Canaletto shutting down (temporarily?) on Rotterdam March 8

Turtles06

On 3/16/2023 at 10:58 AM, Sea42 said:

Thank you, I'm looking forward to it. We have not tried Canaletto yet but the menus, old and new, look like something we would enjoy.

Canaletto on the NS still has the same menu and same nightly special as before. We both had the shrimp and it was yummy. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

Canaletto on the NS still has the same menu and same nightly special as before. We both had the shrimp and it was yummy. 🙂

Thanks for the information! One of nice things about not having tried it before is that we won't miss what's been taken off on the new menu. From what I'm seeing we will like either menu, so we'll see what we get in May.

Edited by Sea42
  • Like 2

On 3/15/2023 at 2:49 PM, Crew News said:

Any other HAL ships using the new Canaletto menu?

I just got off Nieuw Statendam today and asked the manager about the new menu.  She insisted fleetwide all ships have the same (old) menu.  I just smiled and thanked her, knowing she didn't have a clue that Rotterdam has a new menu.  We ate from the old menu and were charged $19 plus service charge, minus mariner discount.

Also - at Grand Dutch Cafe the larger chocolate chip cookies were the size of anything you'd see on the Lido.

Sue/WDW1972

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wdw1972 said:

I just got off Nieuw Statendam today and asked the manager about the new menu.  She insisted fleetwide all ships have the same (old) menu.  I just smiled and thanked her, knowing she didn't have a clue that Rotterdam has a new menu.  We ate from the old menu and were charged $19 plus service charge, minus mariner discount.

Also - at Grand Dutch Cafe the larger chocolate chip cookies were the size of anything you'd see on the Lido.

Sue/WDW1972

Thanks for the feedback.  Sad to see the chocolate chip cookies shrinkage.

11 hours ago, Crew News said:

12 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Sue/WDW1972

We boarded NS yesterday and spoke to a server in Canaletto this morning who said they were just informed that the new menu is in the works but weren't told a roll out date yet but she said the corporate chef is now aboard this ship training the staff on how to prepare the new dishes. 

So it is coming soon to a Canaletto near you too!  But for now the Rotterdam is the only ship in the fleet with the new menu.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Sue/WDW1972

14 hours ago, Crew News said:

I'm in my "early discovery" process of HAL. I'm a big chocolate chip cookie fan - assuming that it's something special.

Are the cookies there (aside from the size) something not to miss (different than in the buffet)? Do they charge for them?

Also - do they make milkshakes there (and are those included with a beverage package)?

🙂

THANKS

1 minute ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'm in my "early discovery" process of HAL. I'm a big chocolate chip cookie fan - assuming that it's something special.

Are the cookies there (aside from the size) something not to miss (different than in the buffet)? Do they charge for them?

Also - do they make milkshakes there (and are those included with a beverage package)?

🙂

THANKS

They're different than anything served in the Lido, and much better tasting.  They're more like a real home backed chocolate chip cookie vs mass produced buffet line cookie.  Not sure about milkshakes - I never saw anyone at Grand Dutch Cafe with a milkshake.  The food is complimentary.

Sue

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

🙂

THANKS

The Grand Dutch Cafe chocolate chip cookies used to be larger in circumference than my hand and so soft that they could not be held in two fingers without falling apart.  Definitely made with delicious butter and chocolate chips.  Each cookie would last me two days.  If they are now smaller, I might consume one or more per day.

The almond cookies, with a bit of almond butter filling, are another of my favorites for daily consumption.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_0319-Edit.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_0322-Edit.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

The Grand Dutch Cafe chocolate chip cookies used to be larger in circumference than my hand and so soft that they could not be held in two fingers without falling apart.  Definitely made with delicious butter and chocolate chips.  Each cookie would last me two days.  If they are now smaller, I might consume one or more per day.

The almond cookies, with a bit of almond butter filling, are another of my favorites for daily consumption.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_0319-Edit.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_0322-Edit.jpg

That definitely does not look like a buffet choc chip cookie! The buffet cookies all look and taste like they're made from frozen dough, which they probably are. 

• Like 1

We are on the Rotterdam now, having embarked on March 8th we have eaten twice in Canaletto and going back tonight 

the maitre d told us the other night there would still be a special every night.  We’ll see tonight if it is different from last time 

the osso bucco is on the menu every night.  I did hear two of the waiters mentioning that some passengers were upset there is not a soup on the menu any longer 

• Like 1