Housekeeping moving to once a day?

Donsyb

6 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

As if the amount of outstanding stock held by regular cruisers was significant enough to effect any sort of change.

The average shareholder is primarily concerned with the bottom line, which this change is designed to improve (unless of course the cost savings are wiped out by the revenue loss from pax defecting to other lines).

Please see my post #113.

New normal! Once a day cleaning and turn down service in the evening is something we can live with. The pandemic has changed everything. The folks working onboard are dealing with far worse things in their homelands. Cruise companies are trying to figure out how to stay afloat!  Daily meetings at corporate are discussing cost cutting ways for survival. From only 2 choices of tea bags to running out of bananas on the 3 rd day and so forth a cruise now is far different from pre covid19! Not to mention coming home with covid19 on both recent cruise! Double vaccinated and double boosted and even the 5 th vaccinations tooooo! 

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

Isn't there a magnetic sign you put on the door to indicate if you're sleeping or out,   or am I thinking of Celebrity. 

Usually see our steward in the hall when we leave our room 

Maybe those posters that are super clean, make their own beds, clean out the trash, use a ratty towel multiple times or days, should place their magnetic sign with "Sleepint it off" and take it off when they want cabin service.  

I had a passenger adjoining my cabin on Anthem, that had the sleeping sign on for at a minimum 85% of the time.  The only reason that I knew the cabin was occupied I heard her loud voice one day when my balcony door was open.  Maybe she was a member of the test group.🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kbonner said:

Being from Europe and reading the excessive tipping issues here, I tend to think that - isolated to US citizen- they have a tipping inferiority complex. Standing by for corrections.

It’s amazing to me how many people want others to know what they do with regard to tipping. Not sure if it’s tipping inferiority or tipping arrogance. 

• Like 6

Boarded the  Indy yesterday Picked  evening  service. It's  nice not to have to wonder when my cabin will be done 🙃 once a day is good for me  I  wish I had thought of requesting once a day a long time ago 

Edited by molly361
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Cigar King said:

Maybe it would be better if Royal doubled the gratuities, and just built them into the cruise fare.   Staff gets more money, and the cheapskates can't stiff em anymore.  Win, win.

Will never happen unless the government gets involved in how cruise fares are advertised.  Unless they're going for the upscale/luxury model, cruise lines want to advertise the lowest lead-in prices possible then add in all "fees" (including grats) on the back end. 

Airlines in the US used to do the same until the government required their advertised prices to include all mandatory fees.

And besides, if people pull their autotips it's not the cruiselines they're hurting but rather the crew.

13 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Will never happen unless the government gets involved in how cruise fares are advertised.  Unless they're going for the upscale/luxury model, cruise lines want to advertise the lowest lead-in prices possible then add in all "fees" (including grats) on the back end. 

Airlines in the US used to do the same until the government required their advertised prices to include all mandatory fees.

And besides, if people pull their autotips it's not the cruiselines they're hurting but rather the crew.

Not 100% certain, but I think the cruise lines use tip money as part of the crews minimum wage. If auto grats are pulled, they make up the difference 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Boarded the  Indy yesterday Picked  evening  service. It's  nice not to have to wonder when my cabin will be done 🙃 once a day is good for me  I  wish I had thought of requesting once a day a long time ago 

You should have talked with my wife😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

"Just"? Your list of needs is about 75% of the work a steward did in the evening under twice-a-day service.  Or 95% if the bed hasn't been slept in since it was made in the morning and turndown service doesn't require remaking the bed.

Exactly!  That's the whole point of turn down service.  For me, turn down service is an integral part of my cruising experience.  Call me what you will...I don't really care.  I am who I am and I'll pay for a suite to get what I want.  IMO though, a cruiser should not have to pay for a suite to receive full cabin service.  My opinion and $11.95 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks 🤣

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Agree. Except that an unhappy crew will soon become a very big problem for the cruise line.

Well that just it.  They are already short handed.  If some dont reup its gonna be a problem.   I am sure they stewards are making more,  but being worked to death is another thing altogether.  On the 8 post covid cruises i have been on. Every one was severely short handed working their asses off. 

2 minutes ago, resetjet said:

Ok.  I wasnt sure.  I included them because they are tipped directly. Are bar also staff?  I believe i read they were even though they also get tips.

They may be contractors like shopkeepers, spa staff, etc..

6 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I just asked my cabin steward if this was a good thing .  he should make more money since there's more cabins and he said it's too soon to tell 

Laura spoke with one on Serenade trip earlier this month. She wasn't happy. Said she'd been a steward for over 20 years. Surprised she hadn't been promoted by now if that's accurate 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Extra sheets are under your bed now

Aren't those there to get as much as possible pre-staged for turnaround day?  Nothing to stop you from re-making your own bed with them, I suppose, but I never got the impression that's why they were there.

6 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Aren't those there to get as much as possible pre-staged for turnaround day?  Nothing to stop you from re-making your own bed with them, I suppose, but I never got the impression that's why they were there.

Correct, but easily replaced. 

If I wanted new sheets midweek, I'd just ask. 

I'll make my bed, but I don't change sheets

The question was raised as to what is the current tip allotment.

Before the grats were $14.50.

$3.55 steward 24%

$6.25 dining 43%

$4.70 hotel  33 percent

Now at $18 it stands to reason

$4.50 steward 24%

$7.74 dining 43%

$5.92 hotel 33%

9 minutes ago, resetjet said:

The question was raised as to what is the current tip allotment.

Before the grats were $14.50.

$3.55 steward 24%

$6.25 dining 43%

$4.70 hotel  33 percent

Now at $18 it stands to reason

$4.50 steward 24%

$7.74 dining 43%

$5.92 hotel 33%

I think you might want to check that.  $14.50 was the "non-suite" amount before.  $18 is the "suite" amount now.  I believe "non-suite" is currently $16.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1