All your P&O dress code comments and queries.

jomf

10 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

It does amaze me how many people seem to think that it is a condition of sailing that you must dress up for the formal nights.  It is an option for those that wish to enjoy it, not compulsory. 

It is compulsory in certain venues. However,  P&O do not always enforce the rules.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

It does amaze me how many people seem to think that it is a condition of sailing that you must dress up for the formal nights.  It is an option for those that wish to enjoy it, not compulsory. 

I do agree, it's not compulsory and I feel sure that one day as with what they now call Club Dining will completely disappear as it has on Iona and Arvia. But whilst I am not in any regards a high roller I do like Formal evenings. Not too many as sometimes P&O do tend to pack them in on some cruises. Each to their own as they say.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It is compulsory in certain venues. However,  P&O do not always enforce the rules.

I have know over the years fellow passengers taking staff to task over not enforcing formal wear in areas where P&O have deemed it necessary to wear such attire. Which is the correct thing they should do. If you have rules why be afraid to enforce them. If you don't wish to dress up you have two options. Find an area where you are allowed to dress as you wish, or go on a cruise line that doesn't have those type of evenings or don't take that type of holiday at all. There are many types and choices of holiday. Camping, Glamping, Hotel, Coach, Package etc, etc. Surely one could find a holiday that suits rather than going on one and then moaning about the sea being rough, foreign staff, missing a port and the comedian not being funny. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That was not the issue.  It is the implication that you 'must' dress up for formal nights.

I also dress up for formal nights, but not all of them.  It is a free choice with P&O, not compulsory.

We experienced the snobbery first hand on our recent Iona cruise.  The four of us had been enjoying drinks in the Crows next for a few hours, when we noticed stares, pointing and muttering from an adjoining table about our clothing and footwear.  Unbeknown to us it was after 6pm on a formal night.  They even commented to the waiter, whom, credit to the man, stood between our tables so all could hear, that we had been in the bar for some time and we would leave when we are ready.  If we wanted to order more drinks we were welcome to stay.  A few words were exchanged with the table concerned, and we left to get changed for dinner in the MDR, and yes we were all in formal attire.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I have know over the years fellow passengers taking staff to task over not enforcing formal wear in areas where P&O have deemed it necessary to wear such attire. Which is the correct thing they should do. If you have rules why be afraid to enforce them. If you don't wish to dress up you have two options. Find an area where you are allowed to dress as you wish, or go on a cruise line that doesn't have those type of evenings or don't take that type of holiday at all. There are many types and choices of holiday. Camping, Glamping, Hotel, Coach, Package etc, etc. Surely one could find a holiday that suits rather than going on one and then moaning about the sea being rough, foreign staff, missing a port and the comedian not being funny. 

I think you have missed the point of this thread.  The question is what dining areas aside from the buffet are available if you do not want to dress up.  Most interesting to myself as we are flying out to Azura twice in the coming months and I have no intention of taking my DJ.

You also seem to be suggesting that if you don't like dressing up, then P&O is not the cruise line to sail with.

And if you had heard one of the 'comedians' on Iona, you would also complain!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't. We book the cruise mainly on the itinerary. When we go on Britannia to the Caribbean in December, our formal clothes won't be joining us. We have stuff that we purchased brand new in shops. Charity shop clothes.......no thanks.🤣

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

I think you have missed the point of this thread.  The question is what dining areas aside from the buffet are available if you do not want to dress up.  Most interesting to myself as we are flying out to Azura twice in the coming months and I have no intention of taking my DJ.

You also seem to be suggesting that if you don't like dressing up, then P&O is not the cruise line to sail with.

And if you had heard one of the 'comedians' on Iona, you would also complain!

On Britannia in October we avoided 3 out of the 4 formal nights. On Azura now and got roped into both. Again in April, but will try and avoid them. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't. We book the cruise mainly on the itinerary. When we go on Britannia to the Caribbean in December, our formal clothes won't be joining us. We have stuff that we purchased brand new in shops. Charity shop clothes.......no thanks.🤣

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Believe me you don't end up looking like the Artful Dodger buying charity shop clothes. Only a few months ago I bought a pair of jeans for £6.99 they still had the original £30 price tag on them. By the way, not all my clothes come from charity shops. Just the odd new and generally unworn stuff.

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

On Britannia in October we avoided 3 out of the 4 formal nights. On Azura now and got roped into both. Again in April, but will try and avoid them. 

We have 3 on the 13 night transfer cruise from Tenerife to Malta in March.  1st formal night Beach House, 2nd formal night Sindhu.  May just have a large lunch on the 3rd formal night, and graze in the buffet later in the evening.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

That was not the issue.  It is the implication that you 'must' dress up for formal nights.

I also dress up for formal nights, but not all of them.  It is a free choice with P&O, not compulsory.

We experienced the snobbery first hand on our recent Iona cruise.  The four of us had been enjoying drinks in the Crows next for a few hours, when we noticed stares, pointing and muttering from an adjoining table about our clothing and footwear.  Unbeknown to us it was after 6pm on a formal night.  They even commented to the waiter, whom, credit to the man, stood between our tables so all could hear, that we had been in the bar for some time and we would leave when we are ready.  If we wanted to order more drinks we were welcome to stay.  A few words were exchanged with the table concerned, and we left to get changed for dinner in the MDR, and yes we were all in formal attire.

I’m probably going to be shot down in flames here because whereas I agree with most of what you say, I do think that if a venue has a notice up saying that formal wear is required after 6pm then those rules should be upheld (with a certain discretion of say 30 mins to allow for drinks to be finished). I think the waiter was wrong to say you could order yet more drinks whilst not dressed as per the rules……

My personal opinion is one formal night a week is more than sufficient and if they have dress codes in a specific bar or MDR, then either enforce them or abandon them altogether….

• Like 8

23 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

The answer could be why book a holiday with P&O when you know they like to have at least one formal attire night every 7 days?

I've booked knowing you don't have to wear formal. But at the same time wanting to show respect to the passengers who do want to wear formal

Been there seen it done it on all various cruise lines in various parts of the wrold

Don't fancy it in the Caribbean - we fly to Barbados Saturday for 2 weeks on Arvia. Can't wait

We manage teams of our own staff at hospitality (part time now) at some of the biggest formal events in the UK

The big sporting events

Big charity fundraising events at the top hotels in the UK

We have to be formal and/or smart for our work

Last thing I want to do is be formal on holiday as well

I'm taking smart normal trousers and shirts and smart polo shirts for 2 weeks. Will avoid anywhere that needs formal on those nights so I don't cause anybody any concerns

Can someone remind me which restaurants and bars also allow long tailored shorts in the evenings ? As I'm taking some of those as well?

On Caribbean cruises? Is it just the buffet and outdoor bars? Where you can wear long shorts?

I've forgotten!!

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

33 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I've booked knowing you don't have to wear formal. But at the same time wanting to show respect to the passengers who do want to wear formal

Been there seen it done it on all various cruise lines in various parts of the wrold

Can someone remind me which restaurants and bars also allow long tailored shorts in the evenings ? As I'm taking some of those as well?

On Caribbean cruises? Is it just the buffet and outdoor bars? Where you can wear long shorts?

I've forgotten!!

From the Cruise Planner:

Evening casual

Be as creative as you like! After a busy day exploring ashore (or lazing by the pool), there’s so much to look forward to on board. For Evening Casual nights, dress as you would for dinner in a nice restaurant. Think smart-casual trousers and tops, shirts and skirts, or midis, maxis minis and mules. And darker denims too. But no tracksuits (unless you’re in the gym). For Caribbean holidays tailored shorts may be worn in the buffet areas and open deck bars. What to pair them with is up to you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Are you going to America and the Caribbean by any chance ? 

No, just a short cruise from Malta. Trying to sort out which evening to book which restaurant.

2 hours ago, TigerB said:

Further to the above, on our recent Caribbean cruise and on the day we hit our first island, St Maarten, all the Hawaiian shirts were on display at dinner in the MDR, some worn with shorts.

That's the thing. I have a feeling tailored shorts won't be just in outside bars and buffet.

Will wear long trousers to start with and see whats happening inside on non-formal nights

I feel tailored shorts are better than dark denim myself. I feel smarter in them personally.

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

That's the thing. I have a feeling tailored shorts won't be just in outside bars and buffet.

Will wear long trousers to start with and see whats happening inside on non-formal nights

I feel tailored shorts are better than dark denim myself. I feel smarter in them personally.

I agree, particularly if it's in the Caribbean 

10 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Personally, I find that the aircon generally keeps the MDRs at a low enough temperature to make shorts unnecessary indoors, and maybe even a little uncomfortable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Personally, I find that the aircon generally keeps the MDRs at a low enough temperature to make shorts unnecessary indoors, and maybe even a little uncomfortable.

Yes but like someone mentioned above

In the Caribbean in the evening  it's nice to go inside and outside 

Especially on ships that are designed for sunshine cruising and outdoor entertainment as well as indoor

Personally I would have no objection to tailored shorts, especially in the Caribbean. 

Unfortunately,  I think many will disregard the "tailored " aspect, and all sorts of football shorts,  gym wear etc will make an appearance.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Personally I would have no objection to tailored shorts, especially in the Caribbean. 

Unfortunately,  I think many will disregard the "tailored " aspect, and all sorts of football shorts,  gym wear etc will make an appearance.

It is not the style of shorts that sorry me it's the legs hanging from them and black socks many seem to wear.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Angel57 said:

I’m probably going to be shot down in flames here because whereas I agree with most of what you say, I do think that if a venue has a notice up saying that formal wear is required after 6pm then those rules should be upheld (with a certain discretion of say 30 mins to allow for drinks to be finished). I think the waiter was wrong to say you could order yet more drinks whilst not dressed as per the rules……

My personal opinion is one formal night a week is more than sufficient and if they have dress codes in a specific bar or MDR, then either enforce them or abandon them altogether….

Absolutely agree. In the past, bar staff would very politely point out that it had turned 6pm and Formal Dress is now required.

Personally, I like the 2 Formals per week, although not necessarily on a longer itinerary.

• Like 6