Azamara Pursuit Rio to Lisbon 3/7-23

Mackdogmolly

I’m starting this thread in the hopes that others on this cruise will pile on with their photos and comments as well.

Our trip has unfortunately gotten off to a rocky start. We were scheduled to fly from Boston to JFK on Jet Blue last evening, connecting with an AA direct flight to Rio. Our original Boston flight was canceled preemptively on Friday because of expected snow, which didn’t really materialize. They rebooked us on a  later flight, which was delayed. As a result, 15 of us narrowly missed the connection. It took forever to rebook all of us and the best Andrew and I could get is an indirect flight late tonight via São Paulo, arriving in Rio at 4:20 pm on Monday. So we will miss our scheduled Rio tour, but at least we won’t miss the boat! So there’s that!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I’m starting this thread in the hopes that others on this cruise will pile on with their photos and comments as well.

Our trip has unfortunately gotten off to a rocky start. We were scheduled to fly from Boston to JFK on Jet Blue last evening, connecting with an AA direct flight to Rio. Our original Boston flight was canceled preemptively on Friday because of expected snow, which didn’t really materialize. They rebooked us on a  later flight, which was delayed. As a result, 15 of us narrowly missed the connection. It took forever to rebook all of us and the best Andrew and I could get is an indirect flight late tonight via São Paulo, arriving in Rio at 4:20 pm on Monday. So we will miss our scheduled Rio tour, but at least we won’t miss the boat! So there’s that!

I am sorry to hear about your flights. It is becoming more and more difficult to rely on any airline. 
I wish you a very good cruise. Looking forward to your posts.

Ivi

• Like 2

The problem with flights out of Logan often begins with getting the plane INTO Logan. We love Jet Blue, in spite of making it from Tahiti to JFK, on Ait Tahiti Nui,  without incident, only to spend two days at JFK trying to get back to BOS due to an ice storm.  The high winds we had yesterday no doubt prevented many flights from leaving. We got a light dusting SW of Boston, while other areas were covered with the damn white stuff.

We are flying TAP on the 20th BOS to Lisbon, spending a few days exploring the area and then onto the Pursuit on the 23rd.

Safe travels

Darcy

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WatchHill said:

We are flying TAP on the 20th BOS to Lisbon, spending a few days exploring the area and then onto the Pursuit on the 23rd.

I wish you the best of luck 🤞! The other issue we had that held up both the debarking of the flight before ours and our departure, was a problem with attaching and then detaching the jetway!!

Looking forward to meeting you on the Pursuit Tuesday. So sorry to hear about the travel snafus, hope everything goes smoothly from now on!

We live in Portugal and have family in Brazil, so have been visiting family for the last weeks. Sad to say goodbye today to our loved ones but excited to get on the Pursuit and enjoy a wonderful cruise before getting back to beloved Portugal. 

if anyone wants to follow along live updates on the cruise, I will post on Instagram and here ( more photos on IG)

https://instagram.com/brazilgirl?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Cute Chloe, SIL’s dog, saying goodbye. We are arriving in Rio in 20 min!

8CB8F64F-DBFF-4FCE-B0D9-85E69F1EF05B.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

The joys of air travel!  At least you have a bit of a buffer and hopefully get to the ship. Enjoy the crossing!

Phil 

I always try to have a bit of a buffer, but going forward, may have to consider an even bigger buffer!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I always try to have a bit of a buffer, but going forward, may have to consider an even bigger buffer!!

Interesting thought. We are leaning the same way.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Especially during the winter months! And I am leaning towards avoiding Logan!

How would you do that?  Drive to JFK?  [Surely you aren't holding up Amtrak as more reliable than Logan??? 😅]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Especially during the winter months! And I am leaning towards avoiding Logan!

Well, just to your north there is an airport with a sterling reputation.

Granted you may have to connect at Pearson, but you will be able to buy some poutine and that will distract from any challenges you might encounter. 😀

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

How would you do that?  Drive to JFK?  [Surely you aren't holding up Amtrak as more reliable than Logan??? 😅]

No, that would be a nightmare! As @nordskisaid Montreal is always an option and you can park your car at a nearby hotel for a fairly reasonable price 

• Like 1

Anyone reading this for future travels I would just like to give a shout-out for a great tour guide Augusto Guimaraes in Rio de Janeiro. We have just spent the day with him in this wonderful city and much appreciated his knowledge of all things Brazilian. He is also extremely proficient in getting you through lines at breakneck speed making it possible to enjoy a delicious lunch and still get to see the major sights in a day without being totally frazzled at the end. 

Please consider him for any future visits. He is a great character and will make your visit to Rio very memorable.

gusguide@hotmail.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, we made it to São Paulo this morning after an uneventful flight, and our luggage made it too! We have rechecked for Rio, been through customs and security and now waiting patiently for our last flight. Can’t wait for a cool drink and a good night’s sleep!

• Like 9

We arrived in Rio on Saturday evening after 23 hours of travelling! No issues for us, thank goodness. Yesterday we had a great half day tour including Christ the Redeemer, a quick look at the Maracana stadium from the outside as well as the Metropolitan Cathedral. Really enjoyed it. Our guide also said that he could get us tickets to a game at the Maracana stadium later that day with the services of a guide and transport there and back. We took him up on his offer. It was terrific being with about 70,000 Brazilian fans. The atmosphere was wonderful - it was a game between 2 top sides both based in Rio - what an experience.

99405B12-80F0-42E1-BF19-EDD5FEEAC04B.thumb.jpeg.5b6b62276b735b516f19205f232d5148.jpeg
Ipanema beach at 7am yesterday morning.

6F49F9DD-6F25-4E0E-8017-6F7AE263D3FE.thumb.jpeg.a8bf258d1b4d88a8ab37ba3cc3f462c5.jpeg

It was very crowded at the top.

5B3F7A5F-2C41-40EE-B5A3-F32CFE6DA9D4.thumb.jpeg.74d55bacb14f7a31f2bb7df9705f1e9e.jpeg

View from the top.

76A8E874-3DAB-4023-8E14-503321063716.thumb.jpeg.8debef17a351efc1d2e912717918b96c.jpeg

Inside the Metropolitan Cathedral.

B6A10894-308B-4E31-9A41-C6DE4BA211F0.thumb.jpeg.d36a304968ec1f640d7d27bfb31586d5.jpegB6A10894-308B-4E31-9A41-C6DE4BA211F0.thumb.jpeg.d36a304968ec1f640d7d27bfb31586d5.jpeg
Selaron steps

3BD75BCB-2459-410A-9B2C-B687554E5A12.thumb.jpeg.cce7179f44f56991f21706d984481d2f.jpeg

Some of the wonderful art work in a little street close to the Selaron steps.

19F95A72-2913-4A16-9959-2821C637287E.thumb.jpeg.2d782e0c626ac11f2e3d516900adfcd8.jpeg

At the Maracana 

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

The atmosphere was wonderful - it was a game between 2 top sides both based in Rio - what an experience.

Ah , but was it as good as Liverpool and Manchester United yesterday Denise !! 😂

Edited by combine
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Charlies Aunt said:

Anyone reading this for future travels I would just like to give a shout-out for a great tour guide Augusto Guimaraes in Rio de Janeiro. We have just spent the day with him in this wonderful city and much appreciated his knowledge of all things Brazilian. He is also extremely proficient in getting you through lines at breakneck speed making it possible to enjoy a delicious lunch and still get to see the major sights in a day without being totally frazzled at the end. 

Please consider him for any future visits. He is a great character and will make your visit to Rio very memorable.

gusguide@hotmail.com

Yes! DW and I heartily endorse all that you’ve said. We had a really enjoyable day with an excellent, well organized and knowledgeable guide made even more enjoyable by sharing the day with you and our fellow Azamara passengers.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, combine said:

Ah , but was it as good as Liverpool and Manchester United yesterday Denise !! 😂

I’m not a football fan at all, but just couldn’t help enjoying the enthusiasm of the fans - they sang competing songs for most of the game, the noise was ferocious! 
Nick heard the Liverpool Man U score - our son-in-law, who’s a Liverpool fan, will be delighted.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Charlies Aunt said:

gusguide@hotmail.com

Hear hear. Gus was a phenomenal guide. He was a walking express pass. No lines for us. Looking forward to seeing you on board. 23 hours to go. 

• Like 2

We made it to our hotel in Rio yesterday around 5:30 pm after a very reasonable taxi ride from the airport. Wasted no time hitting the tiny rooftop pool bar, where we soon met up with 6 fellow Azamara cruisers. Had a jolly time sampling a local cocktail and then some of us headed to a nearby restaurant for some dinner. Called it an early ish night and finally got a good nights sleep!! Met up again for breakfast and then Andrew and I went shopping for the grandkids to get that out of the way! Can’t wait to get onboard!

75862AB2-4C35-4A4A-A3BB-03C9D9616A43.jpeg

7B937B41-17F7-4FDF-B323-C843E4668E27.jpeg

C85E6481-D496-4043-9036-B23F8023E41F.jpeg

068869EF-0A89-46DC-A626-6B7A300422D7.jpeg

42979C68-880A-443C-8543-F1069DF7F001.jpeg

• Like 9