Best Healthy Food Choices on Princess

mbglib

On 3/16/2023 at 4:08 PM, BamaVol said:

I don’t know if it’s healthy or not, but the poached eggs are perfectly done.  You would want to avoid the hash browns and ham steak on my plate.  My wife orders without the toast.

3B304D14-D25E-4544-B19B-0D2E9D93D8E3.jpeg

Did you need to specify poached eggs medium when you ordered them or do you just say poached eggs?  These look perfect.

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Did you need to specify poached eggs medium when you ordered them or do you just say poached eggs?  These look perfect.

No specifications.  Between the two of us, we ordered them 4 times.  They came out the same in each instance.  I would say the eggs were of a consistent size and they have the timing right.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Yes, we're got one of those.  Waste of time.  By the time the whites are solid, the yolks are like bricks !

I have the silicone rings.  But I use them to make English muffins.  I may try poaching eggs with them and see what happens.  They’re shallow enough so that water should flow over the top and solidify the whites sufficiently. 

I'm presently on Sky Princess. I don't eat meat, and avoid all things junk food.

I am very picky about what I eat, there is absolutely no problem finding healthy choices onboard.

(It blows my mind the crap some people eat, and the volume of garbage calories they consume. And they wonder why they feel lousy. OK, have at me, but it's true.

If someone wants to eat well, they can. They need to show self-restraint, and make healthy choices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

No specifications.  Between the two of us, we ordered them 4 times.  They came out the same in each instance.  I would say the eggs were of a consistent size and they have the timing right.

Thank you. I love poached eggs.

It sounds like you enjoyed your cruise with Princess. Are you going to book another one?

On 3/14/2023 at 9:52 AM, mbglib said:

What do you think are the healthiest food choices on Princess? 

I had an issue with my gall bladder so I had to eat a very low fat diet on my cruises last year.

For afternoon tea I had the soup in the international cafe while my husband had his coffee.

I found that afternoon tea was hardest time to find healthy food and it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Princess uses potato to thicken their soups not cream so beware the carbs in 'the cream of' soups.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, sewgood said:

I found that afternoon tea was hardest time to find healthy food and it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Do you absolutely need to eat something for afternoon tea ?

If the offerings in the buffet or IC are not suitable,  why not take a salad or whatever from the buffet at lunchtime and store it in your cabin fridge until you need to eat it ?

But, from memory, there is only a very small period between lunch and dinner services in the buffet, so you will only have an hour or so when you would go hungry. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you. I love poached eggs.

It sounds like you enjoyed your cruise with Princess. Are you going to book another one?

Not right away.  Mrs BV had a day of seasickness followed by side effects from using the prescription patches. She’s not eager to sail again.  For me, the drive to and from Ft Lauderdale is unpleasant - we hit a serious traffic jam on Floridas Turnpike on the way home.  Not unexpected, no matter which Florida highway I drive, but I’m getting tired of it.  There are surface roads but it takes so much longer.

I’d like to introduce my grandchildren to cruising next.  I’m thinking of a short Bahamas cruise out of Port Canaveral which is a less than 90 minute drive from home. I just need to coordinate with their school schedule.  It won’t be Princess, because they don’t offer that.  

My next scheduled trip is next month and I’m getting a shuttle to and from the Orlando airport.  Not a cruise, not warm sunny weather, but a reunion with people I worked with 30 years ago up north. 

I may need to find a cruise companion.  One that doesn’t mind driving.  Or one who wouldn’t mind flying to a different port, maybe on the west coast. 

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 5:00 PM, Ragdollbd said:

The salad bar at lunch time & has many items to pick from.  Balsamic Vinegarette is delicious but they have other dressings also.  It's not like you have to put a ton of dressing  I usually get a piece of grilled chicken in the buffet also.  It's delicious.  There are many items at the International Cafe too.  

We often do this for lunch...get a salad and then grilled or rotisserie chicken (whatever we can find that day) to put on top. Get a feel for the entire Horizon Court as sometimes we could find salad toppings we wanted in different areas. Also if you ask, you can get a small container for dressing on the side,  but they are not readily available

• Like 2

10 hours ago, deja moo said:

I ate keto all day until dessert and had two or three. Walked 5-6 miles a day and came back having lost half a pound.

We also follow a keto/low carb diet. I have my coffee with 35% cream at home. Would the buffet have this readily available? I was thinking of buying a small carton and leaving it in the cabin fridge. 

On 3/18/2023 at 4:03 AM, BamaVol said:

Not right away.  Mrs BV had a day of seasickness followed by side effects from using the prescription patches. She’s not eager to sail again.  For me, the drive to and from Ft Lauderdale is unpleasant - we hit a serious traffic jam on Floridas Turnpike on the way home.  Not unexpected, no matter which Florida highway I drive, but I’m getting tired of it.  There are surface roads but it takes so much longer.

I’d like to introduce my grandchildren to cruising next.  I’m thinking of a short Bahamas cruise out of Port Canaveral which is a less than 90 minute drive from home. I just need to coordinate with their school schedule.  It won’t be Princess, because they don’t offer that.  

My next scheduled trip is next month and I’m getting a shuttle to and from the Orlando airport.  Not a cruise, not warm sunny weather, but a reunion with people I worked with 30 years ago up north. 

I may need to find a cruise companion.  One that doesn’t mind driving.  Or one who wouldn’t mind flying to a different port, maybe on the west coast. 

You may want to look into one of the larger Royal Caribbean ships if you are going with your grandchildren because those ships have all the bells and whistles.

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

You may want to look into one of the larger Royal Caribbean ships if you are going with your grandchildren because those ships have all the bells and whistles.

They’re young and innocent.  My 10 year old grandson was blown away when I told him the Caribbean Princess carried more people than the population of his hometown.  Both kids ate up the pictures I texted back from the ship. 

If I opt to do this on the cheap, MSC has a ship sailing out of Port Canaveral that has 3 or 4 night sailings - inside cabins for $219 pp the first week of summer vacation.  Of course that’s before taxes and port fees. But I could probably do a suite and take their mom along with us. I think the ship is only 2 years old. It probably has bells, whistles and a horn. 

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 7:45 PM, mbglib said:

Thank you.  I will try that.  I know I will overeat and plan to enjoy it, but was hoping some cruise critic users might know some "secrets" to at least help in some areas.

|Best hint ever, take the stairs, we never gain on any cruise by doing this.lol

1 minute ago, patlarry1976 said:

|Best hint ever, take the stairs, we never gain on any cruise by doing this.lol

Unfortunately, some people have mobility issues which require walkers and such and then people like me who have arthritic knees or hips that get really stiff and painful maneuvering too many  stairs.  We do a few stairs, but we prefer to eat healthy and use a recumbent exercise bike which is kind to our old knees.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2023 at 4:24 AM, wowzz said:

take a salad or whatever from the buffet at lunchtime and store it in your cabin fridge until you need to eat it ?

Do you know  if you can you ask for a to-go container for your salad? This is a nice idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, erienetuser said:

Do you know  if you can you ask for a to-go container for your salad? This is a nice idea.

No containers are provided by Princess.  You could bring your own, but takes up space in your suitcase.  We buy the clear film covers that look exactly like shower caps at the dollar store and put them over our to go food.  Works great!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BamaVol said:

They’re young and innocent.  My 10 year old grandson was blown away when I told him the Caribbean Princess carried more people than the population of his hometown.  Both kids ate up the pictures I texted back from the ship. 

If I opt to do this on the cheap, MSC has a ship sailing out of Port Canaveral that has 3 or 4 night sailings - inside cabins for $219 pp the first week of summer vacation.  Of course that’s before taxes and port fees. But I could probably do a suite and take their mom along with us. I think the ship is only 2 years old. It probably has bells, whistles and a horn. 

Your grandchildren are going to have a wonderful time. 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucky TGO said:

Happy Happy I have at least two on a 10 day cruise 😋 

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

T, my friend!!  Have not seen you around these parts lately.  Was thinking of giving you a call.  One day perhaps. Take care.

On 3/17/2023 at 6:54 PM, BamaVol said:

I have the silicone rings.  But I use them to make English muffins.  I may try poaching eggs with them and see what happens.  They’re shallow enough so that water should flow over the top and solidify the whites sufficiently. 

I have egg rings and, like you, I use them to make eggs that fit perfectly on English Muffins. For poached eggs I have an old pan that has a 4 egg fitting. Water goes in the bottom of the pan and the egg holding part goes over it. The eggs actually steam rather than sitting in water. I can make my wife's with a firm yoke and make mine with a fully cooked white but a runny yoke. (I can't make both at the same time though.) When I was a kid my mom just broke the egg into the water and it worked pretty well but, of course, it was not a "pretty" shape. (I can't stand runny egg whites. Bleh...)

18 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I have egg rings and, like you, I use them to make eggs that fit perfectly on English Muffins. For poached eggs I have an old pan that has a 4 egg fitting. Water goes in the bottom of the pan and the egg holding part goes over it. The eggs actually steam rather than sitting in water. I can make my wife's with a firm yoke and make mine with a fully cooked white but a runny yoke. (I can't make both at the same time though.) When I was a kid my mom just broke the egg into the water and it worked pretty well but, of course, it was not a "pretty" shape. (I can't stand runny egg whites. Bleh...)

My mother made them the same way yours did.  Being from Boston, she referred to it as a “dropped egg on toast”.  I’ve been satisfied just dropping them into boiling water too, but Princess opened my eyes to a more aesthetically pleasing poached egg. Added benefit: less wasted egg white left behind in the water.  Or so it would appear.

Edited by BamaVol