Covid Test

debbyma

20 minutes ago, debbyma said:

Does Oceania require a Covid test if you are vaccinated but not boosted?  I haven't been able to get a clear answer from a website or an agent.

In the U.S. Oceania no longer asks for a test or proof of vaccination.

7 hours ago, debbyma said:

Our embarkation ports are in Europe.  What does Oceania require there?

Firstly, you must understand that what Oceania requires is only one piece of the puzzle. On our current SYD-SYD-PPT cruise, while O and the country of Australia did not require Covid tests, the State of New South Wales did require it for cruise embarkation.

A lot of folks who didn’t heed O’s email reminding them to check local requirements (even though O had dropped its requirement) ended up needing to pay about $100 pp pier-side for a Rapid Antigen Test.

Admittedly, many of O’s Alert emails are poorly written. But, something like “follow local requirements” is pretty straightforward. 

On the lighter side: When someone on our Roll Call also pointed out the NSW test requirement for embark, one respondent answered something to the effect: “We don’t have to worry about that. We’re leaving from Sydney.” 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Chile changed the rules for entry two days before our boarding in Buenos Aires. Everyone entering the country must be vaccinated and boosted or have a negative test within 48 hours.

Oceania required everyone to either show their vaccination cards upon boarding or be tested at the dock since most were unaware of the new requirements before departure from the States. Some had foolishly left the cards at home believing they weren’t needed. 

The cost for the test , at the dock, at the dock was $100 each. They were again required to be tested before entry into Chile while aboard ship within 48 hours of Chilean entry. Cost aboard ship, $250.

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Chile changed the rules for entry two days before our boarding in Buenos Aires. Everyone entering the country must be vaccinated and boosted or have a negative test within 48 hours.

When was this? Recently?

On 3/8/2023 at 3:45 PM, debbyma said:

Does Oceania require a Covid test if you are vaccinated but not boosted?  I haven't been able to get a clear answer from a website or an agent.

It depends on the destination. We're going to Japan a month from today. Japan does NOT require proof of a Covid test to enter the country (IF you have a booster, otherwise you have to submit to Covid testing), but Oceania DOES require proof of a negative Covid test (within 3 days of embarkation) for embarkation. It's sort of a two-step process: entering the country is one thing, sailing is another.

32 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

It depends on the destination. We're going to Japan a month from today. Japan does NOT require proof of a Covid test to enter the country (IF you have a booster, otherwise you have to submit to Covid testing), but Oceania DOES require proof of a negative Covid test (within 3 days of embarkation) for embarkation. It's sort of a two-step process: entering the country is one thing, sailing is another.

Actually, it’s a three step process. You left out the requirement of a local/regional government (i.e., the equivalent of a State).

For example, we’re currently on a SYD-SYD-PPT Oceania cruise. O didn’t require a test for embarkation and Australia didn’t require a test for arrival at SYD. But, the State of NSW required one for cruise embarkations.

Despite O’s usual CYA statement/reminder that the passenger is responsible for meeting  the current govt. requirements, there was s long line of folks needing pierside RATs at approx. $100 pp.

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Actually, it’s a three step process. You left out the requirement of a local/regional government (i.e., the equivalent of a State).

For example, we’re currently on a SYD-SYD-PPT Oceania cruise. O didn’t require a test for embarkation and Australia didn’t require a test for arrival at SYD. But, the State of NSW required one for cruise embarkations.

Despite O’s usual CYA statement/reminder that the passenger is responsible for meeting  the current govt. requirements, there was s long line of folks needing pierside RATs at approx. $100 pp.

OK. We received an email from Oceania yesterday and there was no mention of a 3rd step. For us, it was just flying into Japan and then getting on the boat, nothing mentioned about a local or regional government requirement. It may depend on where the cruise sails from, I guess.

29 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

OK. We received an email from Oceania yesterday and there was no mention of a 3rd step. For us, it was just flying into Japan and then getting on the boat, nothing mentioned about a local or regional government requirement. It may depend on where the cruise sails from, I guess.

Interesting. Every embark reminder email I’ve ever received from O has one generic line buried in it reminding you that YOU are responsible for complying with ALL travel requirements/restrictions. This is in addition to statements like “O no longer requires tests” or specified restrictions notices like “arriving from China.”

You may want to reread the notice that was sent to you. It may have only specified the O and Japan status. But, I’m betting the generic CYA reminder was in there too.

Of course, even without seeing/heeding the Oceania CYA statement, it’s always best to review the website testing/visa/etc requirements/restrictions of cruise lines and air carriers PLUS transited and destination countries PLUS local authorities (particularly in port cities). 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

...Every embark reminder email I’ve ever received from O has one generic line buried in it reminding you that YOU are responsible for complying with ALL travel requirements/restrictions. ... it’s always best to review the website testing/visa/etc requirements/restrictions of cruise lines and air carriers PLUS transited and destination countries PLUS local authorities (particularly in port cities). 

I'd start with the US State Department and Embassy websites to see the current state of entry requirements. They are quite thorough and up to date. Sign up for updates. Enroll in the Smart Traveller Program. Etc.

When I flew from US to Asuncion, Paraguay via Sao Paulo, Brazil in April 2022, I made sure to follow the US State Department COVID requirements to the letter. They were accurate, even if sometimes local authorities didn't enforce them or care. The GOL airline employee in Sao Paolo, in poor English, wouldn't let a German family board because they'd failed to fill out some obscure Paraguayan Ministry of Health form in advance. They knew nothing about it but had all their other paperwork meticulously filled out and ready! US State Department web page had the form you could fill out and put on your cellphone. I showed her and him what he needed to do in line, so she passed him to me and I went thru it with him. They were the last to board AND he ended up having the seat next to mine! He told me he filled out the form, just making up stuff (so much of it was nonsense to begin with about where you'd be, when, etc.), but all the GOL employee needed to see was the form on his cellphone. She didn't read it. And, of course, when we landed, the locals didn't even ask to see it! So you never know who or when something will be enforced, but IF you do right ahead of time, you'll be prepared for anything!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Interesting. Every embark reminder email I’ve ever received from O has one generic line buried in it reminding you that YOU are responsible for complying with ALL travel requirements/restrictions. This is in addition to statements like “O no longer requires tests” or specified restrictions notices like “arriving from China.”

You may want to reread the notice that was sent to you. It may have only specified the O and Japan status. But, I’m betting the generic CYA reminder was in there too.

Of course, even without seeing/heeding the Oceania CYA statement, it’s always best to review the website testing/visa/etc requirements/restrictions of cruise lines and air carriers PLUS transited and destination countries PLUS local authorities (particularly in port cities). 

I don't need to re-read it, I read it thoroughly. Twice. And I then had my attorney wife read it. We didn't miss anything. What I have done in the past and will do again is revisit the State Dept's recommendations for Japan. Given how things have changed over the last 3 years, I have to keep checking in case any last minute changes are made. Oceania does recommend travel insurance, which we will definitely have. And there are other conditions for people traveling from or through China and Macau, but those don't apply to us since we're flying from the US to Japan via Canada. Someone from our Roll Call for next month posted a copy of the information we received.

Edited by DCGuy64
added link

and the self-test requirement is really insane and proves nothing...

Self-Testing
Antigen tests may be self-administered. Guests choosing to use a self-administered COVID-19 Antigen test must provide a timestamped photo showing:

·         The negative test result

·         The Antigen test packaging displaying the batch number

·         I.D. (e.g., passport)

2 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

and the self-test requirement is really insane and proves nothing...

Self-Testing
Antigen tests may be self-administered. Guests choosing to use a self-administered COVID-19 Antigen test must provide a timestamped photo showing:

·         The negative test result

·         The Antigen test packaging displaying the batch number

·         I.D. (e.g., passport)

Despite the obvious opportunity for someone with zero concern for public health to phony a self test, self testing is still preferred to no testing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Despite the obvious opportunity for someone with zero concern for public health to phony a self test, self testing is still preferred to no testing.

Agree, something is better than nothing. I'd like to believe most people wouldn't cheat. I certainly wouldn't.

Last two days here on Marina all crew has mandatory masking. The buffet lines in the Terrace has been wrapped up tight. Cruisers have been forced to ask for food again. No sticking one’s arm under the shield and pointing and grunting. Nothing can be touched by the passengers. This should always be the case imo.

Covid is rampant abroad. A healthy percentage of guests are now under mask. Lots in quarantine. Coughing and hacking so prevalent in public areas, many are just hiding in their cabins. The ship should have done mandatory Covid testing for all passengers several days ago to get this under control.

To address an above comment, I’ve repeatedly heard fellow passengers say” I’m not going to Medical and shell out $1000 and possibly be locked down for a week!”  Every time I read certain posters talking about Oceania’s sophisticated travelers it starts a gag complex. 

This cruise is missing a third port tomorrow. Lots of very unhappy cruisers. From responses, a lot more cruises are going to be cancelled after this cruise than have been booked aboard. The OCA hasn’t seen much business. The Captain flippantly cancelling ports has created some very strong ill feelings.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Last two days here on Marina all crew has mandatory masking. The buffet lines in the Terrace has been wrapped up tight. Cruisers have been forced to ask for food again. No sticking one’s arm under the shield and pointing and grunting. Nothing can be touched by the passengers. This should always be the case imo

I cannot tell you how many times I have put in the comment cards  that the glass in the serving stations in the Terrace should go all the way to the counter  so no arms or fingers can get to the food

too bad  about the covid onboard

On 3/9/2023 at 9:16 AM, pinotlover said:

Oceania required everyone to either show their vaccination cards upon boarding or be tested at the dock since most were unaware of the new requirements before departure from the States. Some had foolishly left the cards at home believing they weren’t needed. 

The cost for the test , at the dock, at the dock was $100 each. They were again required to be tested before entry into Chile while aboard ship within 48 hours of Chilean entry. Cost aboard ship, $250.

Where you on the Antarctic cruise that started in Chile?

57 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I cannot tell you how many times I have put in the comment cards  that the glass in the serving stations in the Terrace should go all the way to the counter  so no arms or fingers can get to the food

too bad  about the covid onboard

From what I have read Oceania does a great job compared to other buffets by serving you. We found the servers happy to help but sometimes it took a few moments if they were all helping someone.  I was really in no rush but I did see people grabbing. I think this is also a result of learned behavior when at a buffet.  Agree completely that adding full wraparound glass would be better to block this out completely.  Much healthier for all involved.  We don't cruise again for some time but if this is still the same I will remember to mention it when we go.

• Like 2

Surprised to read about the Covid onboard, too. News hasn't mentioned anything recently, and I just checked a website I relied on during the pandemic, don't see anything related to the countries being visited by the Marina at the moment.

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Surprised to read about the Covid onboard, too. News hasn't mentioned anything recently, and I just checked a website I relied on during the pandemic, don't see anything related to the countries being visited by the Marina at the moment.

Maybe they have not reached  the 2-3% of crew & pax infected  to warrant  a report to CDC & the news 🤔

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

20 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe they have not reached  the 2-3% of crew & pax infected  to warrant  a report to CDC & the news 🤔

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

There won't be any reports made to the CDC because this cruise isn't under US jurisdiction. It's a South America itinerary from Buenos Aires to Lima.

• Thanks 1