Thoughts from Navigator (Day 3)

This is our first Regent cruise since the Radisson Diamond.  We booked a guarantee at the last minute, choosing this cruise as a replacement for a land trip booked many months ago to celebrate my husband's birthday.  I was hesitant about the older ship after reading reviews but decided to go with it.

I booked a guarantee and we were assigned a Penthouse.  Room is comfortable and nice size.  Balcony is small.  There are some annoyances, like an old sliding door that is a PITA to open and close, slow draining sink and shower, but service has made up for the shortcomings of the rooms.  We are also very fortunate to have minimal vibration in our stateroom.

Staff and service - for the most part - has been excellent.

Ship looks nice, considering her age and last refurbishment.  IMO, it feels more cozy and upscale than luxurious. 

The vibration I read about is very much present in certain parts of the ship.  Galileo's was vibrating so badly we left both times we stopped in for a drink.  We did not stay for tea yesterday.   Waters are very calm so that is not the issue.

There are no fitness classes all week as the guest instructor never made it on board.  The gym is very small and machines packed in.  Had to wait for a machine to become available.  The walking track is narrow and one has to navigate around lounge chairs to use it.  This is not a ship for those that are fitness oriented.

This cruise is almost at full occupancy and we can certainly feel it.   Embarkation was smooth and we were having lunch by 12:30.  That was fairly chaotic and quite crowded, and it took a while to find an empty table.  We are not buffet people and don't plan to try that again. 

Chair saving is in full force aboard.  By mid morning, there were more towels and books on chairs than people in them.

We have been unable to get into either of the two specialty restaurants on either night for dinner; both had a waitlist of ten plus suites at 8pm last night - they close at 9.  Upon arrival, there was no one to greet us and we stood there for quite some time before being told we could not be accommodated.  We are hoping to try both before the end of the cruise. 

We ended up at Compass Rose again last night - again standing there for quite some time before anyone came over to seat us -  and were seated at 8:30 at the only empty table in the dining room, the Captain's table.  Service was slow and food disappointing.  Part of our tablemate's order arrived when he had finished most of his meal.  My entree was lukewarm and we were not all served at mains at one time.

Today we are in Roatan and looking forward to some beach and swimming time.

To sum up our first two full days aboard, service in all but CR has been excellent.  Our stateroom is comfortable.   Food has been good but not memorable.  Our first excursion is today. 

• Like 3

@caviargalre: slow-draining in the bathroom - simply mention this to your room steward/ess and a plumber will be dispatched to handle it.

We always reserve Prime 7 in advance through our booking on Regent's website (can't remember how many months in advance that is) so booking 'last minute' could be why you could not get in last night(s).  Speak to the Maitre'd today to request a reservation for an upcoming date.  And for Sette Mare that does NOT take reservations - we find it's easy if you go @ 630pm when they first open.

19 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

@caviargalre: slow-draining in the bathroom - simply mention this to your room steward/ess and a plumber will be dispatched to handle it.

We always reserve Prime 7 in advance through our booking on Regent's website (can't remember how many months in advance that is) so booking 'last minute' could be why you could not get in last night(s).  Speak to the Maitre'd today to request a reservation for an upcoming date.  And for Sette Mare that does NOT take reservations - we find it's easy if you go @ 630pm when they first open.

We spoke with Maitre'd upon boarding to request Prime 7 on any night of the cruise.  We just received confirmation - along with our morning coffee - from our butler for this evening and look forward to it.

I am aware that Sette Mare does not take reservations - perhaps they should so that it is possible to get in.  

We are not early diners and a 6:30 time would not work for us.  We like to enjoy cocktails around 6:30 and dine at 8 or so.  Rushing our day to show up early would not be our idea of a vacation.

IMO the lack of dining options aboard this ship is the issue we are dealing with.  At high occupancy, it is insufficient.

Edited by caviargal

2 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Thanks for taking the time to give us a summary.  I will be interested to see how things progress.  We are on the Navigator in May, so your comments are pertinent for us!

Joanie

We are also on the same cruise with you in early May. We have already had several port times changed and today they cancelled the stop at  Fernandina beach and replaced it with Jacksonville (departing several hours earlier. Two weeks ago they delayed our arrival in Hamilton to 6:00PM. Since we depart at 5:00AM the next morning, there is really no reason for this stop. I’m not sure why our port times are being reduced and arrival times delayed.

Setti mare dining time  is a problem. If u don’t want to dine when it opens then you really have to wait until much later to get a table. We had that experience on both splendor and voyager

we don’t like to eat very late so we just opted for immediate seating at 630. 

I'd speak to your butler about Sette Mare.   Not that they can make you a reservation, but they can speak to the maitre'd to coordinate timing.   Our butlers have been able to do this for us at all venues including Compass Rose.   Some butlers have insisted to walk us to each dining venue, so that's when we coordinate the timing and venue.  The butler walking us down, was never something we asked for but have sometimes taken them up on their offers when made.   If you want drinks before dinner, let him know where you will be and they can come get you at the venue when a table frees as well.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bitob said:

Setti mare dining time  is a problem. If u don’t want to dine when it opens then you really have to wait until much later to get a table. We had that experience on both splendor and voyager

we don’t like to eat very late so we just opted for immediate seating at 630. 

The open at 6:30 and close at 9.  We arrived at 8:30.  Could not be very much later.  They are now opening at 6 on this sailing, hoping to alleviate this issue a bit.

Interesting to note that this is an issue on multiple ships.

Just now, Snore42 said:

I'd speak to your butler about Sette Mare.   Not that they can make you a reservation, but they can speak to the maitre'd to coordinate timing.   Our butlers have been able to do this for us at all venues including Compass Rose.   Some butlers have insisted to walk us to each dining venue, so that's when we coordinate the timing and venue.  The butler walking us down, was never something we asked for but have sometimes taken them up on their offers when made.   If you want drinks before dinner, let him know where you will be and they can come get you at the venue when a table frees as well.  

We did, thank you.  He was able to help us with Prime 7 but said he could not with the other venues. 

Find another butler?  Lol.   We stay in grand suite or higher, but I always thought all butlers regardless of room class offered the same service.  We've had this experience on multiple cruises and never requested the service, it was offered.  

1 hour ago, Steve Q said:

We are also on the same cruise with you in early May. We have already had several port times changed and today they cancelled the stop at  Fernandina beach and replaced it with Jacksonville (departing several hours earlier. Two weeks ago they delayed our arrival in Hamilton to 6:00PM. Since we depart at 5:00AM the next morning, there is really no reason for this stop. I’m not sure why our port times are being reduced and arrival times delayed.

We are also on that cruise.  I am also perplexed by the timings, expecially the Hamilton 6PM - 5AM - makes me ask - what are they thinking?  Many of the online port schedules show 1400 and 1500 arrivals - and no other ships in port?

• Like 2

We usually have a butler and they did not and we did not expect special treatment getting into no reservation venues.  We have never been in a grand suite however.  Doubt we will ever be in a grand suite. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yankeeclipper1 said:

We are also on that cruise.  I am also perplexed by the timings, expecially the Hamilton 6PM - 5AM - makes me ask - what are they thinking?  Many of the online port schedules show 1400 and 1500 arrivals - and no other ships in port?

I’m also on that cruise. That 5:00 am move is to a different part of the island—St. George’s. I’m not sure why we couldn’t get a day in Hamilton, but if we’re going to overnight in Bermuda, I much prefer it be in Hamilton, where we can wander straight off the ship into the heart of town for the evening, than in St Georges, which is a ghost town in the evening.

• Like 4

I am also on the Navigator now. After cruising on the Explorer and the Splendor this past year, I am also enjoying the Navigator. It is not as “glitzy” as the other two ships, but still nicely decorated and comfortable. The service has been wonderful, much more attentive than on the Splendor. Pool deck stewards are forever bringing cold drinks around, I had a difficult time getting one’s attention on the Splendor.

After day one, I have not had any problems obtaining a lounger on the pool deck, actually, many have been available at all times. 

I have dined in Compass Rose and Prime 7, and will dine in Setta Mari tonight. The food in CR was very good and my lobster in Prime 7 was delicious. Also, I found the service much better in the Navigator dining rooms than on either the Explorer or the Splendor. 
I miss Chartreuse and especially Pacific Rim, but other than that, I am really enjoying the Navigator.

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

I am also on the Navigator now. After cruising on the Explorer and the Splendor this past year, I am also enjoying the Navigator. It is not as “glitzy” as the other two ships, but still nicely decorated and comfortable. The service has been wonderful, much more attentive than on the Splendor. Pool deck stewards are forever bringing cold drinks around, I had a difficult time getting one’s attention on the Splendor.

After day one, I have not had any problems obtaining a lounger on the pool deck, actually, many have been available at all times. 

I have dined in Compass Rose and Prime 7, and will dine in Setta Mari tonight. The food in CR was very good and my lobster in Prime 7 was delicious. Also, I found the service much better in the Navigator dining rooms than on either the Explorer or the Splendor. 
I miss Chartreuse and especially Pacific Rim, but other than that, I am really enjoying the Navigator.

Thank you, that’s reassuring to hear.  We have our first Regent cruise booked on her in May (Miami to Montreal) and whilst expecting our Martinis to be shaken not stirred, can’t wait.

Regards

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LewiLewi said:

Order your favorite dishes from Chartreuse and Pacific Rim in Compass Rpse with 24 hours notice.  We always order lobster tempura.  They also have dishes from those two restaurants on the lunch menu in Compass Rose.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

This was our experience in Dec when we went from the Splendor to the Navigator. 

You can’t walk right into Seti Mare at the peak dinner times and be seated. It is too popular on most ships. So plan ahead a little and go get on the list about 7:30 and  then enjoy you bar time. They will call you when the table is ready 

• Like 3

On 3/8/2023 at 12:01 PM, Steve Q said:

I can think of a few reasons for all the recent iten. "adjustments" . a] the original planner was a lousy navigator b] new whale type speed restrictions [ doubt it Charleston to Hamilton crossing ]  c] engine room issue such as one diesel down thus reducing cruise speed  d] new idea how to lower vibration by adjusting RPMs down .....

On 3/8/2023 at 1:42 PM, Yankeeclipper1 said:

@Yankeeclipper1I am one of the lucky ones on this May 5th cruise, too.  As we have an overnight in Hamilton, I am hoping we have a “Dinner Under the Stars” evening up on the pool deck.  What a way to celebrate our last warm night before heading to Canada.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NCCruzQueen said:

@Yankeeclipper1I am one of the lucky ones on this May 5th cruise, too.  As we have an overnight in Hamilton, I am hoping we have a “Dinner Under the Stars” evening up on the pool deck.  What a way to celebrate our last warm night before heading to Canada.

Agree, also interesting places to dine in and around Hamilton. still curious , however , why slowing down [ see post 18  above ...but it is what it is !]

21 hours ago, doncarlos said:

I can think of a few reasons for all the recent iten. "adjustments" . a] the original planner was a lousy navigator b] new whale type speed restrictions [ doubt it Charleston to Hamilton crossing ]  c] engine room issue such as one diesel down thus reducing cruise speed  d] new idea how to lower vibration by adjusting RPMs down .....

We are on the upcoming 2 week Southern Carribean on Navigator leaving end of April. We received changes in port arrivals and departures 2 weeks ago, and although it didn’t substantially affect our plans (it pushed one excursion back a couple hours) I did wonder if it had something to do with an engine issue that will require substantial maintenance, or perhaps squeezing some diesel savings ($) from slower speed. In any case I’m hopeful there are no further surprises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arlopop said:

We are on the upcoming 2 week Southern Carribean on Navigator leaving end of April. We received changes in port arrivals and departures 2 weeks ago, and although it didn’t substantially affect our plans (it pushed one excursion back a couple hours) I did wonder if it had something to do with an engine issue that will require substantial maintenance, or perhaps squeezing some diesel savings ($) from slower speed. In any case I’m hopeful there are no further surprises.

We're on the same cruise, and I was also wondering about an engine issue. Our TA called us last week about the changes, which always delayed our arrival port later. We have an excursion in Grenada that starts at 2:30, and that's when we're now scheduled to arrive. I think most of the excursions were 2:30 or 3:00, and ours still was listed at 2:30 when I looked yesterday.

Based on our last Regent back to back cruises on Splendor starting last September, during the Queen's funeral, I don't expect destination services to make any plans with the tour providers to adjust the times. Just as on those Splendor cruises, I expect them to tell us that they're cancelled, with an envelope in our cabin, when we board. There will be big lines at destination services after that, and they will have nothing other than a map, and possibly a shuttle bus, to replace our excursions. And if we're even more unlucky, we won't find out until we look for our excursion bus to find that it's not there, or that it's going to someplace other than we expected it to go. We experienced all of that on Splendor and gave Regent our feedback on the poor service provided by destination services. We had many great cruises on Regent pre-Covid, without this type of problem. I hope they get they're act together since we travel to experience the destinations, and not to stay in a floating hotel.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 1:29 PM, cwn said:

This was our experience in Dec when we went from the Splendor to the Navigator. 

You can’t walk right into Seti Mare at the peak dinner times and be seated. It is too popular on most ships. So plan ahead a little and go get on the list about 7:30 and  then enjoy you bar time. They will call you when the table is ready 

Tried this twice, last night at 7:15 and the previous at 7pm.  They were not accepting waitlist for a table and we were advised we could not be accommodated any time that evening.