Who knows, after your cruise you may decide to splash out on a dinner suit. Mine was purchased after about our 5th cruise. 25 cruises later it doesn't get used much, but never say never.🤣

• Like 2

What we are expected to wear on board never comes into how we choose a cruise,where it sails to,when it departs,the price & how good a value it seems are what matters.

I really don't care what everyone else is wearing,as long as I am comfortable is all that matters,I would never get annoyed about what anyone else wears,that is their choice,or at least it should be!

• Like 6