Anyone worried about Mexico ?

Shippy

I live in a small Northeast Texas town.   I was a probation officer for 36 years and bad things happen everywhere.   Whatever happens in the larger cities happened in my town but on a lesser scale.  I have been to Mexico at least 50 times and I never felt unsafe.  We are going again in May.  You just can’t do anything stupid and put yourself in a position to be a victim.   If you don’t think the risk is worth the reward then lock your doors at home and have your groceries delivered.   

23 hours ago, Cruisin'allovertheworld said:

I also find it bizarre that you're determined to paint Mexico as more dangerous than the USA, even though the facts and figures DO NOT bear this out in any way for the type of experience we are discussing.

They don't? Let's compare some facts. In Mexico, town mayors, elected officials, police chiefs, judges and LEO are often killed for standing up to drug cartels or refusing to be bribed. In Mexico, drug cartels have access to military grade hardware like RPG, 50 cal HMG, grenade launchers and plenty of automatic assault rifles. These folks have no hesitation to take on Mexican army and police. Some cartel leaders and members are in fact former military and police who decided to switch side for money. Is this happening in US? If so, it is certainly news to me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ldtr said:

As I said earlier the Government grabbed a leader of the cartel in that area.  The cartel tried to prevent him from being taken out of the area by shooting as Mexican air force  planes at the airport They failed.  Once he was out of the area they faded back into the background.

The fact is that a commercial airliner on the runway was fired on.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/20953464/mexico-airport-attack-sinaloa-cartel-el-chapo-son-arrest/

The lesson here is that once combatants are given the green line, the exercise of violence becomes unpredictable. As you would expect in a war zone.

The problem with Mexico is that the situation is unstable. Cartels are in constant conflict with each other. Cartels suffer from in-fighting. The governments conduct periodic counterattacks, and the cartels retaliate.

In the chaos, lesser predators thrive. Be aware, and be safe!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 10:59 AM, Shippy said:

Lots of bad publicity lately.

We leave this Saturday out of San Diego for our 7 day Mexican cruise !

How did it turn out? Any tips for another SD - Mexico cruiser?

Edited by diogenes65

Aloha. This is just my honest respectful opinion.  Been blessed to have been born and raised in Manhattan and have traveled throughout the world to safe places and some that are considered questionable. My ears and eyes are always alert. I am not a fan of Mexico or the Caribbean islands for more than 4 or 5 days and more than likely enjoy cruising in that region because its only a day in those ports. The people are great, the food is great and when going by air/land the resorts are great. That said

my days of Mexico are behind me. This includes some other Caribbean ports. Perhaps now that we divide our time between NY and Hawaii my opinion is different but when we travel to the Caribbean it is more for the ship rather than the ports. Enjoy!