Drink Package Switcheroo

sherylc

Has anyone ever had the bar manager willing to change around drink packages once onboard? (I am guessing there is almost a zero chance of what I am asking for but figured it worth asking if anyone has ever tried!). We have the all inclusive package with classic drinks (booked almost a year ago). I prefer a virgin frozen drink or soda to alcoholic drinks so would probably be better off with the zero proof package. My husband is likely to get nickel and dimed with the add on dollars for the drinks he would enjoy. Do you think there is any chance they would downgrade me to the zero proof in exchange for upgrading him to premium? 

I am in a similar situation. My wife and I don't drink alcohol We prefer the Zero Proof package which offer premium bottled water and fresh juices from Aqua Spa Cafe. They did not mention smoothies but I assume they are included as well.

Assuming it is possible to switch on board, does anyone know who we should ask? Or this has to be taken off before the cruise? Thanks.

20 minutes ago, GreenDice said:

Assuming it is possible to switch on board, does anyone know who we should ask? Or this has to be taken off before the cruise? Thanks.

My recommendation would be to call Celebrity and do it before you cruise.  Others have reported success in converting the classic to the Zero Proof package prior to sailing. 

I just got off a chat session with a Celebrity agent. She was less than helpful. I am going to call a vacation planner instead.

You: A Classic drink package is included but we do not drink alcohol. Can we downgrade it to the zero proof drink package?
17:01, Mar 14
Cindy: Hi Peter! Our Aquaclass guests will receive our Classic Beverage package which comes our all-included package. You also have the option to upgrade this beverage package to our Premium package if you would like. I am attaching a link which will provide you information on available beverages. https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/beverage-packages/compare-packages
17:02, Mar 14
You: I want to downgrade, not upgrading to premium.
Cindy: This is a standard package which is automatic. It will provide you with your non-alcoholic beverages Peter. It is one standard package. We cannot downgrade.
17:03, Mar 14
You: Zero-proof drink package has some non-alcoholic drinks that are not in the Classic package.
17:04, Mar 14
Cindy: Our Zero-proof package is for guests who are minors, pregnant or suffer a medical condition which prohibits them. Documentation would be required to receive this package.

😲

3 minutes ago, GreenDice said:

I just got off a chat session with a Celebrity agent. She was less than helpful. I am going to call a vacation planner instead.

You: A Classic drink package is included but we do not drink alcohol. Can we downgrade it to the zero proof drink package?
Cindy: Hi Peter! Our Aquaclass guests will receive our Classic Beverage package which comes our all-included package. You also have the option to upgrade this beverage package to our Premium package if you would like. I am attaching a link which will provide you information on available beverages. https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/beverage-packages/compare-packages
Cindy: This is a standard package which is automatic. It will provide you with your non-alcoholic beverages Peter. It is one standard package. We cannot downgrade.
You: Zero-proof drink package has some non-alcoholic drinks that are not in the Classic package.
Cindy: Our Zero-proof package is for guests who are minors, pregnant or suffer a medical condition which prohibits them. Documentation would be required to receive this package.

😲

Reads like they are using ChatGPT 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GreenDice said:

😲

The info you want is there.  Just lost in the verbiage.

Your husband CAN downgrade to a Zero Proof package.  Simply needs a doctor's note saying he should not drink alcohol because of health reasons.  But, if part of AI package no refund.

You would need to pay the upgrade to get a premium package 

I believe the doctor note / documentation policy only applies when someone in the same stateroom is still having a Classic or Premium drink package. Celebrity wants everyone to purchase the same package unless there is a medical reason. Both my wife and I don't drink alcohol. Both are downgrading and are not requesting a refund. Doctors should not need to be involved.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, GreenDice said:

I believe the doctor note / documentation policy only applies when someone in the same stateroom is still having a Classic or Premium drink package. Celebrity wants everyone to purchase the same package unless there is a medical reason. Both my wife and I don't drink alcohol. Both are downgrading and are not requesting a refund. Doctors should not need to be involved.

You are correct if both want to downgrade not a problem.  The poster wants to downgrade 1 and in return upgrade the other to Premium at no cost, that won’t fly.

Edited by jelayne
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, GreenDice said:

I am in a similar situation. My wife and I don't drink alcohol We prefer the Zero Proof package which offer premium bottled water and fresh juices from Aqua Spa Cafe. They did not mention smoothies but I assume they are included as well.

If at all,  before your sailing...

Cheers and bon voyage 

Actually, no note is needed. They will take you at your word. I just booked an Alaskan cruise for July, BCC comped cruise, with no perks, and had no issue ordering a premium package for myself, and zero proof package for my wife( she is a diabetic). No other questions or documentation needed. We did this on the phone precruise to get our Elite discount.

On 3/14/2023 at 12:52 PM, sherylc said:

Has anyone ever had the bar manager willing to change around drink packages once onboard? (I am guessing there is almost a zero chance of what I am asking for but figured it worth asking if anyone has ever tried!). We have the all inclusive package with classic drinks (booked almost a year ago). I prefer a virgin frozen drink or soda to alcoholic drinks so would probably be better off with the zero proof package. My husband is likely to get nickel and dimed with the add on dollars for the drinks he would enjoy. Do you think there is any chance they would downgrade me to the zero proof in exchange for upgrading him to premium? 

Check this out:  

Like many others, I thought you'd have no chance at getting what you were asking about, but that very solution was offered to another when she called to upgrade only her husband.  You might actually have a chance.  It's certainly worth a call to find out.

The nuance of this request versus the other is that this OP wants to downgrade her package and upgrade her husband's package at no cost (since she is downgrading hers).  I'd be very surprised if they would agree to that.  In the other thread(s), people are still paying to move the one package to premium.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Check this out:  

Like many others, I thought you'd have no chance at getting what you were asking about, but that very solution was offered to another when she called to upgrade only her husband.  You might actually have a chance.  It's certainly worth a call to find out.

That was me.. Yes, they let us upgrade but not "switch."  We had to pay for the upgrade. I was left with my package. I actually had a choice of the Classic or Zero. I guess they figured it didn't matter.

In fact, that is all we were after.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 9:39 AM, bboop51 said:

We have the basic booze package that come with our cruise.  I don't  (and can't) drink.   We always upgrade the hubby's package to premium.

I just called Celebrity to that for our May sailing and was informed that we both had to upgrade.

My response, of course, was since when ? And I got back, this month.

I got a lot of what extras there were for, even though I can't drink, like the extra coffee drinks. I pointed out to the rep that they all contain alcohol.

He did inform me if I got a medical note they may change my status to zero proof and allow the other passenger to upgrade, but it sounded iffy.

WTH ..  I get that everyone has to have a package, but this is crazy.

From the your thread you started the above.

3 hours ago, bboop51 said:

That was me.. Yes, they let us upgrade but not "switch."  We had to pay for the upgrade. I was left with my package. I actually had a choice of the Classic or Zero. I guess they figured it didn't matter.

In fact, that is all we were after.

I am confused.  You said that you do not and cannot drink alcohol.  You said that Celebrity gave you the option to take the Zero proof package and you stayed with the Classic.  Why?  Unless Celebrity has made a change the Zero proof has an expanded choice of non alcoholic drinks, why did you take it?

Edited by jagoffee

Thanks for all the replies. Figured there was pretty much no chance that they would go for this change -- nothing for Celebrity to gain. In the age before computers, when a real person could have thought about it and made a decision, it might have happened. But now "the computers won't let us do that" is too common an answer. 

7 hours ago, jagoffee said:

From the your thread you started the above.

I am confused.  You said that you do not and cannot drink alcohol.  You said that Celebrity gave you the option to take the Zero proof package and you stayed with the Classic.  Why?  Unless Celebrity has made a change the Zero proof has an expanded choice of non alcoholic drinks, why did you take it?

What's it to you ?  Is that your only take away  from this ?  Here is why. . My package came with it and I felt I should keep it. Unless I was going to get credit for it, 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bboop51 said:

What's it to you ?  Is that your only take away  from this ?  Here is why. . My package came with it and I felt I should keep it. Unless I was going to get credit for it, 

Isn’t red bull and different kinds of water the only difference, and of course alcohol, between zero and classic 

3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Isn’t red bull and different kinds of water the only difference, and of course alcohol, between zero and classic 

i don't anything about red bull but the premium waters are not available on either zero or classic from my recollection, only club soda or regular Celebrity bottled water, unless they changed that (which I'm guessing is doubtful.)

15 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Sorry about the misunderstanding. 🤪

No misunderstanding, really.  In fact I think you are on to something.  By the way Celebrity operates. If you downgrade to Zero Proof from Classic they SHOULD give you a credit toward the upgrade for the the Premium package you paying for. They seem to now be nickle and diming you for everything else.

I honestly was not particularly (personally) bothered at some of the changes. I only eat on Lobster (hubby is allergic)  so none for him and in all of our cruises we have never ordered room service, it's just not our thing.  It's just like at home we don't have food delivered to our house.  But they seem to be looking for more and more ways take $$ from us.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bboop51 said:

i don't anything about red bull but the premium waters are not available on either zero or classic from my recollection, only club soda or regular Celebrity bottled water, unless they changed that (which I'm guessing is doubtful.)

From Celebrity website , hopeful this is the latest 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/beverage-packages/compare-packages

• Acqua Panna water
  • Evian water
  • San Pellegrino
  • Premium coffees
  • Red Bull and Editions
  • Zero Proof Cocktails, Frozen & Non Frozen

• Sodas
  • Premium teas
  • Aqua Spa Fresh Juices
  • Bottled Iced Teas
  • Vitamin Water
  • Like 1