Cruising with ChatGPT.

Have been playing around with this ChatGPT . It is very interesting and could be quite helpful when searching for info on the Internet - always remembering of course that you are getting advice from an anonymous machine. . But the advice may be better than we get from anonymous humans on the Internet . You can ask it anything you like and refine your conversation as you go along. You can see my short conversation below. 

"Where can I cruise to from the port of Tilbury london"

The port of Tilbury is located on the River Thames in Essex, England, and offers a variety of cruise destinations. Here are some of the popular cruise destinations you can visit from the port of Tilbury:

1. Northern Europe: You can embark on a cruise to explore the beautiful cities and stunning scenery of Northern Europe, including the Norwegian Fjords, Iceland, the Baltic States, and Scandinavia.

2. Mediterranean: You can take a Mediterranean cruise from Tilbury and explore the historic cities of Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Greece, as well as the stunning islands of the Mediterranean.

3. British Isles: A cruise around the British Isles is another popular option, where you can visit charming towns and historic landmarks, including the Scottish Highlands, the Isles of Scilly, and the Isle of Man.

4. Canary Islands: You can also set sail from Tilbury to explore the sun-soaked Canary Islands off the coast of Africa, with stops in Tenerife, Gran Canaria, and Lanzarote.

5. Transatlantic: For a truly epic adventure, you can embark on a transatlantic cruise from Tilbury to New York or other destinations in North America, such as Canada or the Caribbean.

These are just a few of the many cruise destinations you can visit from the port of Tilbury. It's always a good idea to consult with a travel agent or cruise line for specific itineraries and availability.

"When can I sail to the Canary Islands from Tilbury"

Cruises to the Canary Islands from Tilbury typically operate during the winter months, which is the peak season for cruising in this region. Specifically, most Canary Islands cruises from Tilbury run between November and March, when the weather in the Canary Islands is warm and sunny, making it an ideal winter escape for many travelers.

It's worth noting that the exact dates and itineraries of Canary Islands cruises from Tilbury may vary from year to year and depend on the cruise line you choose. It's always a good idea to check with your preferred cruise line or a travel agent to confirm the sailing dates and availability for your desired time frame. Additionally, it's a good idea to book your cruise early, as popular sailings tend to fill up quickly.

• Like 3

ChatGPT is surprisingly good.  I've been using it a lot at work for copywriting as it gives me a pretty good basis from which to be able to edit and make specific to my needs.  It writes a lot of my emails now and has helped in overcoming that initial writers block.  I'll even be using it to write a submission on a community consultation for rezoning!

I think it could easily be used by independent travel agents wanting to develop copy for their brochures etc on what to expect.  It needs a critical eye over it to check the facts, but in essence it's got value.

3 hours ago, RobinBancs said:

in essence it's got value.

It works for me as an idea generator. Also as a search engine to use before the specifics offered by Google ( bearing in mind that Google Search mostly points us towards websites that are most financially advantageous for Google !! 🙂.

Edited by bazzaw
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think it could really revolutionize vacation planning. It is making it SO easy for me as I'm resaerching excursions for a cruise with my mom, who walks with a cane and recently had knee surgery. This was my prompt, the response, and me verifying the information and the second response. This is incredible.

PROMPT: Give me 5 options for excursions from the port of palma, spain, that return by 5 p.m. and are conducive to limited mobility. The excursions should cost less than 150 US dollars or euros per person. Include options for flamenco shows, wine tasting, and old cathedrals or historic sites. On October 4, 2023.

Sure! Here are 5 excursion options from the port of Palma, Spain, that return by 5 p.m. and are suitable for limited mobility. I've also included options for flamenco shows, wine tasting, and old cathedrals or historic sites, all of which cost less than 150 US dollars or euros per person, based on current prices.

1. Palma Old Town Walking Tour with Cathedral Visit: Explore the charming old town of Palma, with its narrow streets, traditional architecture, and historic landmarks. Your guide will take you to the city's iconic cathedral, La Seu, and share fascinating stories about its history and architecture. This tour costs approximately 50 US dollars per person and lasts for 3 hours.

2. Wine Tasting Tour in Mallorca: Visit a local winery and learn about the production process of Mallorcan wines. You'll also have the opportunity to taste some of the best wines of the region and enjoy a light snack. The tour includes transportation and costs approximately 75 US dollars per person. The duration of the tour is around 4 hours.

3. Flamenco Show in Palma: Experience the passion and energy of traditional Spanish flamenco with a show in the heart of Palma. You'll be treated to live music, dancing, and singing, all performed by talented local artists. This tour lasts for 2 hours and costs approximately 40 US dollars per person.

4. Valldemossa and Deia Half-Day Tour: Explore the picturesque villages of Valldemossa and Deia, known for their beautiful architecture, stunning views, and rich cultural heritage. You'll also visit the historic Carthusian Monastery and learn about the life of the famous composer Frederic Chopin. This tour lasts for 4 hours and costs approximately 95 US dollars per person.

5. Soller Train and Tram Tour: Take a scenic train and tram ride to the charming town of Soller, located in the heart of the Tramuntana Mountains. Along the way, you'll enjoy breathtaking views of the countryside and coast, as well as a glimpse into Mallorca's history and culture. This tour lasts for 5 hours and costs approximately 70 US dollars per person.

Note that availability and pricing may vary depending on the exact date and time of your visit. It's always a good idea to confirm the details with the tour operator or travel agent before booking.

PROMPT 2:
Review these results to ensure they are for mild activity levels.

Sure! Based on the information provided, all of the excursions I suggested can be considered suitable for mild activity levels and limited mobility.

The Palma Old Town Walking Tour with Cathedral Visit involves walking around the historic center of Palma, but the pace is moderate and there are frequent stops to rest and admire the sights. The tour is also relatively short (3 hours), so it shouldn't be too strenuous.

The Wine Tasting Tour in Mallorca also doesn't involve a lot of physical activity, as it mainly consists of sampling local wines and enjoying a light snack. The transportation provided is also comfortable and should be accessible for limited mobility.

The Flamenco Show in Palma is a seated event, so it doesn't require any physical exertion. However, guests may need to walk a short distance to the venue, depending on their mode of transportation.

The Valldemossa and Deia Half-Day Tour involves some walking, as guests will be exploring the villages and visiting the Carthusian Monastery. However, the pace is leisurely and there are opportunities to rest along the way. The tour also lasts for only 4 hours, which is a manageable length of time.

The Soller Train and Tram Tour requires some walking to get to and from the train station, as well as to explore the town of Soller. However, the train and tram rides are gentle and scenic, and there are plenty of opportunities to sit and rest during the tour.

Overall, all of the excursions I suggested should be suitable for mild activity levels and limited mobility, but it's always a good idea to check with the tour operator or travel agent to confirm any specific concerns or requirements.

we humans are a stupid breed on this planet

robots doing the work of humans

how does a human expect to make a living and home for his family in the future when you chat robots doing the work

33 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

how does a human expect to make a living and home for his family in the future when you chat robots doing the work

I wonder if our parents said the same thing when electric lights, ovens, washing machines, dishwashers, cars, microwaves and computers were invented. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Yeah I guess the guys who used to hand-copy manuscripts with quills were a bit annoyed by the printing press too. 

As a writer I'm excited by the opportunities that chat gpt represents 

• Like 2

Just now, Pushka said:

I wonder if our parents said the same thing when washing machines, dishwashers, cars, microwaves and computers were invented. 

seriously there is already places   that dont employ humans and the only time these places see humans is the office staff , maintenance  and the truck drivers

There is 3 cold storage places in Derrimut, Victoria   that are like this

trucks back up to dock robotic forky  takes load off truck  then another robot  stores it  in the shelves  and re picks and then robotic forky puts back on truck

this place only sees about 6 humans and the truck drivers

Think about how clever we are getting for our own good 

look at coles and woolworths,   who would have thought ya could get rid of the checkout person , when you can get the customers to checkout there goods for free saving these coles and Woolworth ceo's money .   

Some coles and woolies stores dont have checkout people anymore , they rely on you going through the self serve checkouts under camera  and 1 person 

its the way we are headed

Just now, lissie said:

Yeah I guess the guys who used to hand-copy manuscripts with quills were a bit annoyed by the printing press too. 

its impressive stuff , but we are doing ourselves out of jobs 

if your not highly skilled in the future what hope do you have 

Just now, ozdevil said:

We've always done ourselves out of jobs. How many lamp lighters are employed or "knocker -upers" or butlers or ladys maids , horse grooms or black smiths.  I've never employed an accountant because I use software to deal with my taxes for example. 

There will always be a quest for knowledge, and there will always be a need for information at your fingertips. They are vastly different learnings. Britannica becomes google becomes hey Google/Alexa/Siri becomes chatGPT, always on hand for instant response as long as you ask the right question.

I get that repetitive manual jobs are replaced by machines, but we need to be careful about getting machines to do our thinking on our behalf. Especially dangerous when you don't know if information (i.e. forum post) is coming 2nd hand via a bot generating a consensus answer or from a personal response from a respected source. Currently it is not much more than a copy/paste bot, but over time it will be impossible to tell the difference.

If I think of a question like - what is the best ship to cruise from Sydney on, how long will it be until sponsored content taints the answer? It already happens that google inserts sponsored results above what you were really searching for, and there will be a gold rush of corporates generating their own favourable content for GPT fodder.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Very similar reactions in our family who likewise has an author. Using ChatGPT for so many ideas. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ozdevil said:

You are saying the same things that the Abbey monks said when the printing press was invented! 

10 hours ago, ozdevil said:

seriously there is already places   that dont employ humans and the only time these places see humans is the office staff , maintenance  and the truck drivers

There is 3 cold storage places in Derrimut, Victoria   that are like this

trucks back up to dock robotic forky  takes load off truck  then another robot  stores it  in the shelves  and re picks and then robotic forky puts back on truck

this place only sees about 6 humans and the truck drivers

Think about how clever we are getting for our own good 

look at coles and woolworths,   who would have thought ya could get rid of the checkout person , when you can get the customers to checkout there goods for free saving these coles and Woolworth ceo's money .   

Some coles and woolies stores dont have checkout people anymore , they rely on you going through the self serve checkouts under camera  and 1 person 

its the way we are headed

This is why food is so cheap and plentiful. 

10 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Very poor future indeed - but that has always been the case for the uneducated and unskilled. It will be even worse in the future and all the more reason for people to use the brains that they have been given - and not to assume that the good times we here in Australia have experienced since the end of WW2 will continue if unearned. 

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

If I think of a question like - what is the best ship to cruise from Sydney on, 

No computer bot will be able to answer this question - because you have not defined what criteria is "best". 

9 hours ago, Pushka said:

Very similar reactions in our family who likewise has an author. Using ChatGPT for so many ideas. 

This is what I consider ChatGPT to be excellent as - an ideas generator. The biggest problem we humans have is that we do not know what we don't know.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

There will always be a place for unique skill and talent.  I just bought a beautiful hand made wooden bench with a parquetry top.

I love the smell and feel of new books.  No kindle for me!

I also love the smell and feel of books - but I don't like their weight and bulk. Kindle for me! 

15 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

No computer bot will be able to answer this question - because you have not defined what criteria is "best". 

As an AI language model, I do not have access to real-time information, including the latest updates on cruise ships or their availability. Additionally, the "best" cruise ship can vary depending on individual preferences, interests, and budget. However, I can provide some general information about popular cruise ships that sail from Sydney, Australia.

1. Royal Caribbean's Ovation of the Seas: This is a large, modern cruise ship with a wide range of amenities, including multiple dining options, swimming pools, rock climbing wall, bumper cars, and a skydiving simulator.

2. Princess Cruises' Majestic Princess: This is a luxurious cruise ship with a sophisticated ambiance, featuring a variety of dining options, an adults-only retreat, a large atrium with entertainment, and a wide range of activities and amenities.

3. Carnival Cruise Line's Carnival Splendor: This is a fun and vibrant cruise ship with a lively atmosphere, offering a variety of dining options, live entertainment, water slides, mini golf, and a range of activities for families and couples alike.

4. Celebrity Cruises' Celebrity Solstice: This is a premium cruise ship known for its elegant design, sophisticated ambiance, and exceptional dining options. It features a real grass lawn, a solarium with indoor pool, and a range of activities and amenities for adults.

5. P&O Cruises' Pacific Explorer: This is a family-friendly cruise ship with a relaxed and casual vibe, offering multiple dining options, swimming pools, waterslides, a theater, and a range of activities for all ages.

It's important to research and compare different cruise ships based on your specific preferences and needs, including itinerary, cruise duration, onboard amenities, and budget. It's also recommended to check the latest updates from cruise lines and follow any travel advisories or guidelines issued by relevant authorities before booking a cruise, as the availability and operations of cruise ships can change due to various factors, such as global events, weather conditions, and health and safety protocols.

2 hours ago, lissie said:

As an AI language model, I do not have access to real-time information, including the latest updates on cruise ships or their availability. Additionally, the "best" cruise ship can vary depending on individual preferences, interests, and budget. However, I can provide some general information about popular cruise ships that sail from Sydney, Australia.

1. Royal Caribbean's Ovation of the Seas: This is a large, modern cruise ship with a wide range of amenities, including multiple dining options, swimming pools, rock climbing wall, bumper cars, and a skydiving simulator.

2. Princess Cruises' Majestic Princess: This is a luxurious cruise ship with a sophisticated ambiance, featuring a variety of dining options, an adults-only retreat, a large atrium with entertainment, and a wide range of activities and amenities.

3. Carnival Cruise Line's Carnival Splendor: This is a fun and vibrant cruise ship with a lively atmosphere, offering a variety of dining options, live entertainment, water slides, mini golf, and a range of activities for families and couples alike.

4. Celebrity Cruises' Celebrity Solstice: This is a premium cruise ship known for its elegant design, sophisticated ambiance, and exceptional dining options. It features a real grass lawn, a solarium with indoor pool, and a range of activities and amenities for adults.

5. P&O Cruises' Pacific Explorer: This is a family-friendly cruise ship with a relaxed and casual vibe, offering multiple dining options, swimming pools, waterslides, a theater, and a range of activities for all ages.

It's important to research and compare different cruise ships based on your specific preferences and needs, including itinerary, cruise duration, onboard amenities, and budget. It's also recommended to check the latest updates from cruise lines and follow any travel advisories or guidelines issued by relevant authorities before booking a cruise, as the availability and operations of cruise ships can change due to various factors, such as global events, weather conditions, and health and safety protocols.

I was going to say all that but it appears that the bot has pre-empted me 😞 HE is very clever! 

He has done a very good job of assessing all those female ships. 

16 hours ago, Pushka said:

I wonder if our parents said the same thing when electric lights, ovens, washing machines, dishwashers, cars, microwaves and computers were invented. 

I can hear it now, "a wheel, what's a wheel? That won't get you anywhere."🙄

Edited by lyndarra
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, arxcards said:

..... how long will it be until sponsored content taints the answer? ...... there will be a gold rush of corporates generating their own favourable content for GPT fodder.

This was my first thought. In a world of internet influencers & a commercial advantage in pushing your brand, coupled with a severe decline in critical thinking, who knows where this will take the world??

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lissie said:

My point is that is todays answer, based on available web content, much of which reads like cruise line brochures or travel agent  sell, often one of the same. A solid answer, except Solstice hasn't cruised here since early 2020. If we start to copy/paste the same sort of responses for a forum question, we start to lose a unique perspective we have gained from experience, or the unique perspective of another traveller/cruiser.

I wonder where the "luxurious" description came from for Majestic. Compared across all the available ships, that is not a stand-out descriptor. Now if Princess were to start calling Majestic the best ship in their literature, when do the bots change luxurious to best?

It would take a rainy day for me, but an idea would be to copy some of the questions asked here recently, and see how the bot response compares. Things like a hotel close to Brisbane's cruise terminal. I wonder if the bot screens Cruise Critic for answers, as google certainly does, or whether chatGBT replaces the need for asking questions here.

Edited by arxcards

23 minutes ago, mr walker said:

This was my first thought. In a world of internet influencers & a commercial advantage in pushing your brand, coupled with a severe decline in critical thinking, who knows where this will take the world??

Yes. Already muddied.

Cruise line A gives "Influencer" B a free cruise. In order to keep getting free cruises, "Influencer" B puts content on blogs, youtube, instagram etc. These reviews are generally truthful but not the whole truth, as anything they are unhappy with is omitted from the review - no more free cruises if you express any negatives.

This influencer content is already all over the web, free of most negatives. Value for money is a major consideration when choosing a cruise, and getting them for nothing also removes a large chunk of credibility from the content.

At restart last May, the two most prominent influencer voices in this country had done less than 5 cruises between them, and included info on how nice a ship was based on having lunch and a ship tour in port. Yes, these are the people that are laying crumbs for the bots, and you will need even more critical thinking to sort the chaff from the hay.

• Like 1