Bordeaux

SCHappilyRetired

We are taking AMA on the Bordeaux cruise in September.  We will be doing their pre-cruise in Bilbao and San Sebastian and post-cruise in France.  I don't seem to find too much on this topic.  If anyone has info they would like to share it would be much appreciated.  This is our 6th river traveling with AMA and have been very pleased with their product.  Thank you!

On 2/26/2023 at 10:50 AM, SCHappilyRetired said:

We are taking AMA on the Bordeaux cruise in September.  We will be doing their pre-cruise in Bilbao and San Sebastian and post-cruise in France.  I don't seem to find too much on this topic.  If anyone has info they would like to share it would be much appreciated.  This is our 6th river traveling with AMA and have been very pleased with their product.  Thank you!

Please report back on your cruise. We are taking our first AMA in August, but 5th river cruise. I wanted to do Bordeaux but my husband thought it would be just like the southern France one we took from Lyon. I am hoping next cruise we book, I can convince him differently. (We loved the Providence cruise)

• Like 2

We’ve done Chalon sur Saone to the Mediterranean twice and Bordeaux to Bordeaux once apart from there both being in France and both on rivers there a bit like chalk and cheese. The food specialities differ as does their wine and countryside. We will do the Bordeaux cruise again if only to see the Luminaire's and savouring their superb seafood. 

• Like 2

Bilbao and Bordeaux have more in common than just both commencing with the letter B

They're both on a river and both were the port for the export of local wines that gained worldwide fame. Plus Bilbao's wine came from the nearby Rioja wine region that became the new home of Bordeaux winemakers after Phylloxera devastated the vineyards of Bordeaux. 

In Bilbao you'll probably want to visit the Guggenheim art museum, which is close to the river. There's a big collection of stuff by Jeff Koons.

Regarding the river cruise, I've been twice,once with Viking and once with Scenic. Bordeaux is famous for its wines and all river cruise companies tend to stop at the same places, only the wineries visited differ.

Bordeaux cruise is unlike the other Europen river cruises in the it only travels a short distance, starts and ends at the same place and the riverside views are nothing special, apart from the giant castle at Blaye where no doubt you'll moor and tour.

Is there something specific you want to know?

• Like 2

In the early 70s we got to know a Spanish restaurateur in Valencia (wonderful Spanish cuisine) he firmly maintained that the French bought up all the good Spanish wine to bulk up their red wine as they couldn’t produce enough themselves. Sadly he is no longer with us but he is responsible for introducing us to Rioja, lovely man and superb chef.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2023 at 7:29 AM, tulok said:

Please report back on your cruise. We are taking our first AMA in August, but 5th river cruise. I wanted to do Bordeaux but my husband thought it would be just like the southern France one we took from Lyon. I am hoping next cruise we book, I can convince him differently. (We loved the Provdence cruise

will do.  Enjoy your time with AMA.  I don't think you'll be disappointed. Safe travels

• Like 2

On 3/5/2023 at 7:33 AM, pontac said:

Bilbao and Bordeaux have more in common than just both commencing with the letter B

They're both on a river and both were the port for the export of local wines that gained worldwide fame. Plus Bilbao's wine came from the nearby Rioja wine region that became the new home of Bordeaux winemakers after Phylloxera devastated the vineyards of Bordeaux. 

In Bilbao you'll probably want to visit the Guggenheim art museum, which is close to the river. There's a big collection of stuff by Jeff Koons.

Regarding the river cruise, I've been twice,once with Viking and once with Scenic. Bordeaux is famous for its wines and all river cruise companies tend to stop at the same places, only the wineries visited differ.

Bordeaux cruise is unlike the other Europen river cruises in the it only travels a short distance, starts and ends at the same place and the riverside views are nothing special, apart from the giant castle at Blaye where no doubt you'll moor and tour.

Is there something specific you want to know?

After researching where we wanted to cruise next I did see that this river is nothing in particular and that's ok.  We are interested in the wines.  Guggenheim is on an excursion with AMA. Wondering how that compares to the Solomon R Guggenheim Museum?  I was just wondering what the "must see" would be.  Thank you for your info!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SCHappilyRetired said:

After researching where we wanted to cruise next I did see that this river is nothing in particular and that's ok.  We are interested in the wines.  Guggenheim is on an excursion with AMA. Wondering how that compares to the Solomon R Guggenheim Museum?  I was just wondering what the "must see" would be.  Thank you for your info!

I have not been to the NYC one but recently was in Bilbao and loved the Guggenheim museum there. I have to say I am not an expert in modern art. We had a guide from Spain Day tours for about 2/3 of the museum and I got a lot out of my experience from the guide. The remaining 1/3 I got less out of with out the guide. Probably due to not having a guide for that part. 

I highly recommend going to the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao. I have a friend who is an art professor and she indicated the museums have much different collections.

• Like 1

We are interested in the wines. 

Unfortunately a lot of cruisers now are not. I've pondered elsewhere on this forum that whereas the first cruises were packed with people wanted to immerse themselves in Bordeaux - and also immerse a lot of Bordeaux in themselves - now there are many now who take this cruise because they've been on all the other rives and this is one more.

Guggenheim is on an excursion with AMA. Wondering how that compares to the Solomon R Guggenheim Museum?  I was just wondering what the "must see" would be.

Bilbao is the only Guggenheim I've been to, so cannot compare. There's a lot of Jeff Koons tat (perhaps I should say art) and there was an exhibition of a US street artist who died young and whose scribbles  (art) is now worth a fortune. Guess I wasn't knocked out.

But Rioja is bliss!

18 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

A week from now I will be flying to Bilbao.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Look forward to reporting back in 3 weeks.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Bilbao and I had an amazing time. The city won me over 🙂 And I almost skipped the port and went out of town to a beach town.

I have to say the Vizcaya Bridge is sort of bizarre. I was like "why are we stopping at this bridge??" and then it was "that is one bizarre bridge".

image.thumb.jpeg.b185c5d5c1e134e3f792fe8a1a1ccb42.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3210152386b767f1433cba5eb9ede362.jpeg

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Even moreso than the NY Guggenheim, the building is the really big draw in Bilbao.  The architecture is amazing, and because the building stands alone you can appreciate it from 360 degrees.

And who doesn't love "puppy"..... 🙂  I agree it is a cool building. I didn't think I would like the museum and am so glad I went. IMO - the museum is pretty darn cool.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Yup I’ve put a picture it’s younger sibling on the water cooler thread. There’s a bit of a bridge thing going on there. When you were in Bordeaux did their bridge open?

It did when we left port.
ETA: Oi! Sorry to make you stand on your head. How can I fix this?

1BE3D0A3-0B84-48CF-828E-286F7754EF12.thumb.jpeg.b0fd4abfeb6af318de517c05f718b1a9.jpeg

0E47A83E-CAFD-42AE-8AE9-8B457541D678.thumb.jpeg.83108ba365a89ab53eb9a889e44a3c38.jpeg

Edited by CPT Trips
Downside up
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Canal archive said:

When you were in Bordeaux did their bridge open?

Interestingly we saw a Scenic river cruise boat sail out of Bordeaux that required a bridge opening (we didn't where we were docked). We were at Citi du Vin right at the bridge when it happened. This bridge is a roadway at normal road level. They shut down the road, the piece of the road that is the bridge lifts straight up about 4 feet (maybe) and rotates, et voila, the river is open for the boat! Total process from closing the road to re-opening the road for traffic was probably 20 minutes. Just amazing! Was a highlight of the day for this engineer!