Decent coffee at breakfast on the Sun

readingfast

We are on the Alaska cruise in May and plan to have breakfast in the buffet. We both like strong, decent, decaffeinated coffee, (Americano).  We never drink any special coffees.  Any tips on getting it there or, can we get a waiter to deliver it from Starbucks and have it charged?  Also cannot  seem to find the cost of a  Starbucks black decaff. Americano anywhere. Can anyone help?

Thanks

I know food/drink is subjective, but I would also like to know as I will be on the Sun for 20 days next month.  I've had a couple of different experiences Epic/good, Getaway/BAD! Yikes that coffee was awful.  Just to be clear, I am not referring to Starbucks, just the standard fare available in the dining rooms.  Oh, and I do not drink decaf, LOL!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, readingfast said:

We are on the Alaska cruise in May and plan to have breakfast in the buffet. We both like strong, decent, decaffeinated coffee, (Americano).  We never drink any special coffees.  Any tips on getting it there or, can we get a waiter to deliver it from Starbucks and have it charged?  Also cannot  seem to find the cost of a  Starbucks black decaff. Americano anywhere. Can anyone help?

If you are a coffee drinker, you are not going to like the coffee they serve in the main dining room or buffet, Its horrible. I was on the Prima last November and bought coffee from Starbucks everyday, 2 cups of dark roast Verona was around $7.56, thats including a 20% service charge. Also be aware that the main dining room sells a Starbucks coffee, but not the same thing you get at the Starbucks counter.

I had a coffee pot delivered to my cabin and used the packet of coffee for the machine and I was fine. My daughter was too lazy to do the same and did not like the dinning room coffee and would stop and get a cup from Starbucks on way to breakfast. We never did the Buffett so not sure how it was. In the past my husband would get some from Buffett later in the day. This was all on the breakaway.

Edited by cruisinmeme

I would rate the NCL coffee overall as tolerable.  I only drink 2 large cups (4 "regular" cups) in the morning.  It does vary somewhat from ship to ship.  But coffee quality depends on the cleaning of the maker, and removing the build up that accumulates on the interior.  So it all depends.

If you are a frequent traveler, NCL coffee (overall) is on par with Hilton hotels freebies.

I also sailed once on Princess last year, and theirs was not as good, and certainly much harder to obtain, with only 2 makers in the large buffet (which tended to break often).  They obviously wanted you at Starbucks.  Only advantage was larger cups.

I have seen waiters with coffee in the buffet area in the morning, but very limited, and generally for re-fills.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, step78 said:

There are "coffeewaiters" for the breakfast, serving Coffee in cups. Seen on escape and epic last year.

Yeah, and there are bar waiters. But neither are going to run down to Starbucks if you are too lazy. 

Personally, I never waste my money on the tremendously over priced Starbucks. In case of emergency, maybe a McDonalds, 7-11 or Wawa coffee. 

I can’t see paying $7.56 for a cup of coffee. It is a gimmick for the brainwashed masses. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Yeah, and there are bar waiters. But neither are going to run down to Starbucks if you are too lazy

Personally, I never waste my money on the tremendously over priced Starbucks. In case of emergency, maybe a McDonalds, 7-11 or Wawa coffee. 

I can’t see paying $7.56 for a cup of coffee. It is a gimmick for the brainwashed masses. 

Are you being intentionally offensive here, or are you unaware of how your comments come across?

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Yeah, and there are bar waiters. But neither are going to run down to Starbucks if you are too lazy. 

Agreed. Again, taste is extremely subjective, but I find Starbucks' coffee to be absolutely vile. But that company is good for one thing: profits. I've seen them come into properties where businesses failed and they've done incredibly well. (I'm more a fan of Italian espresso/cappuccino and theirs isn't to my taste)