Alaska - Forward Facing Cabin

caravellov1

Looking at an Alaskan Cruise at the end of February. Has anyone booked a forward-facing cabin? Is it too windy to enjoy? Either doing Seattle round trip (Royal) or Whittier to Vancouver (Majestic). Would also like to hear your opinion of both.

I'm doing a front facing next September for Alaska and I think for glacier viewing it will be wonderful. I did one for Hawaii and one for Mexico.  Only 1 day on the way back from Hawaii was I unable to use it.  It is windy but if you sit, the balcony rail blocks most of the wind.  

One of our favourite cabins, if we can’t book a mini suite, is the deluxe obstructed cabins on Lido deck.  We usually try for L101 because the balcony is wider and longer by a lot!  Love the location.  However, it does get windy at sea and you do feel the motion of the ocean in that location.  None of these bother us in the least. Also, you do have to close your curtains in the evening in order not to interfere with the navigation on the bridge.

For Alaska, your view will be breathtaking, exactly the same view as the captain!  I have to ask what month you’re sailing, because I highly doubt it’s February!  

Sorry, but our Alaska cruises were not with Princess, but I’m sure there are members here who can address this part of your question.

Enjoy Alaska!

• Like 1

This topic was covered recently. You can query the search box, but will answer you here too.

Alaskan cruises start in May.

We have stayed in a forward facing (obstructed view) cabin on the Royal's sister Regal (L104). It was a metal, not glass railing, for person of average height, it is not a problem. It is asked not to open the door while the ship is moving, also to draw the drapes at night because of the light to the bridge below. We would not book this type of cabin again, though it was a big cabin and a good price. We just don't like mega-ships.

That said, the Majestic has some different than the usual eateries for Princess, leaning toward Asian food. You post about the Oasis, so if you enjoy things mega-ships offer, you will enjoy either.

We prefer nature viewing in Alaska, so on Princess, we look for Alaska sailings on the Sapphire, then  Coral, Grand a third choice. If you just want to hang out in the buffet, ( Not judging, some do.) then the Royal Class ships would be a better choice.

Edited by mtnesterz

42 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

One of our favourite cabins, if we can’t book a mini suite, is the deluxe obstructed cabins on Lido deck.  We usually try for L101 because the balcony is wider and longer by a lot!  Love the location.  However, it does get windy at sea and you do feel the motion of the ocean in that location.  None of these bother us in the least. Also, you do have to close your curtains in the evening in order not to interfere with the navigation on the bridge.

For Alaska, your view will be breathtaking, exactly the same view as the captain!  I have to ask what month you’re sailing, because I highly doubt it’s February!  

Sorry, but our Alaska cruises were not with Princess, but I’m sure there are members here who can address this part of your question.

Enjoy Alaska!

My bad.  We are planning on sailing in August. Not sure where I got February from. How bad is the motion? 

14 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

This topic was covered recently. You can query the search box, but will answer you here too.

Alaskan cruises start in May.

We have stayed in a forward facing (obstructed view) cabin on the Royal's sister Regal (L104). It was a metal, not glass railing, for person of average height, it is not a problem. It is asked not to open the door while the ship is moving, also to draw the drapes at night because of the light to the bridge below. We would not book this type of cabin again, though it was a big cabin and a good price. We just don't like mega-ships.

That said, the Majestic has some different than the usual eateries for Princess, leaning toward Asian food. You post about the Oasis, so if you enjoy things mega-ships offer, you will enjoy either.

We prefer nature viewing in Alaska, so on Princess, we look for Alaska sailings on the Sapphire, then  Coral, Grand a third choice. If you just want to hang out in the buffet, ( Not judging, some do.) then the Royal Class ships would be a better choice.

Thanks for replying. Something to consider. 

48 minutes ago, caravellov1 said:

My bad.  We are planning on sailing in August. Not sure where I got February from. How bad is the motion? 

For us, not bad at all because we’re very used to motion on cruiseships.  However, if you’re sensitive to motion it may be an issue.  The Pacific Ocean can be tough at times.  Only you know how effected you are by motion.  Also, you could use meds to help you.

Honestly, the views are magnificent from these balconies and you get a nice little love seat with an ottoman/coffee table that you don’t get in a standard balcony.

1 hour ago, caravellov1 said:

I sailed on the Majestic in Aug of '21 in Marina 102. As others have said, they are great balconies.

But for Alaska, these are the best choices, IMO. For most of your cruise, you will be in the Inside Passage and it will be slow going and nearly smooth as glass. The views from your balcony at the front of the ship are second to none.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caravellov1 said:

How bad is the motion? 

Depends on the sea. Practically unnoticable in calm. We've been in an Alaska storm and seen waves up to the window on deck 5. Whether the RCL Oasis, or the upcoming Disney ship, what was to be the Global Dream, any ship is a child's toy compared to the power of the sea. We tend to forget that when we cruise, but it is so.

We always bring an antihistamine, such as Benadryl, (diphenhydramine.) It takes little space, but answers for several issues, seasickness, hypersensitive reaction to sunburn, dermatitis, allergies and as a sleep aid. 

Edited by mtnesterz

I love the forward facing staterooms, but I’d be nervous to get one on an AK cruise because of the motion. On the one way Voyage of the Glaciers cruise, there’s one day of rough seas, and on the roundtrip cruise, there’s motion, I’ve heard. The glacier viewing would be spectacular, and you wouldn’t have to fight the crowds on deck, but if you’re prone to motion sickness, it might not be a good idea.  

We were in a forward facing cabin on the Regal (Lido deck). We are not bothered by ship motion; could open the door at anytime (even while moving). The drapes must be closed at night to prevent light interfering with the Bridge.

The only negative is the railing is metal and only tall basketball players might be able to see out while sitting. Another CC person suggested stacking two deck chairs together to raise you up.

Our next door neighbors had "installed" a hammock on the hardware of the balcony dividers.