Celebrity app won't work on my Samsung Tablet

BillHana

Just now, Arizona Wildcat said:

Uninstall.  Reboot.  Clear cache.  Try again.  Many threads on the app not working on tablets.

I have a Samsung tablet as the OP is asking about, it doesn't even present the app to be installed, searching the Play Store returns 'This app won't work for your device'. 

It would seem it did work at one time in the past but does not work anymore.  Found this from another thread in January this year where someone called Celebrity and got this answer.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2904289-no-app-support-for-tablets/?do=findComment&comment=64574080

Unless someone has a hack to actually get it installed on the tablet, I know I certainly would not suggest (nor attempt) doing this.

1 minute ago, BillHana said:

I am not able to uninstall because I never got to install. Sounds like others have the same problem with tablets.

Same, it appears what might have worked in the past on older Android OS is 'in the past' and it looks like it is no longer available/supported by Celebrity.  They are focused on smartphones, though it may work on iOS tablet (iPad) but that is irrelevant to us with Android tablets.

11 minutes ago, poffles said:

I have a Samsung tablet as the OP is asking about, it doesn't even present the app to be installed, searching the Play Store returns 'This app won't work for your device'. 

It would seem it did work at one time in the past but does not work anymore.  Found this from another thread in January this year where someone called Celebrity and got this answer.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2904289-no-app-support-for-tablets/?do=findComment&comment=64574080

Unless someone has a hack to actually get it installed on the tablet, I know I certainly would not suggest (nor attempt) doing this.

What worked for me ( best I think if both devices are Samsung, although other android pones may work)...

I put the app on my phone and then moved it to my tablet using the Samsung Smartswitch app. It appears to work as well on the tablet as it does on the phone, if that means much😅.

If it doesn't work, the worst is you have lost a little bit of time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

What worked for me ( best I think if both devices are Samsung, although other android pones may work)...

I put the app on my phone and then moved it to my tablet using the Samsung Smartswitch app. It appears to work as well on the tablet as it does on the phone, if that means much😅.

Brilliant !

Google Product Expert (volunteer) here, may I ask a few questions?

Model: Samsung Galaxy Tab A8, correct?

OS: Are you on Android 13? Please update if you're not, that could be part of the issue.

Screenshots: do you have one you can post? Different error messages require different troubleshoots.

Age: how old is the tablet? Sometimes outdated devices aren't supported.

Cache: did you clear it? This will create more memory on the device, making apps run smoother and solve many bugs.

Memory: do you have enough on the device? Do you have expandable memory you can install?

Apps: are they all updated?

Try those troubleshoots and if those don't work, circle back and I can escalate it to the Google Play mods 

Edited by broadwaybaby123

I have an old (5 yrs.+) Samsung Tab 7A using Android V12 and it is running the Celebrity App without any problems. I just checked the Celebrity App to make sure and it still works. Nothing special about this tablet, about as low on the capability pole as you can get. It other words, it was a cheap Costco buy, but is fine for running basic programs. 

Edited by sptrout

10 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Google Product Expert (volunteer) here, may I ask a few questions?

Model: Samsung Galaxy Tab A8, correct?

OS: Are you on Android 13? Please update if you're not, that could be part of the issue.

Screenshots: do you have one you can post? Different error messages require different troubleshoots.

Cache: did you clear it? This will create more memory on the device, making apps run smoother and solve many bugs.

Memory: do you have enough on the device? Do you have expandable memory you can install?

Apps: are they all updated?

Try those troubleshoots and if those don't work, circle back and I can escalate it to the Google Play mods 

Product:  Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 SM-T870

One UI Version:  5.1

Android Version: 13 

Google Play System Update:  Jan 2023

Kernel:  Update Feb 2023

There is plenty of space (over 2GB) and OS and all apps fully kept up to date. 

Not the OP but my tablet is not old, the system is updated as much as it can be with plenty of memory available.  This does not appear to be related to 'old' system but more that it might be a newer system as it sounds like it works for folks that installed it long ago.  It sounds like the Celebrity App build has not kept up with Android and perhaps v13 is the version it will not 'show available' as an app to install.

Interestingly the MyRCL App appears available to install along with pretty much every other cruise line ... hmmmm.  🙂

Edited by poffles

2 hours ago, poffles said:

Not the OP but my tablet is not old, the system is updated as much as it can be with plenty of memory available.  This does not appear to be related to 'old' system but more that it might be a newer system as it sounds like it works for folks that installed it long ago.  It sounds like the Celebrity App build has not kept up with Android and perhaps v13 is the version it will not 'show available' as an app to install.

Interestingly the MyRCL App appears available to install along with pretty much every other cruise line ... hmmmm.  🙂

I escalated your issue to Google, we'll see what they have to say. I have a Kindle, so unfortunately I cannot troubleshoot.

• Like 1

I have always had issues with Samsung tablets and using certain proprietary apps...

While it would be nice for this and other apps to work on the tablet, in reality I use my phone at the pier, so it is not a major challenge, as the tablet is a bit too bulky for me to carry around like that.

Yet, I can understand the desire to use it before sailing.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
Added thoughts....
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, poffles said:

I've escalated the issue internally with Google, they're currently investigating.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

18 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

It is a known issue. The old stuff works fine, it is the newer stuff that does not. Telling people to update is not always good advice. I work with some lab instrument software that OS updates would absolutely break.

3 hours ago, RedIguana said:

It is a known issue. The old stuff works fine, it is the newer stuff that does not. Telling people to update is not always good advice. I work with some lab instrument software that OS updates would absolutely break.

The app is a phone app which Celebrity does nothing to make it work on a tablet or not work on a tablet because they consider it a phone app. . So upadating does not fix it. Might actually break it on older tablets. Some have figured out a workaround  which was mentioned a few posts back which is basicly sideloading the app using the smartswitch app. . 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The app is a phone app which Celebrity does nothing to make it work on a tablet or not work on a tablet because they consider it a phone app. 

Yep. Pretty much the same conclusion reached about this in a thread on here 7-8 months ago maybe? That one I remember, for all I know there is a new thread on this every few months.

On 3/16/2023 at 6:01 PM, poffles said:

I actually did this with a side load using an APKmirror program it works perfectly.  No harm to my tablet in the least.    I'm definitely not very tech savvy and it was easy for me to do. Took just a few minutes.  Lesson learned--Do not delete this "old" app ever on the tablet. 

Edited by quicklabs

On 3/16/2023 at 3:17 PM, RTShaker said:

Yes, that's exactly what I did. It works great!  I was so relieved. 

Good luck

• Like 1

• 1 month later...