Teenagers causing damage to ship this week

This is nothing new. Cruised on a ship in 1992 on a cruise out of Miami. Seven nights to the eastern Caribbean. This is a cruise line that is no longer in business and we had a group of high school seniors on board. Around fifty students. They turned the ship upside down and made it miserable for many of the guests on board. The crew did what they could to try and control the situation but in the end very little changed. Now this was a group with teachers as chaperones and no parents as I recall. The following year, this lines policy changed on allowing young groups of people. I know that it’s not the exactly the same with no parents but as previously posted when you get a lot of kids together, things seems they change. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Absolutely no one even suggested that.

Well she mentioned how this post is hilarious. We have been cruising Royal a few times a year for over 20 years and have never encountered the issues like this cruise with rude people and teens.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Well she mentioned how this post is hilarious. We have been cruising Royal a few times a year for over 20 years and have never encountered the issues like this cruise with rude people and teens.

They said the posts were hilarious and i agree.  a lot of pearl clutchers chiming in.

Our New Years cruise was so overloading with children running free with no supervision we could barely walk thru without getting (unintentionally) shoved by running pre-teens. One evening while waiting for an elevator there was no less than 8 teen girls sitting in front of them screaming just to see how loud they could get.  No one approached them to tell them to stop either.  Rather than suffer thru it others like us took to the stairs and we are physically challenged but the pain in our legs was better than the screaming! The worst part was having them run down the halls kicking our cabin doors at 2 a.m. though....

Also saw many children in the buffet without parents (you could tell by their plates, lol...cake and fruit ALWAYS, it was cute) but most seemed well mannered in that area.  Still not okay imo...I was always within earshot/eyesight of my girls but then again I'm old 😄.  Parenting has certainly changed and the world isn't NEAR as safe as when I had children!!

Edited by butterfly4108
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, actuarian said:

A ban for life is not adequate for vandalism or assault. Royal was quite right to force some of them to disembark in Aruba. That will at least cause them to regret their actions, particularly if any of them were traveling with birth certificates instead of passports.

I was wondering if the families that are in lock up in their cabins only have birth certificates and the ones with passports were disembarked in Aruba.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark_K said:

The state of Florida asserts some jurisdiction for crimes committed on cruises that both begin and end in the state, even if the crime occurred in international waters.

Uh, no.  Most of the major cruise lines have specified that civil cases will be tried in federal court in the Southern District of Florida.  And, for criminal cases, the US federal government only has limited jurisdiction over certain crimes against US citizens while in international waters.  The state of Florida's jurisdiction totally ends at the 3 mile limit, and the US federal jurisdiction continues to the 12 mile limit.  The Florida Supreme Court has ruled that the state can exercise jurisdiction beyond the 3 mile limit, but this has not been tested as whether it is constitutional or not, and to the best of my knowledge has not been applied.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I don't buy the teenagers will be teenagers line in the OP. You know what's right or wrong at that age. I sailed many ships in my teens and would never have dreamed of doing anything like that. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who causes damage to the ship, teenager or adult, should be treated the same way. It's vandalism period.

Thankfully the team on Odyssey appear to be taking a zero tolerance approach and kicking those morons off.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I agree that they can be kicked off at the next port, but can they really be prosecuted by the local police for something that was done (most likely) in international waters, or in the waters of another country?

There have been tons of cases where after a crime happened at sea, the police at the next port boarded the ship to arrest the perps. Some discussion here for example: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=240

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BND said:

Yes, but even that's changing.  Parents have zero problems with taking their kids out of school anytime they feel like it.  Our upcoming Apr 8 cruise on EN is a 12 night and from the roll call, there are a lot of kids that will be onboard.

Lots of home schooling these days, more since covid.

We have in excess of 100 school age children on world cruise

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BND said:

What I find interesting is people report their actual experiences and what they witnessed onboard and people get offended by it. And others don't get the point and decide it's about them.

And a Disney ship was at Coco Cay recently😉

• Haha 9

7 minutes ago, garywatson said:

There have been tons of cases where after a crime happened at sea, the police at the next port boarded the ship to arrest the perps. Some discussion here for example: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=240

This does not really explain the jurisdiction overlaps and limitations well.  In the cases mentioned, where the local law enforcement are called onboard at the next port, this is at the Captain's invitation, and still depends on the jurisdictional limits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

The elevators with the broken glass were/are closed. I’m not taking time to go around to try to take pictures of broken artwork and cameras. Our daughter mentioned the damage in the teen area. Someone else confirmed and it’s been posted in our cruise group multiple times this week.

I could care less if you believe me or don’t believe me.

Where did the information on $12,000 invoice come from?

• Like 1

I haven’t been on a cruise where property damage has happened, but lately there seems to be more kids than ever on cruises, seemingly left to do as they please with no parental supervision.  What bothers me the most is kids running at top speed through the ship with no regard to people using walkers and canes or on scooters.  I haven’t seen anyone actually get hurt, but it’s very disturbing to see this happen. I wish the cruise line staff would address these issues.

• Like 3

Here's what I find "funny" about this thread...

Last year, I posted the "contract" that we had the teens (two 18yo and two 16yo) that we were taking on the cruise agree to.  It was basically, "behave", gave examples like don't push all the buttons in an elevator, dont make noise in the cabin hallways, don't accept drinks from others, attend dinner with us in the MDR, among others.

I was told it was too strict and I should "lighten up".  I don't think one poster backed me.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GlasgowCruiser01 said:

I don't buy the teenagers will be teenagers line in the OP. You know what's right or wrong at that age. I sailed many ships in my teens and would never have dreamed of doing anything like that. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who causes damage to the ship, teenager or adult, should be treated the same way. It's vandalism period.

Thankfully the team on Odyssey appear to be taking a zero tolerance approach and kicking those morons off.

What I meant with “teenagers will be teenagers” is you will have groups of teens running around the ship taking over pools, hot tubs, etc. if you cruise during spring break it’s to be expected to see kids everywhere hopefully having harmless fun.

What isn’t expected is damaging the ship or abusing people!

Edited by CruisingHogFan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Thisguylikestocruise said:

I wish parents would supervise their kids in the Windjammer. Some touch the food directly with their hands, one even used their hand to grab spaghetti 🤮

Lots of adults do that! Lots of adults eating in the buffet line, shoving food in their face as they wait to load up on the next food item, which is a sanitation violation. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Here's what I find "funny" about this thread...

Last year, I posted the "contract" that we had the teens (two 18yo and two 16yo) that we were taking on the cruise agree to.  It was basically, "behave", gave examples like don't push all the buttons in an elevator, dont make noise in the cabin hallways, don't accept drinks from others, attend dinner with us in the MDR, among others.

I was told it was too strict and I should "lighten up".  I don't think one poster backed me.  

I would have if I'd seen it. I like how you handled it.  "lightening up" parenting is what gets kids into that kind of trouble as they know there are no consequences to their actions.  Our boys never would have behaved the way I've seen some behave because they knew right from wrong and what we expected of them.  They're in their 30's now and we never had a problem with them.  We were strict but gave them independence too.  We weren't their friends until they grew up.  Our job was to raise responsible human beings, not spoiled brats.

I also really wish that people would quit saying but "adults do xyz".  That does not justify any of the behavior, at all.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Where did the information on $12,000 invoice come from?

We have heard it multiple times this week. I have no idea if that amount is true or not. Seems high to me but there’s been a lot of talk about it.  Those glass panels in the elevators are probably not cheap. I’ve see 2 of them broken personally. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

We have heard it multiple times this week. I have no idea if that amount is true or not. Seems high to me but there’s been a lot of talk about it.  Those glass panels in the elevators are probably not cheap. I’ve see 2 of them broken personally. 

Thanks, I was just curious.

I for one have an inlaid wood table we got in Sorrento years ago. Every time we tell the story on how we got it, my wife raises the price🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6