Anyone worried about Mexico ?

Shippy

9 minutes ago, Shippy said:

Lots of bad publicity lately.

We leave this Saturday out of San Diego for our 7 day Mexican cruise !

Always is.  News is about the bad stuff.  The problems are in a couple of cities and right on the border.  

We no longer drive to Mexico.  Live 1 hour north of the border.

Just stay in tourist areas, don't wear flashy jewelry and you will be fine.  Every city has areas you do not want to be.  That includes the US.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

You may want to check out the travel advisories.  There are Do Not Travel advisories for some areas and Increased Caution for other areas.

We've only traveled once to Mexico for a Western Caribbean cruise.  We will never travel again.  While touring Cozumel we had some locals visibly try step in between and separate my wife and I.  We quickly returned to the ship and that was the end of us ever travelling to Mexico.

It really is a personal decision that you have to make.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We're going on a 24 day Sea of Cortez trip 12/10/23 -1/3/24. San Diego to San Diego. Not scared at all. I am however carrying an AK-47,  two machetes and grenades with me. 🙂 Truly, I used to be worried about Covid aboard ships (but never got it) and now I'm just going to travel.. Life's too short for me to live in fear.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

The tourist areas are fine especially during the day. We use to drive all over Mexico, I would not do that anymore. We don't travel to Mexico much these days but only because we've spent so much time there in the past. I'd rather explore new places now.

• Thanks 1

The travel warnings are pretty standard for most of Mexico.  The recent changes is because of the publicity of the kidnappings.  A week before that the issue was not raised even though others have been kidnapped recently in the same area of North East Mexico.  The worst areas are along the Texas boarder.  

I would not drive or walk across the border into Mexico.  That said we have done several cruises to Mexico from La in the past 12 months and would not be concerned about any of the cruise stops. 

One should always be aware of their surroundings when they travel.  There are areas of many cities in the US and Europe where I would not go, just as there are areas I would not go in Mexico.

Bottom line if your concern is due to the recent warning, nothing has really changed.  If you were comfortable in taking the cruise prior to the warnings then no real reason to change now. I would take the cruise, stay in the tourist areas, use cruise line excursions or other reputable tour companies.

Edited by ldtr

There are several countries that I refuse to visit out of concerns for personal safety and others that I refuse to visit because I don't want my tourist dollars to support them.  

Everyone has to make their own risk assessment or personal choice.

• Like 6

When we were in Cancun last month there was protest from taxi/cabs over some new government law changes regarding Uber drivers. I would be cautious using Uber in Mexico at the moment. 

Bottom line,  if the local area your cruising to is getting really dangerous then cruise line usually will take action for your security.

Every time I have gone to Mexico I treat it exactly the same as I would treat a known BAD area in the United States. Always have a male companion with you, dress down instead of up, do not wear jewelry and do not carry a camera or your key card around your neck. For years I did this whenever I had to field work in some of the worst areas of Los Angeles City and County and never had a problem.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Shippy said:

Lots of bad publicity lately.

We leave this Saturday out of San Diego for our 7 day Mexican cruise !

Shippy, You will have a great cruise but be careful. News is not always about the bad stuff.  I love, love, love visiting Mexico but am very cautious now.  I don't consider Mexican cartels the same as going into some of the "worst" areas of L.A.  I've volunteered in these areas.  As said, don't try to look like you are walking Rodeo Drive.  No jewelry, cameras, etc.  No one can guarantee you will not have a problem but you should be fine in the tourist areas.  Our last trip to PV we came thru a town on ATVs where the federales were getting out of their vehicles in masks with lots of fire power.  When someone says it's safe, no worries, that's BS.  Use your common sense and enjoy your cruise.  You might check out Copper10-8s posts on his cruises.  I think he is a good source for cruising to Mexico.  Hopefully you will have some great weather!!  Cherie    

• Like 4

I think they still sell excellent Baja fish tacos at the port in Ensenada - that is one reason to get off the ship, but not stray beyond the port. Not much there anyway.  Just a "technical" stop but they did develop the port facilities.

As bad as the cartel drug sellers are, (and they are vicious) we cannot escape responsibility for the drug buyers in the US who are the ones who really fuel this lethal trade. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Yes, there's danger in many tourist cities. Be situation aware, and prepare to duck and run.

We have friends who got held up at gun point in Cozumel last Fall while visiting on a cruise ship. Thats why we will stay onboard in June. I live in Texas and we are being warned to NOT cross into the Mexican border cities. Juarez and Matamoros are 100% controlled by the cartels, with one of the highest murder rates in Mexico.

• Thanks 3

We leave the 25th for a 10 night Mexican Rivera and Sea of Cortez cruise on Zaandam, and I am not worried. You should be cautious and street smart no matter where you travel, We have been to Mexico in the past with zero issues.

• Like 3

Recognize there can be a difference between Pacific coast Mexico ports and Caribbean Mexico ports. The entire Caribbean is a lot more dicey in my mind. Love to have someone change my mind on this conclusion.

Certainly our B2B Christmas/NY Konigsdasm cruise to Mexican Riviera and Sea of Cortez felt safe, friendly and even pretty clean.

Hope you consider the shore excursions to San Javier Mission from your Loreto port stop - a true highlight of this entire route. If you are even remotely interested in this rugged countryside and the early history of the Lower California Mission system.

Mission #1 - Loreto; Mission #2 - San Javier. San Javier remains a point of pilgrimage even today. Called "jewel" of the mission chain due to its lovely stone carvings. 

• Like 1

Iv been on cruises to both the Atlantic & Pacific ports in Mexico - 

First time was 1989 & Acapulco was starting to get dicey w crime... a  city that was known for its glamour & tourism.

Puerta Vallarta was a small fishing village & fantastic - for several years now its known as major drug center & out of control drugs / crime. Cozumel & Cancun were developed & now thug cartels own them.

This all doesn't happen overnight but the crime is so out of control the do not travel warnings should be paid attention to.  3 years ago was my last western carib cruise &  my last that area as well as Jamica, Nassau, DR.

When people are randomly shot(both tourists & locals) that should be a big enough warning.  There are plenty of other warm weather destinations to travel to no matter ow you rationalize it.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

When people are randomly shot(both tourists & locals) that should be a big enough warning. 

How is this different from many US cities including NYC?

• Like 6

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We have friends who got held up at gun point in Cozumel last Fall while visiting on a cruise ship. Thats why we will stay onboard in June. I live in Texas and we are being warned to NOT cross into the Mexican border cities. Juarez and Matamoros are 100% controlled by the cartels, with one of the highest murder rates in Mexico.

People have gotten held up at gun point in many towns in the US.  For that matter someone recently got shot near the pier in Pismo Beach.  Yet no warning here.  Though I do agree with you about not crossing the land boarder into Mexico.  

4 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

Iv been on cruises to both the Atlantic & Pacific ports in Mexico - 

First time was 1989 & Acapulco was starting to get dicey w crime... a  city that was known for its glamour & tourism.

Puerta Vallarta was a small fishing village & fantastic - for several years now its known as major drug center & out of control drugs / crime. Cozumel & Cancun were developed & now thug cartels own them.

This all doesn't happen overnight but the crime is so out of control the do not travel warnings should be paid attention to.  3 years ago was my last western carib cruise &  my last that area as well as Jamica, Nassau, DR.

When people are randomly shot(both tourists & locals) that should be a big enough warning.  There are plenty of other warm weather destinations to travel to no matter ow you rationalize it.  

Have you checked your crime rate in New York City lately.  Have felt safer in tourist areas of PV , then in tourist areas of NYC.

35 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

How is this different from many US cities including NYC?

The current Mexican President has been kind to the cartels, and it shows. Should the government ever tighten the screws on the cartels, expect vicious retaliation...

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/bc-travellers-hunker-down-mexican-resorts-as-cartel-violence-erupts-sinaloa-state