Vila Vanuatu cancelled

I read somewhere (probably Facebook) that they're expecting their first ship back since the cyclones on 25th March.  Luminosa I think.  There was some wharf damage, plus power cuts and water shortages.

I can happily spend a 'foodie day' enjoying French cuisine in Noumea - market, creperie, patisserie, chocolaterie and poke through Carrefour for a cheese selection to bring back to the ship.  A second day would be challenging while the beaches are also closed!  Do you like snorkelling, a day out on an island might be nice.  

• Like 1

On our ovation cruise in January this year, we missed both Mystery Island and Port Vila, but got to go to Bay of Islands NZ instead.  I think its a bit iffy booking any type of South Pacific Island cruises during this time of the year.

We’re on this cruise too. Of 3 cruises this season (3 years of rescheduled cruises into one summer) we’ll have been to Port Vila once only. We’ve also had Noumea cancelled on one trip and haven’t yet made it to Mystery island! 
Obviously we have no control over weather, but it would be nice if there were more ports in the South Pacific that are suitable for larger ships. 
That’s my little rant - but I must say I’m just happy to be cruising and it’s definitely not the end of the world having an extra cruise day or the same port twice.  🛳️

January cruise on P&O both Noumea and Vila cancelled, added Mystery Island, we were already scheduled for Lifou, so two quiet ports.  
Haven’t seen Isle of Pines as a port listed lately, lovely place.

Vanuatu took a hammering with the recent cyclone, hope all residents are getting back to normal.  We are there again in May.

We are on the Carnival Splendor in June, also had the Vanuatu stop cancelled so its now 2 stops in Noumea with Mystery Island in between ☹️

Hopefully all islands and stops are back up and able to take cruise ships, not least for the local economy in all these places.  

Was in Noumea last week. Apparently the ban on swimming and snorkeling will last until end of year. By then they will have shark nets installed at two main beach frontages. Assume this ban includes Duck Island which is just offshore (short water taxi ride) where we would hope to go snorkeling.  We're back again in early September for two days on Carnival Splendor.  We'll probably wander through the local fish market and fruit and vege and craft market, then stroll to coconut square and buy a local bus ticket to Anse Vata. The beachside walk between there and Citron/Lemon Bay is quite pleasant.  Also good place to buy duty free liquor opposite the tourist information hub/cruise terminal, but I'll post separately of my experience there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Amadee Island is not listed on the smart traveller siteECA2D71C-DCD8-45C3-8079-7846F6221566.thumb.png.7b4b4f167e798d3380239d22015ccf94.png

Thanks for that info. Ile aux Canards is what we call Duck Island so that answers my question. Snorkeling there is out for us.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 9:57 AM, Gwendy said:

January cruise on P&O both Noumea and Vila cancelled, added Mystery Island, we were already scheduled for Lifou, so two quiet ports.  
Haven’t seen Isle of Pines as a port listed lately, lovely place.

Vanuatu took a hammering with the recent cyclone, hope all residents are getting back to normal.  We are there again in May.

The locals are not presently allowing cruise ships to visit Isle of Pines.