Crown Grill - Should I Bother ??

kjg46

11 minutes ago, Yowman said:

So I've prepaid for CG at the old rate.  Really looking forward to steak.  If I find it not to be at the level of quality I expect for Specialty Dining can I send it back and ask for something else?

Yes, but by the time you get a replacement plate your dining guest at your table will be long done eating their meals (my experience at CG)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hunt182644 said:

Let us know did they really look young, or you can tell me on the TA in Oct.😀

They did NOT look young!  LOL!  Looking forward to meeting you!!
Susan and Chuck

On 3/16/2023 at 11:39 AM, MissP22 said:

We were almost tempted to go to Sabatini's & decided against it when we noticed the price had gone to $39. Alter reading the latest reviews I'm glad we didn't. I realize they're having a tough time of making a go of it with the increase in food prices but it is $39 which should cover their extra costs.

It wasn't $39 on the Enchanted....it was $29 up from $25

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

That's $39 plus the cost of the meal your missing in the DR  ...... and usually plus an additional tip for better service. 

no tip is required.  They don't even bring a check any longer.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 11:16 AM, wowzz said:

I thought the new price was $35 in Sabatinis? Still expensive though.

I just booked Sabatinis - $35 for Sabatinis and Crown Grill was listed at $39.

This would be on the Caribbean Princess. 

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

It wasn't $39 on the Enchanted....it was $29 up from $25

That's the number that stuck in my hear although we didn't eat there.

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

no tip is required.  They don't even bring a check any longer.

I didn't realize there wasn't a check any more but still. most people do tip extra since they seem to tip according to the value of the meal.

We have enjoyed the Crown Grill in the past and we also ate their on our last cruise on the Sky Princess.... however, with the recent price increase we really don't think of it as being worth it anymore. We are happy with the free food onboard so we will probably eat in the MDR from now on. To each their own.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 1:54 PM, kjg46 said:

We will have a family cruise on the Enchanted Princess this summer. One of our dining options would have us making reservations for seven adults at the Crown Grill. From the reviews I have read it seems the Crown Grill food is lacking not only on the Enchanted but also on the Regal and the Royal. Would Sabatini's be a better choice?

Just off Sky Princess Crown Grill was spectacular Filet Mignon prepared to perfection, however found Sabatini's to be "un edible fare" with hovering waiter who kept reminding us of his name and to give him good review. (spoke with a fellow passenger at Most Travelled Luncheon who brought up the subject of Sabatini's and said it was the worst meal he ever had and unable to eat it) 

MDR meals were very good, all dishes prepared as requested with steaks etc very tender.

Enjoy your Cruise and please dress up for Formal nights, you will feel great and so will the wait staff with many fellow passengers acknowledging the fact you made it a special night for them also.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I didn't realize there wasn't a check any more but still. most people do tip extra since they seem to tip according to the value of the meal.

As there has not been a check for at least three years, how do you know "most people do tip extra" ?

You seem to be a little out of date with reality.

On 3/15/2023 at 4:54 PM, kjg46 said:

We will have a family cruise on the Enchanted Princess this summer. One of our dining options would have us making reservations for seven adults at the Crown Grill. From the reviews I have read it seems the Crown Grill food is lacking not only on the Enchanted but also on the Regal and the Royal. Would Sabatini's be a better choice?

Personally I prefer Crown Grill. The filet mignon is my go-to and I have never been disappointed. 

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

As there has not been a check for at least three years, how do you know "most people do tip extra" ?

You seem to be a little out of date with reality.

Perhaps I am. Its been a while since we last went to any Specialty restaurant but from what people post here on CC, many do tip extra. 

Why would a check at the end of the meal keep people from leaving a $10 or $20 on the table if they felt obligated?

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Perhaps I am. Its been a while since we last went to any Specialty restaurant but from what people post here on CC, many do tip extra. 

Why would a check at the end of the meal keep people from leaving a $10 or $20 on the table if they felt obligated?

On a general note, I think it unwise to assume that the small, self-selected posters on CC are truly representative of the mass cruising market.  Basing opinions on the evidence of CC postings leads to false impressions. 

We have eaten six times in speciality restaurants on Princess,  post covid. We have tipped twice, where we felt the service went above and beyond. On the other occasions,  where the wait staff merely took our order and delivered the meal, we left nothing. On a purely non-scientific basis of observing the half dozen tables or so around us on each occasion, the majority of diners simply stood up and left at tge end of the meal, and walked straight out of the restaurant. 

All of which goes to show that there is absolutely no way of knowing if the majority tip or not.

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

On a general note, I think it unwise to assume that the small, self-selected posters on CC are truly representative of the mass cruising market....

All of which goes to show that there is absolutely no way of knowing if the majority tip or not.

You are ignoring the cardinal rules of Cruise Critic:

• If I do it, everyone does it.
  • If I saw it once, it happens all the time.
  • If it happened to me, it happens to everyone,
  • If it didn't happen to me, it doesn't happen at all.
  • if I didn't see it, it never happens.

😁😎

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

We usually eat at Crown Grill and Sabatini’s on each cruise … on the Diamond Princess recently, it was up top with the best service as well as the best food we’ve ever had!  
I am actually in the minority to be saddened to see a new menu at Sabatini’s.  I will still try it.    We’ve enjoyed the Crown so much in the past and will probably try it again but recently, my DH has not enjoyed his steaks (I only eat the fish or seafood .. no red meat).  He is a fan of the lamb, though and my Chilean sea bass has been outstanding, as was the lobster.  
I think my issue is when I am am offered too much food, I tend to like it less.  I’m ok with paying the extra price, just give me half portions.  On the Diamond Princess, they happily did that for me.  Then, I left enjoying the whole experience and it kept me wanting to go back.  
As far as the increase in price … I always say this, food costs have gone up like crazy where we live so, not expecting the cruiselines not to also raise their prices, especially for the prime meals.  

• Like 1

My thoughts:

Do not order the Beef Chop steak.  (we like the MDR beef medallions and prime rib better!)

The filet at the table next to us did look good.

Don't expect stellar service. (It was very busy, service and food were slow, etc.)

Go on a night when the regular menu does not appeal. 

About Italian night.

The food we ordered in the MDR was good.  (not stellar, of course, but very good)

The Souffle that night was OMG!

I wonder if somebody had an off night at Sabatini's.  (older menu)

Or perhaps they are used to Americanized  (or other country) Italian food.

When we went, it was very Italian.  The servers were very Italian.

Service was great.

Did we like everything?  That could be up to each person.

But, it wasn't bad, and it was Italian.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

You are ignoring the cardinal rules of Cruise Critic:

• If I do it, everyone does it.
  • If I saw it once, it happens all the time.
  • If it happened to me, it happens to everyone,
  • If it didn't happen to me, it doesn't happen at all.
  • if I didn't see it, it never happens.

😁😎

Thank you. Glad you and I are on the same page.

Unfortunately,  I don't think it will make any difference in the long run.

And the same one sided opinions will continue. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 5:56 PM, suzyed said:

We ate twice in Crown Grill on Enchanted over NYE. The first night I ordered the lamb chops and they were just ok, but DH enjoyed his steak.  The next time we ate there it was excellent!! The steaks were perfect and the service was great!  The only annoying part was the couple at the table next to us were talking about how young they looked and the man asked for 9 pats of butter at the beginning of their meal so they would be soft for when he wanted to put it on his food.  Yes, 9 pats.   LOL!
Sabatini's were wonderful and featured a new menu! The manager was so attentive and helpful! Great experience!
We have both booked for our upcoming Regal sailing.

I bring my own tiny Tupperware container with Kerrygold for just this reason. I like SOFT yummy butter with my meals🛳️🛳️🛳️

We just got off the Emerald and ate at both. We used our OBC so it at least  it was " free". Crown Grill was better than Sabatini's this cruise.  I miss the Cheese Fondue soup which was replaced by a 3 bean soup. 35.00 pp. for pasta dishes is a bit high. The steaks at the Crown Grill were spot on. Still at almost 80.00 ( plus tip)  for a couple, if I were to have to pay for it I would not go. Last cruise on the ,Sky Sabatini' s was the winner so I would say it also depends on the ship and of course, the cook.

• Thanks 1

On Sky at the moment and have noticed a vast improvement in the MDR meals at the same time a deterioration in the quality of the food in The Crown Grill. Disappointing given the recent price increase. The Italian evening in the buffet was excellent with risotto and pasta being made to order. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2023 at 4:54 PM, kjg46 said:

I think Crown Grill is the better choice although neither really excites me. For me, the food at Sabatini’s is nothing special since they took the veal chop off the menu.