All your P&O dress code comments and queries.

jomf

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Regardless of the dress code, I find it difficult to imagine wearing the same pair of shoes, day and night, for over two weeks !

I recently did just that; well, for the evenings anyway. I wore a pair of really comfy black Chelsea boots when dining, went well with my black suit for the formal nights and also with black jeans for the other nights. They were the only shoes I packed. I boarded wearing my Skechers, which were my day shoes throughout the cruise.

13 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

On a 2 week cruise from Southampton I usually take 8 or 9 pairs of shoes…… 🤣

And that's just why I usually only take two pairs, on my feet for day wear and in the case for evening wear; the boss needs space for hers!🙄

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TigerB said:

And that's just why I usually only take two pairs, on my feet for day wear and in the case for evening wear; the boss needs space for hers!🙄

My recent cruises have been in the region of 19 nights. I take three pairs for the evening, patent for Formal Nights, one pair black shoes and one pair of brown. Wear skechers to board and for some daytime wear. Sandals for hot climate cruise and flip-flops for wearing around the pool etc.

26 minutes ago, TigerB said:

I too would take more, including patent shoes for the formal nights, but we only had two formal nights on our last cruise, so compromised on the footwear.

I tell a lie, I did take a third pair, if my open toed Crocs for post-shower and going to and from the sex ponds count. 

I dont consider patent shoes (for men) are essential wear for formal nights, a good quality black leather shoe is also perfectly acceptable.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CliveJ said:

Exactly as it should be...no-one's 'right' and, within fairly obvious limits, no-one's 'wrong' either. But sadly this is a P&O dress thread, so...?

My take is that if P & O drop the formal requirement the ambience onboard will not change.
We prefer to be comfortable while eating, sitting in a suit, tie etc can be hot and lessen the enjoyment.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jomf said:

My take is that if P & O drop the formal requirement the ambience onboard will not change.
We prefer to be comfortable while eating, sitting in a suit, tie etc can be hot and lessen the enjoyment.  

Never been too hot or too cold in a P&O MDR, whether wearing a jacket or a short sleeved shirt. But I disagree with your assumption that if the dress code was relaxed things would stay the same, I very much doubt that, IMO within a couple of years formal wear would then be very rare.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Never been too hot or too cold in a P&O MDR, whether wearing a jacket or a short sleeved shirt. But I disagree with your assumption that if the dress code was relaxed things would stay the same, I very much doubt that, IMO within a couple of years formal wear would then be very rare.

I feel that the vibe onboard has far more to do with the price the cruise is sold at than the clothes people wear. 
Our last P & O cruise was sold off cheaply at the last minute and the behaviour onboard was pretty bad. The clothes worn were correct as far as the dress code went, didn’t help their behaviour though.

We often find the dining rooms are too warm, spoils the evening.

4 hours ago, Angel57 said:

On a 2 week cruise from Southampton I usually take 8 or 9 pairs of shoes…… 🤣

And what is wrong with that?  On our last cruise, as I was unpacking DH asked why I needed 2 pairs of red shoes, then said I was ridiculous when I explained that they we different shades of red to go with different outfits, he gave up asking when he saw that I had  7 pairs of shoes, 2 pairs of sandals and a pair of trainers.  He was even less pleased when I bought another pair of sandals in Cadiz. 🤣

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

And what is wrong with that?  On our last cruise, as I was unpacking DH asked why I needed 2 pairs of red shoes, then said I was ridiculous when I explained that they we different shades of red to go with different outfits, he gave up asking when he saw that I had  7 pairs of shoes, 2 pairs of sandals and a pair of trainers.  He was even less pleased when I bought another pair of sandals in Cadiz. 🤣

That all sounds perfectly sensible to me. 🤣 👠🥿🩴👡

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

The website says you can wear for National Dress, there is no official National Dress for England as there is for Scotland & Wales.

Ideas of wat National Dress for England should be like? Light hearted please. 

This is where I duck out, on the grounds that the contribution of my two images (one showing us as perceived by the English and one as perceived by the rest of the world) might breach some of the guidelines.  😇

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

The website says you can wear for National Dress, there is no official National Dress for England as there is for Scotland & Wales.

maxresdefault.jpg.6146ee7ed646e57b8f7ad75494f739c4.jpg

We hear your plea of what you wanna be ,just dress wicked and don't go dissing other

peoples shoes unless they are knock off Nike ones .

We dress good for our Mackie Dees ,so do for your cruise ships please !

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, jomf said:

I feel that the vibe onboard has far more to do with the price the cruise is sold at than the clothes people wear. 
Our last P & O cruise was sold off cheaply at the last minute and the behaviour onboard was pretty bad. The clothes worn were correct as far as the dress code went, didn’t help their behaviour though.

I've found it quite chilly in the public areas on our last couple of cruises!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Not this....

image.png.0a68682e724c513342428aa1da72764b.png

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Is he wearing a bra?   Looks a bit like it - and about 8 months pregnant as well.

Yes, the pride of England!

What an example for the youngsters to look up to, Still I suppose that his Mum thinks that he is wonderful.

3 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

Yes, the pride of England!

What an example for the youngsters to look up to, Still I suppose that his Mum thinks that he is wonderful.

I think he ate his mum.🙄

• Haha 3

On 2/28/2023 at 2:56 PM, jomf said:

I think that the problem on formal nights is catering on one hand for gentlemen wearing jackets and on the other for ladies who might be wearing sleeveless dresses. In older days when rooms were not heated to modern day levels gentlemen would have been comfortable, and ladies would have worn stoles or shawls.

On 2/28/2023 at 7:02 PM, Snow Hill said:

Morris dancers?.

12 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I remember once on Azura and a gentleman tried to get in one of the bars where the dress code applied and he was wearing a football shirt and track suit bottoms. The waiter told him he would have to wear a jacket so he disappeared and came back with track suit jacket on and the waiter served him. This was a few years back so dress code differences are not new. By the way he was obviously a Liverpool fan and stuck out like a sore thumb.

Perhaps they should try an approach once described by Joshe Homme of Queens Of The Stone Age about a restaurant where he grew up in Palm Springs frequented by the likes of Dean Martin where it was a requirement to wear a jacket to enter,they had a supply of jackets at the entrance which would be given to those without,a member of staff would accompany them to the table,remove the jacket & return it to the front door,kept somebody in a job!😎