I messed up big time

1 hour ago, sadiwest said:

Sorry I know I'm throwing out a lot of numbers.

Original category for 4 instead now sells at $12k.  So we'd have to pay $8k more to move to the same category. 

If i book a new cabin for 2, and do 2 and 2, it's about 4 to 6k more than what we've paid. 

No you dont.  You can do cabin changes within the same category and your price does not change. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No you dont.  You can do cabin changes within the same category and your price does not change. 

I think maybe OP just looked at the website, saw 12k (amount before discounts) and panicked. She should try calling and do what you said.

I’m wondering if the OP means same type of room (I.e. boardwalk balcony) and technically not the same category stateroom. At least that’s how I took it. 

Agree with previous 2 posters. Give them a call. 

Edited by SV1432

33 minutes ago, marci22 said:

I think maybe OP just looked at the website, saw 12k (amount before discounts) and panicked. She should try calling and do what you said.

I did call them and i was told about the 12k. Pethaps if i hadn't asked for the cost of adding a person, but that was information I genuinely needed. And if I hadn't called, I wouldn't have known I chose a cabin only for 3.

Catch 22 I suppose. 

6 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

I did call them and i was told about the 12k. Pethaps if i hadn't asked for the cost of adding a person, but that was information I genuinely needed. And if I hadn't called, I wouldn't have known I chose a cabin only for 3.

Catch 22 I suppose. 

From my experience, at least booking thru the website, it won’t let you book a cabin that allows 4 passengers if you are only booking for 3 people. So you didn’t make a mistake booking a cabin for 3 people maximum. The only thing you could have done differently is booked and paid for a cabin for four passengers when you initially booked the cruise. Just curious, did you check the price to book 4 passengers in a cabin when you booked this cruise?

• Like 1

Sorry that you are in this situation.

Even if you had picked a category that can hold 4, you might not be able to add a fourth. it all depends on passenger counts. Likely as determined by your Muster station (or something like that). The maximum passenger capacity of the ship is less than the maximum birth capacity of all the rooms. Areas of the ship can reach capacity before the ship is sold out.

Hate to say it, but the best bet, if you knew that this was a possibility from the start, would have been to book 4 people and then cancel one if she couldn't make it.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

Catch 22 I suppose. 

Call back and try as I suggested earlier

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

The 12k is kind of meaningless since it is more like 7,700 after 'discounts'. That makes me think the rep was new or just didn't look hard enough.

So do as ourusualbeach said, and call back and just say you want to switch to a cabin in the same category as you are in now, just a different location. There shouldn't be a price change. Look online and see what is left (not much). I see (12199 is connecting) and 12605 when I put in 4 people. Call and ask if you can switch to 12605. Don't ask about adding another person now, just secure the cabin.

Make sure the price stays the same or don't do it. Unfortunately, not all reps are knowledgeable.

Edited by marci22

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

A Central Park balcony that holds 3 is the exact same category that holds 4.  That means all you need to do is call Royal and move to a room that will hold 4.  Don't mention anything about number of people just move the room.  Once moved then call back and get a 4th guest added at the same rate you paid for the third guest.

I thought this might be the case.  I think the OP might be going about this the wrong way.  She just needs to find a cabin that holds 4 and move to that one.  After that is done add the 4th person.  Am I interpreting this right?

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I thought this might be the case.  I think the OP might be going about this the wrong way.  She just needs to find a cabin that holds 4 and move to that one.  After that is done add the 4th person.  Am I interpreting this right?

Exactly correct.  Same category...no repricing involved, just adding the 4th guests which will be at the same rate that the third was added.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Exactly correct.  Same category...no repricing involved, just adding the 4th guests which will be at the same rate that the third was added.

I wonder if they have restricted the quad cabins to groups of four on some sailings.  When do a mock for the OP’s sailing for four guests, I see CP balcony availability.  When I tried three guests, no CP balconies.🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

I do see 2 3-person CP available and actually, one of the cabins that comes up accommodates 3, and one accommodates 4.

When I put in 4 people, 3 cabins come up.

TAs or RC may be able to see more.

Edited by marci22

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Ok so I called to speak to an agent to do a "new" booking before I read the most recent comments. 

Clearly you get connected to a different team of folks to create new, rather than change an existing, reservation.   I don't care that he didn't fill me in on what everyone here has advised, but he must have taken the hero stance and took care of the change for the typical 4th person taxes/fees.  

Honestly glad I brought it up here because I was unaware of the ability to keep categories at no fee. Good to know should I or anyone else here need to know.

Problem solved.  Thank you...

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, marci22 said:

I do see 2 3-person CP available and actually, one of the cabins that comes up accommodates 3, and one accommodates 4.

When I put in 4 people, 3 cabins come up.

TAs or RC may be able to see more.

He told me there were 3 available at the time I called.  Good timing and lucky I didn't call a month from now.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sadiwest said:

Ok so I called to speak to an agent to do a "new" booking before I read the most recent comments. 

Clearly you get connected to a different team of folks to create new, rather than change an existing, reservation.   I don't care that he didn't fill me in on what everyone here has advised, but he must have taken the hero stance and took care of the change for the typical 4th person taxes/fees.  

Honestly glad I brought it up here because I was unaware of the ability to keep categories at no fee. Good to know should I or anyone else here need to know.

Problem solved.  Thank you...

Glad to hear that itvall worked out for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

From my experience, at least booking thru the website, it won’t let you book a cabin that allows 4 passengers if you are only booking for 3 people. So you didn’t make a mistake booking a cabin for 3 people maximum. The only thing you could have done differently is booked and paid for a cabin for four passengers when you initially booked the cruise. Just curious, did you check the price to book 4 passengers in a cabin when you booked this cruise?

I didnt have the 4th pax info (dob) because at the time, we were considering inviting a friend. Turned out to be a different friend than we originally anticipated, but hadn't asked anyone yet. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SV1432 said:

Sorry to hear of the honest oversight. The ‘sale’ that has been offered lately is up to $650 off, kids sails free. Give it a day or two and it will likely be back. That’s the best/most common standad sale I’ve been seeing lately. Reading what Tree skier said, that’s a great idea.

Kids sail free is normally 12 and under, and the daughter at least will be 13 at the time of the cruise.

10 hours ago, sadiwest said:

I didnt have the 4th pax info (dob) because at the time, we were considering inviting a friend. Turned out to be a different friend than we originally anticipated, but hadn't asked anyone yet. 

We booked a "Jane Doe" with a dob of 1/1/2006 while DD figured out which friend to invite (and who would accept).

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark_K said:

Kids sail free is normally 12 and under, and the daughter at least will be 13 at the time of the cruise.

Good catch. I saw the daughters age in one of the posts later after I replied. 

17 hours ago, RobInMN said:

Sorry that you are in this situation.

Even if you had picked a category that can hold 4, you might not be able to add a fourth. it all depends on passenger counts. Likely as determined by your Muster station (or something like that). The maximum passenger capacity of the ship is less than the maximum birth capacity of all the rooms. Areas of the ship can reach capacity before the ship is sold out.

Hate to say it, but the best bet, if you knew that this was a possibility from the start, would have been to book 4 people and then cancel one if she couldn't make it.

This. This is so important. If unsure always book directly the max number of people you think might be in the cabin. It is easy to cancel one person from the cabin or do a name change but it can be a pain or simply impossible to add a fourth pax to a cabin even if the cabin could hold four. This is because of lifeboat occupancy numbers. Each section and deck of the ship has a max lifeboat capacity and it is NOT the same as that section’s max cabin occupancy. So even though a cabin could hold 4 if the lifeboat occupancy does not allow the 4th pax anymore they simply will refuse to add the fourth pax to the cabin. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, SV1432 said:

Sorry to hear of the honest oversight. The ‘sale’ that has been offered lately is up to $650 off, kids sails free. Give it a day or two and it will likely be back. That’s the best/most common standad sale I’ve been seeing lately. Reading what Tree skier said, that’s a great idea.

that sale will just evolve into another version, and so on . The prices are not gonna change much when that "sale" comes around again

20 hours ago, marci22 said:

…Since the mother has been uncommitted until this point, there is no way I would pay that much more 'just in case'.  

Exactly. Now if this mother had to pay for her child she would definitely commit one way or the other.