Housekeeping moving to once a day?

Donsyb

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Did you let your feelings be known to anyone?

No we didn’t, mainly because we knew this was the first week with the change. We did hunt down the room steward for wine glasses one of the days. I’ll be raising these issues when I complete the survey.

1 hour ago, resetjet said:

You note so many issues. 2 cleanings can never equal 1.  They are overworked and getting the rooms done in the evening is sketchy.  Miss your one service as we did and by the time he comes the next evening your ice is melted,  glasses are used,  dishes line the cabin,  towels are dirty and trash is full. 

I didn’t go into detail, but we definitely experienced the melted ice by evening, accumulating dirty dishes and glasses, and full trash (a couple of days). He did seemed overworked. Also, with the increased number of cabins, it’s more work for them to remember names and who is in which cabin, so less of a personal feel to the service. We like to chat with our cabin attendant normally, but during the second week we didn’t want to interrupt/disturb him.

I really wasn’t expecting the decrease to 1 day service to make such a difference (we are pretty easygoing/relaxed about things normally) but on this cruise there was a noticeable decline.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, karebare22 said:

No we didn’t, mainly because we knew this was the first week with the change. We did hunt down the room steward for wine glasses one of the days. I’ll be raising these issues when I complete the survey.

I didn’t go into detail, but we definitely experienced the melted ice by evening, accumulating dirty dishes and glasses, and full trash (a couple of days). He did seemed overworked. Also, with the increased number of cabins, it’s more work for them to remember names and who is in which cabin, so less of a personal feel to the service. We like to chat with our cabin attendant normally, but during the second week we didn’t want to interrupt/disturb him.

I really wasn’t expecting the decrease to 1 day service to make such a difference (we are pretty easygoing/relaxed about things normally) but on this cruise there was a noticeable decline.

Exactly for us every word you said.   Same tip as well.  Stewards are not happy and we arent either. Seems fine on the surface until you do it.  And why didnt they cut the tip in half as well?????  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Thank you for the perspective.

I just wanted to highlight that peoples’ perspectives will differ for sure. Our friends joined us for this B2B cruise, their very first cruise with Royal. During the second week, our cabins were next to each other and they had the same cabin attendant, but asked for morning service instead. They had no complaints and didn’t mention having a problem with once vs twice a day service.

Unlike us, they really had no other standard to which they could compare the experience, whereas we know what we need/expect with the service based on past cruise history.

Well I guess I will see for myself in May but it sounds like major first world problems to me.  I haven’t heard one issue I can’t handle myself. And I don’t mind doing so.  I don’t need to be waited on hand & foot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Homelines said:

We try hard to keep our room clean and to make conversation and show appreciation to our stateroom attendant.  However, I go on a cruise to be pampered and want twice a day service.  It is nice to have a cleaned stateroom late morning and when going to bed.  I am not there to make life easier for the attendant, although we truly try and show our appreciation with additional tips and kindness.  I don't think twice a day service is too much to expect.

It's over!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 3:02 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

Yes, it is true.  That is the current practice on several ship and more implementing that practice soon.  I understand Wonder will start once a day service tomorrow ( Feb 19).

Tipping prices go up and service goes down. Something is wrong with this picture!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, karebare22 said:

When people say "I like fresh ice" someone always says "well now just call for it". Try doing that. Then let's us know how long it took to get someone on the phone. Then to actually show up with it. Really so convenient. Someone please try and review that process.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, island lady said:

Ironically, the one cruise we would most have liked a suite...is the longest one and can't have it.  

By the time we were able to book 1/2 of the world cruise, which was originally two legs of the four legs,  (after the whole 274 pax cruisers had their pick and choose) we could not (and still can't) book anything over a regular balcony cabin.  

Otherwise...yes, we book a JS as a minimum with a lot of GS, OS, and rare CLS cabins tossed in.  

I thought I read yesterday that a few suites had opened up?

12 hours ago, davekathy said:

. 🤬Totally disagree with anyone suggesting twice a day service should be based on cabin category or CAS tier level. 

Right - may I assume that suite guests generally make more dirt than the other cabin classes?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, poocher said:

Well I guess I will see for myself in May but it sounds like major first world problems to me.  I haven’t heard one issue I can’t handle myself. And I don’t mind doing so.  I don’t need to be waited on hand & foot.

Please tell me some issue with cruising that isn't a first world problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

There were two OS's

One went immediately 

FWIW, Bailey, and likely a few other Miami suits plan on joining us off and on thru out the voyage. Guess they could get some suite digs.

How do you find out about the availability?  I know not possible online, but perhaps Ken is keeping you informed?  

Naturally I am only interested in half the WC, former 1st and 4th leg.  There must be very slim pickings for the individual 17 smaller legs.  

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

I thought I read yesterday that a few suites had opened up?

I just found John's message on this board this morning.  First I heard of it. 

I already stated..will call this afternoon.  Out to sea right now on Jewel...no cell signal until this afternoon.  

1 hour ago, island lady said:

How do you find out about the availability?  I know not possible online, but perhaps Ken is keeping you informed?  

Naturally I am only interested in half the WC, former 1st and 4th leg.  There must be very slim pickings for the individual 17 smaller legs.  

Combination of posts on our FB group (500+ members) and info from TA.

And you can't book a suite for just segments as of now. Full trip only

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, island lady said:

I just found John's message on this board this morning.  First I heard of it. 

I already stated..will call this afternoon.  Out to sea right now on Jewel...no cell signal until this afternoon.  

You don't do wifi calling?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Combination of posts on our FB group (500+ members) and info from TA.

And you can't book a suite for just segments as of now. Full trip only

Ahh...OK, thanks.  That leaves me out again.  Oh well, getting used to the thought of living in a closet for couple months at a time.  At least we do have a balcony, and not "in the bilge".  😄 

On a more related thread topic, can immediately tell the cabin attendants are overwhelmed with the larger load of cabins this week on Jewel. 

Though it does not affect us being in a suite, morning service is an hour or two later than usual, and the attitudes of the usually happy attendants we met last week in the hallways (before the once a day went into effect this week) are more stressed out and not as relaxed and happy.  Shame.  

New, much smaller, carts they are using now as well.  Which one attendant we had last month, told us it made no sense.  More cabins to do, smaller carts.  😞 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

No, never really needed it.  I have international plan if I want to use it...pretty good deal with AT&T.  If you do use it, it's 10.00 a day...only for the day you actually use it.  

May do WIFI calling on our WC, and the new itineraries I have booked around the globe beyond that.  I can use AT&T in Mexico and Canada, with no added fees.  

Using email only, I booked Australia circumnavigation with Viking yesterday.  I do email way more than actual phone calls.  

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I know some like to  disconnect  when cruising - but we couldn't cruise so often without technology and especially WIFI calling. ( many family/professional obligations to look after, especially on a cruise with lots of sea days)   I felt like my world connectivity  opened when it was explained to me. 

M

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I know some like to  disconnect  when cruising - but we couldn't cruise so often without technology and especially WIFI calling. ( many family/professional obligations to look after, especially on a cruise with lots of sea days)   I felt like my world connectivity  opened when it was explained to me. 

M

I agree. I feel much more comfortable knowing that family back home can reach me if they need to and they feel much more comfortable when I go away knowing that they can contact me if need be.

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I agree. I feel much more comfortable knowing that family back home can reach me if they need to and they feel much more comfortable when I go away knowing that they can contact me if need be.

I agree.

I still do a bit of consulting in my professional industry and while on a recent cruise was unexpectedly asked to sit in on a conference call (not zoom) . It was a sea day morning, and I was available. Called in (WIFI calling), spent just an hour on the phone and made some $$$. A win/win

M

• Like 2