LIVE: Celebrity Eclipse March 10th - March 15th - Sydney (Australia)

xxpinksaltxx

4 hours ago, Norwaylady said:

@Ken the cruiser If they dock at Overseas passenger terminal, you can walk easy.

And if you have your stateroom on the "good" side of the ship. You will have a beautiful view to the Opera House!

We did a tour of the house. Really recommend if you have time. The house is quite special. 

+ 1 👍

I am also posting from the Eclipse but don’t want to hijack this thread.  

We have been to Sydney several times and Celebrity ships have always docked at the OPT, even the now departed Century.  Not only is the OPT within easy walking distance to the Opera House, it is also easy walking distance to the botanic gardens, the Rocks Discovery Center, Susanna Place museum, Museum of Modern Art, Police Museum, Governors House and a few other points of interest.  The Hyde Parks Barracks, Art Gallery of NSW and Australian Museum are a little farther away but also walkable for those mobile.

• Thanks 1

Glad that you all seem to have had a good start for this cruise. My wife and I were also booked on the Tassie cruise, our first break since covid. Alas, Thursday, the day before departure my wife tested positive foe covid with a PCR test. So had to cancel the cruise. Hoping to get reimbursed with full refund and/or credit for future.  Enjoy your trip, have heard Hobart is going to be a little chilly. Hope you have packed some woolies.

6 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Something tells me the OP's "Starlink" Basic internet package has issues logging onto CC. 

Very possibly: for me on Eclipse last week, basic internet, CC was unreadable on my phone - it looked like a style sheet was being blocked.

Edited by MelbTone

4 minutes ago, MelbTone said:

Very possibly: for me on Eclipse last week, basic internet, CC was unreadable on my phone - it looked like a style sheet was being blocked.

I had read on another thread this might continue to be an issue with Celebrity’s Basic service, so we’ve already upgraded our service to Premium on our upcoming B3B where I’ll be posting to a Live From thread. That’s too bad as we haven’t run into this issue with any of the other cruise lines we’ve recently cruised with since cruising started back up, only Celebrity.

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I had read on another thread this might continue to be an issue with Celebrity’s Basic service, so we’ve already upgraded our service to Premium on our upcoming B3B where I’ll be posting to a Live From thread. That’s too bad as we haven’t run into this issue with any of the other cruise lines we’ve recently cruised with since cruising started back up, only Celebrity.

As NCL said….. sharing IS caring🤩👍🏻🙌🏻

• Haha 1

On Eclipse in Alaska in September we had basic and couldn’t access CC, even to view much less post. Was able to retrieve emails and iMessages so no big deal for us. Assumed the same would be true for our recent sail on Silhouette in the Caribbean however the basic wifi worked much better, able to access CC, read and post as well as use WhatsApp for calls and browse the web. Just assumed it was a location, or itinerary thing but maybe it’s a ship specific variable? We don’t game and didn’t need to stream anything so glad we didn’t pay the up charge for the premium. 

• Like 2

Haha yes as others have suggested, the basic wifi package (despite being starlink) has been difficult to use.

Alas, yesterday we arrived in Hobart and back to my regular cellular service.

Day 2 was a sea day. As always there was plenty to do onboard. The standard trivia, movies, arts and crafts, relaxing by the pool, a few cocktails. I was expecting to have Eddy as our cruise director, however I believe he might be working in the background training our new cruise director (I heard from other passengers that he had, had a promotion). I don't want to be too harsh, as he is learning the ropes, and we have previously had the amazing Sue Denning.

The food onboard has been excellent. Today we went on a galley tour - as always it was very popular, but I always enjoy walking through the kitchen. Onboard they make everything except the gluten free bread and sugar free icecream - for such a large operation this is truly exceptional.

image.thumb.png.2e47670bdaf27e0233b8b269ae97a94c.png

image.thumb.png.d5e762cdecfb7ba78d52395bc5b2c51a.png

We headed up for an early lunch at oceanview, today's theme UK. They had a variety of savoury pies, cottage pies, Yorkshire pudding, roasts etc.

A beautiful display of desserts and pastries. After my last cruise, I stopped eating the desserts on board (they were terrible) however I am pleased to say they have improved. I wouldn't say they are amazing (but again, I might be biased since this is my career).

We took part in three consecutive game shows this afternoon, always a bit of fun, before getting ready for the only Evening Chic night onboard.

As mentioned we have concierage class (only because the price difference was $50 each from our 1A). We started strong on the afternoon delights, and I was shocked considering the reports I've seen on CC (alas day 3 was note the same standard)

image.thumb.png.13180def1ef2eadd701357a4630886ec.png

Tonight was our first night in the MDR. I was happy with my starter, but think I made the wrong choice on mains. Shrimp scampi - unfortunately quite flavourless. My partner ordered the sirloin, and again was very happy with the steak, but the couple next to us seemed to be having trouble with a very tough steak. Service was very slow, and took 1 hour 10 mins for starter and main (we arrived at 6:15pm). Plenty of sommeliers available, but seemed as though there was only one staff member running for other bar drinks.

image.thumb.png.1e6423a65b510304582b90cae9b9f74a.png

image.thumb.png.c1ee1e77bd89f1017d3d9ef106cf9223.png

image.thumb.png.c0812a9c6815bb2cbbaaed36151a4b85.png

Tonight's show was Caberat Broadway. The Eclipse singers onboard have been exceptional.

Edited by xxpinksaltxx
  • Like 3

Day 3, we have arrived in Hobart for our overnight stay. Wow it is 🥶. We had no plans other than to go to Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. This was a ship based tour, thankfully we got a good discount for Cyber Monday sales.

We docked at 9am, and we were able to get off around 9:40am. We walked to the Farmers Markets (about 1km away), bought some beautiful berries (although customs said we could take them onboard, the ship wouldn't allow us) and stopped to buy some locally made chocolates.

By this stage it was 11:30am and we were frozen. We headed back onboard for lunch at the oceanview. Today's theme "American". There were doubts, all American style desserts, fried chicken, mac and cheese etc.

We decided to stay onboard for our excursion, which was departing at 5:15pm. As an Australian, we did enjoy the Sanctuary, it is a rescue, and you are able to feed the kangaroos, touch the wombat, and get very close to the Tassie Devils. All the overseas guests definitely seemed extremely happy and excited.

Our tour finished at 9pm, and we were back onboard at 9:30pm. This is where the new change to room service charges got me. We were well aware of the US12 charge, and I'm happy to pay it, if it's worth it. We called at 9:40pm and there was a 40 minute wait (knowing that we had missed all other dinner options). Our food arrived at 10:30pm and unfortunately it was all stone cold. It was late, and we were starving (having eaten at 12pm), but I certainly wouldn't pay US12 for something that use to be free, to arrive completely cold. We didn't complain, but it also put us off ordering any room service again. 

To put into context, the animals at the sanctuary are only their if they are injured or can not return to the wild. image.thumb.png.adb8dc38e7f5eba607a4cd5137521914.png

One of the wildlife keepers on our Celebrity Excursion, holding a wombat, who is 9 months old.

image.thumb.png.6104b9492782511ef9bb5a6bc401b452.png

Tasmania Devils (male) both are blind in one eye.

image.thumb.png.2039156e6df98a3f8461f01634c3a9c1.png

My partner feeding the kangaroos (these kangaroos were already at the sanctuary when the owner bought it. They are now too humanised to be released into the wild. 

image.thumb.png.56c9b4cfd470c3d97e05181b14bd226c.png

Fred arrived as part of a will, he is 109 years old.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, SEAGURRL said:

Just out of curiosity who is the Cruise Director in training?  We were on the Feb. 16 - 28th cruise and Eddy had just come on board at that time.

We have Dominic Crosby - I haven't seen Eddy at all, but I assume he is lurking in the background.

36 minutes ago, xxpinksaltxx said:

We have Dominic Crosby - I haven't seen Eddy at all, but I assume he is lurking in the background.

I was on for the Barrier Reef cruise which finished last Friday. He was very present for most of the cruise then we were told he was sick

Edited by MelbTone

1 hour ago, MelbTone said:

I was on for the Barrier Reef cruise which finished last Friday. He was very present for most of the cruise then we were told he was sick

I hope Eddy is ok. I haven't seen any photos on his instagram for this cruise.

Just now, xxpinksaltxx said:

I hope Eddy is ok. I haven't seen any photos on his instagram for this cruise.

Great pictures! Sorry you’re having to deal with the shortcomings of the Basic package as it can be annoying. We’ve had the privilege of cruising with Eddy Jenkins twice before, and he definitely kept us laughing on both of those cruises. Hopefully, he gets better soon, and it would be totally awesome if he was our CD when we embark on the Eclipse in mid April!

This morning we had a leisurely morning and only hoped off for a walk to the CBD. We used the local scooters (similar to beam) to scoot around for a little. 

Back onboard for lunch, today's theme is Italian. This afternoon we hope to watch the sail away from the grass up top, and then we will go to Le Petit Chef for dinner. 

I haven't seen any offers in the daily for speciality restaurants, though the staff are very good at recognising the guests. I overheard them offering some good deals to guests at breakfast who haven't been to the speciality restaurants.

Tonight's show will be ' Rock City', we plan to head to the 7pm seating, with our dinner at 8:15pm.

image.thumb.png.ce9af51c45c31a54635e893c8bd82156.png

image.thumb.png.8c69497689c95d6b79b5ca4d51e34d38.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisinsusin said:

even premium starlink had trouble logging on and staying logged on  recent Eclipse down under

When it comes to the internet service on the high seas, location always places a big partn as well. But unlike other cruise lines, Celebrity purposely locks down the bandwidth for their Basic service to motivate folks to upgrade to the Premium service. They've done this ever since they introduced the two levels of service when cruising started back up.

On 3/8/2023 at 9:45 PM, xxpinksaltxx said:

By the time we got to our hotel it was 3pm, we had missed lunch and we were starving. We decided to go to Five Guys. Five Guys in Australia is very new, with only 3 stores in Australia. It's definitely not cheap, but we really enjoyed it when we were in Los Angeles in 2019.

image.thumb.png.b80e3853b30b34e05d14f3660db1069c.png

image.thumb.png.0e1474fc6cab1838875c3ef924fd9250.png

image.thumb.png.79f2f716d780c0efa3363df730a02d38.png

Our first mistake was forgetting that the cheeseburgers were double patties. Absolutely loved the burger, and probably some of the freshest and crunchyest fries we've had in a while. At AUD $64 for 2 burgers, 2 softdrink (soda) and a regular fries, it's definitely a treat.

We had Five Guys for lunch today in Los Angeles.( Free, since I did a mystery shop).  A little burger is 8.19.  Total for fries and a small drink was 17.16.  Overpriced!!