Suggestion for cruise line

Name9335

Hello!

I got word today that has led me to begin looking into cruising! Looking for suggestions about a cruise line. I have previously cruised with NCL (several years ago), loved it, but due to life, just have not been able to go again.

Little about who will be traveling…. It will be myself (30YO at the time of planned cruise) as well as my mother (and my dad if he decides he wants to tag along…tbd). Neither of us are into the formal/fancy scene. No kids. Don’t want to spend an arm and a leg, but probably willing to spend more than the bare minimum as well. Will probably be interested in 1, maybe 2 excursions, but will mostly be on our own.

Looking to sail probably late spring/early summer of 2024, but no exact month/dates in mind at this point

Sailing in the Caribbean /somewhere warm (we are from WI/MN)

Any ideas?

We have done cruises on 4 different lines.  This is just my take.  Others may have different ideas.

Carnival is a lot of bang for your bucks.  I usually find my lowest fares with them.  We are Platinum, but just because I'm, uh, cheap. I have never gone to bed hungry. 

My favorite ships are Royal Caribbean.  Like the layouts, especially the Radiance class with the hot tubs hanging on the side, and the Promenade view cabins.  One cruise on the Serenade of the Seas we played pool on a table that stayed level with the ship's movement.  Food is about the same as Carnival.

General services are similar on both lines, but the very best entertainment that I've seen was on the Norwegian Jewel many moons ago.  I can always find something interesting on any line, but the entertainment on the Jewel wowed me.  May have to book another NCL just to see if it is still good.

• Like 1

Are you saying that you don't want to sail on a line with lots of kids, or you don't HAVE kids?

Virgin Cruises is adult-only. We haven't sailed on that line but are intrigued.

Cruises in summer and over the holidays (Christmas, Spring Break) will have more children, regardless of the cruiseline. 

Celebrity and Holland America will have fewer children but if you're wanting to party at night you might find them both a bit staid. 

For us we enjoy Celebrity - very few kids on board except holiday times (if you can sail in Late April/May there would be fewer kids.  No need to dress up.  Budget wise we watch for sales and are happy in an interior or Oceanview or balcony as a treat.  We also rarely drink so do not need a drinks package nor internet.  If you want to stay up an dance Royal Caribbean but I find it pretty over run with kids particularly on the beautiful Oasis class ships so we select cruises on the older ships.  

I'm in the same age range as you and will be on my 26th cruise soon. I've cruises all the major lines (see my signature for more information). Typically I travel with my parents and sometimes my niece (who's 10). 

If you don't like kids, consider Virgin Voyages, they're adults only.

I like Royal because of the experiences the offer. I LOVE doing the signature activities like "The Ultimate Abyss" (tallest dry slide at sea), "The North Star" (observation tower), and the bumper cars.

I didn't care for Carnival last time. For me, it's a hit or miss. I sailed 3 times with them and hated it twice. I'm giving them another chance next year.

I hated Norwegian. Too many lines and way too disorganized. I had to wait for dinner for 2 1/2 hours MINIMUM every night!

I like Celebrity, they're very well organized and is geared towards those that want to relax.

I like Princess, but they're often pricey.

I hated Costa, but I LOVED their food. The two things I hated:

1.) The announcements:

There were SEVEN LANGUAGES for the announcements, and despite English being the primary one spoken, guess which one was consistently last!

2.) Smoking: 

At the time I went, it was allowed EVERYWHERE! This non-smoker couldn't breathe anywhere outside her cabin.

3 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I hated Norwegian. Too many lines and way too disorganized. I had to wait for dinner for 2 1/2 hours MINIMUM every night!

On my 3 NCL cruises so far (including two on the Bliss which I see is your single NCL experience) I have never waited more than about 10 or 15 minutes for a table, if even that long.

for the OP - if you don't mind not having a balcony and will have one person in a room, look at the Breakaway and Breakaway+ class ships (Breakaway, Getaway, Bliss, Escape, Encore) or the Prima class ships.  Those have Studio cabins that can be had for less as there's no solo supplement to be paid.  I've stayed in one on the Bliss and will be in one on the Escape in a couple weeks.

19 hours ago, Name9335 said:

Little about who will be traveling…. It will be myself (30YO at the time of planned cruise) as well as my mother (and my dad if he decides he wants to tag along…tbd). Neither of us are into the formal/fancy scene. No kids. Don’t want to spend an arm and a leg, but probably willing to spend more than the bare minimum as well. Will probably be interested in 1, maybe 2 excursions, but will mostly be on our own.

Reading your criteria, I suggest you stick with NCL.  The lack of formality in their Freestyle concept, including no dress-up nights, is probably what you're looking for.  I don't recommend anything older than Breakaway.  

Viking - small ship w ~ 900 passengers.  Excellent cabin.  Good food.  Wonderful service. No kids allowed.

Clipper Cruises - a sailboat (you can't beat a sailboat in the Caribbean).  Interesting international clientele.  Even smaller w ~ 200 passengers.  Visits small ports that other lines do not visit.  Very casual.

DON

Clarification for those that ask (wow, first off, sorry, I didn’t realize so many had commented already! I am new to this board and just assumed I guess that I would have gotten email notifications, so sorry, I didn’t mean to abandon you guys!

we don’t have kids, not necessarely looking for “adult only”. 

1 hour ago, Name9335 said:

... I am new to this board and just assumed I guess that I would have gotten email notifications...

Perhaps this will be helpful: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, hallux said:

On my 3 NCL cruises so far (including two on the Bliss which I see is your single NCL experience) I have never waited more than about 10 or 15 minutes for a table, if even that long.

for the OP - if you don't mind not having a balcony and will have one person in a room, look at the Breakaway and Breakaway+ class ships (Breakaway, Getaway, Bliss, Escape, Encore) or the Prima class ships.  Those have Studio cabins that can be had for less as there's no solo supplement to be paid.  I've stayed in one on the Bliss and will be in one on the Escape in a couple weeks.

We are a family of 7 and have never waited for a table on NCL. I’ve looked into other lines (carnival and RCL are also a short drive), but from what I’ve read, their mtd isn’t as good, and we enjoy that aspect on NCL.

• 2 weeks later...

OP, do you like to drink -- if so, NCL with their "Free at Sea" package (not really free, but hidden) is a good deal.

Like most others, I would say NCL or Royal.   I  like NCL as it had a dedicated comedy club that we enjoyed after dinner.  And nothing older than the Breakaway class.

RCCL has more to do (Freedom class would be a nice start) -- ice skating rink, surf pool, rock climbing, etc.. if you are into that.

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 7:13 PM, Name9335 said:

Hello!

I got word today that has led me to begin looking into cruising! Looking for suggestions about a cruise line. I have previously cruised with NCL (several years ago), loved it, but due to life, just have not been able to go again.

Looking to sail probably late spring/early summer of 2024, but no exact month/dates in mind at this point

Sailing in the Caribbean /somewhere warm (we are from WI/MN)

Any ideas?

My recommendation to you would be:  Celebrity

(having sailed on Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Carnival) 

...cruising regularly for the past 21 years.