Is it Safe to Sail Out of Miami?

BirdTravels

I have always felt reasonably safe in Miami but as many have pointed out- all cities have their share of issues.  If we are cruising we will typically stay with in easy walking distance of Bayside/the Arena/Port of Miami area.  I have never been concerned, but as always and with all places take extra care when out and about, particularly at night.

South Beach.

I remember the time when we visited and there was a special at one of the restaurant for big glass of cocktail.  I ordered.  When the bill came, instead of showing

Big Cocktail   $xx.xx

It abbreviated, or just didn't have enough space,, so didn't show "tail".

• Haha 8

As long as you avoid getting/staying in Miami Beach or South Beach you'll be fine.

Recently my wife and I stayed pre-cruise in a Hotel in  Doral without any kind of trouble, however we decided to go for an evening walk on Lincoln Road just to be trapped in the middle of a fight that almost turned into a shootout...  

5 hours ago, moposh said:

I sure hope it's safe.  I sail out of Miami on April Fool's Day.

Same here, not scared, flying in on the 31st..have a room across Biscayne from Bayside Friday evening.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Shootings. Curfews. We are flying in the day before our cruise, but it doesn’t sound safe. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/03/19/us/miami-beach-shootings-spring-break/index.html

I suspect the Bird is trying to wind up everyone who posts negative comments about other ports/countries…

but for those who’ve experienced Spring break the closest equivalent in Ireland is Rag week (raising & giving week) which is generally a different date in every college and everyone drinks to oblivion while giving money to charity. Some of the college cities here basically ban the students from the city centre that week. Oh and, in theory, classes are still in session during that week. When I was an undergrad my classmates objected to having to do our electronics lab overlooking the student bar. They decided to blow up every LED and Capacitor we could get our hands on .. stinkbomb wouldn’t come close to it.  For some reason the engineering profs were the most resistant to cancelling classes that week. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, eileeshb said:
17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Shootings. Curfews. We are flying in the day before our cruise, but it doesn’t sound safe. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/03/19/us/miami-beach-shootings-spring-break/index.html

I suspect the Bird is trying to wind up everyone who posts negative comments about other ports/countries…

Agree with the tongue in cheek read of this OP's intent.

Don't hear of many shot fired at 10am at a cruise port.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ashland said:

A couple of months ago it wasn't spring break....right ??

I think the point is that it's not Miami Beach, it's the City of Miami, and was safe at that time and should be the same now.  The Biscayne/Brickell Ave., area of the City of Miami is more of a business/financial and hotel area, with many bars and restaurants.  My only concern would be how many of the City of Miami's police force are on loan to Miami Beach.  Is it leaving the City of Miami unsecured/unsafe?  

BTW, as stated in an earlier post, every city has its crime problems, even at the best of times.  The City of Miami is no exception, for sure.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sydneyberlin said:

Just as I have no clue and we’ve on purpose booked a hotel in South Beach before our cruise in mid April- “Spring break” will be over by Easter, will it?

We always loved Miami Beach so this is sad to read 😒

Spring Break "should" end with Easter Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Middleager said:

South Beach.

I remember the time when we visited and there was a special at one of the restaurant for big glass of cocktail.  I ordered.  When the bill came, instead of showing

Big Cocktail   $xx.xx

It abbreviated, or just didn't have enough space,, so didn't show "tail".

And, then you had to submit the receipt on your expense report at work.

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I think the point is that it's not Miami Beach, it's the City of Miami, and was safe at that time and should be the same now.  The Biscayne/Brickell Ave., area of the City of Miami is more of a business/financial and hotel area, with many bars and restaurants.  My only concern would be how many of the City of Miami's police force are on loan to Miami Beach.  Is it leaving the City of Miami unsecured/unsafe?  

BTW, as stated in an earlier post, every city has its crime problems, even at the best of times.  The City of Miami is no exception, for sure.

I am sure Tubbs and Crockett will sort it out

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, eileeshb said:

but for those who’ve experienced Spring break the closest equivalent in Ireland is Rag week (raising & giving week) which is generally a different date in every college and everyone drinks to oblivion while giving money to charity. Some of the college cities here basically ban the students from the city centre that week. Oh and, in theory, classes are still in session during that week. When I was an undergrad my classmates objected to having to do our electronics lab overlooking the student bar. They decided to blow up every LED and Capacitor we could get our hands on .. stinkbomb wouldn’t come close to it.  For some reason the engineering profs were the most resistant to cancelling classes that week. 

Totally agree.  The OP is a very seasoned cruiser and knows all about cruising so I didn't take this post seriously.

14 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

Spring Break "should" end with Easter Sunday.

Spring Break usually ends the Sunday after Easter.  Lots of schools have Easter week off including the local school districts where I live.

57 minutes ago, Tymless1 said:

We sailed out of there last week and it was fine. We spent the evening at Bayside the day before we left and it was crazy with people but no issues. 

You would not be able to do that this weekend.  Bayside will be practically closed off.  Ultra Fest will be bringing 120,000 people downtown from across the world.    The main stage is at Bayside and concert is adjacent to the port bridge too which will impact cruise traffic.  When you combine this with the crowds of spring break, its a real jam.   Biscayne is closed and fenced off many streets downtown.  Anyone cruising out of Miami this weekend please take note

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

You would not be able to do that this weekend.  Bayside will be practically closed off.  Ultra Fest will be bringing 120,000 people downtown from across the world.    The main stage is at Bayside and concert is adjacent to the port bridge too which will impact cruise traffic.  When you combine this with the crowds of spring break, its a real jam.   Biscayne is closed and fenced off many streets downtown.  Anyone cruising out of Miami this weekend please take note

I cruised out of Miami this past January, the morning of the Miami marathon which staged adjacent to the port.  It was a colossal mess trying to get to the port.  So many roads closed.  Just be warned.  A 20 minute Uber ride from North Beach became 1.5 hours....and we were lucky.  My family driving in from other parts of Florida had horrible delays.  Supposed to arrive at 11am.  Showed up at 2pm.

On 3/21/2023 at 7:08 AM, ramja96 said:

This weekend, however, is the Ultra Music Fest at Bayfront Park, March 24-26.  Road closures will be in place and about 150K+ attendees. Should be fun - I board Grandeur this Friday. 🙄

On the plus side, you might be able to catch a few pretty good electronic shows before your sailing lol

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 4:44 PM, JGmf said:

Don't hear of many shot fired at 10am at a cruise port.

Back when I lived in the big city, we’d sometimes want to go visit something in one of the dodgy neighborhoods. We’d go on a weekday morning. You know what goes on in dodgy neighborhoods on a weekday morning? People going to work. Grandmothers out doing their shopping. Kids in playgrounds. Joggers. Etc.