Just sharing some surprise and concern in attempting to make YC reservation- no refundable deposit

chisoxfan

I thought I had figured out a good family 'anniversary' trip on MSC. We have only been on MSC and YC once (Seaside) and enjoyed it greatly. Thought a mid year cruise (2024) could work well for us and I spent a good part of the morning on the line with MSC. I wound up speaking to several reps- not trying to be unfair but several of the initial agents I spoke to did not seem particularly informed- I will leave it at that. I was finally connected to a helpful and engaged agent and we spent some time locating 3 cabins. As I went to put down a deposit I was told it was non refundable (or maybe I asked, not sure) and there was no way around this. I am certain most of the enlightened MSC cruisers here know of this policy but it took me aback. Obviously many can abide by this but with three cabins (7 people) traveling I was not going to book with a non refundable deposit (I never had previously in two decades of cruising).

We initially were going to book an all inclusive a big reason being the flexibility these have with cancellations (usually full cancellation without penalty from 3-14 days prior to stay).  We will probably go back to this plan A which is a shame because the cruise did seem to be a good option.

We were also considering switching from a Sky Suite on X in Jan to YC club but again no deal with this restriction.

I know travel is changing and I am old school but to me a refundable deposit was always an option for cruise booking unless you were getting some sweetheart deal or booking a World Cruise.  Was also a bit concerned as when I tried a 'trial' booking that the policy did appear more clearly- I had to check terms and read through the full boilerplate to find this. Perhaps it comes up when payment is asked for. Anyway, thanks for your kind indulgence in letting me vent and happy cruising.

2 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

I thought I had figured out a good family 'anniversary' trip on MSC. We have only been on MSC and YC once (Seaside) and enjoyed it greatly. Thought a mid year cruise (2024) could work well for us and I spent a good part of the morning on the line with MSC. I wound up speaking to several reps- not trying to be unfair but several of the initial agents I spoke to did not seem particularly informed- I will leave it at that. I was finally connected to a helpful and engaged agent and we spent some time locating 3 cabins. As I went to put down a deposit I was told it was non refundable (or maybe I asked, not sure) and there was no way around this. I am certain most of the enlightened MSC cruisers here know of this policy but it took me aback. Obviously many can abide by this but with three cabins (7 people) traveling I was not going to book with a non refundable deposit (I never had previously in two decades of cruising).

We initially were going to book an all inclusive a big reason being the flexibility these have with cancellations (usually full cancellation without penalty from 3-14 days prior to stay).  We will probably go back to this plan A which is a shame because the cruise did seem to be a good option.

We were also considering switching from a Sky Suite on X in Jan to YC club but again no deal with this restriction.

I know travel is changing and I am old school but to me a refundable deposit was always an option for cruise booking unless you were getting some sweetheart deal or booking a World Cruise.  Was also a bit concerned as when I tried a 'trial' booking that the policy did appear more clearly- I had to check terms and read through the full boilerplate to find this. Perhaps it comes up when payment is asked for. Anyway, thanks for your kind indulgence in letting me vent and happy cruising.

Unfortunately the times, they are a changing. Not many refundable refunds around on any cruise lines. On Royal you can get one but you have to pay extra for your cabin.

8 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Unfortunately the times, they are a changing. Not many refundable refunds around on any cruise lines. On Royal you can get one but you have to pay extra for your cabin.

I know the trend is going in this direction (like costs) but still not playing in this sandbox. IMO cruising already is a very restrictive vacation when it comes to payments, penalties, etc, and (for me) a non refundable deposit makes me gravitate to other options. My guess is that we have a 50% rate of paid booking vs. actual cruises taken- not because we book frivolously but because 12-24 mos out many things can change. JMHO

• Like 1

MSC Yacht Club deposits are rather small compared to NCL Haven deposits. The lowest that I have done is $49pp for the first 2 guests when reduced deposit was a promo and that was for the most expensive stateroom on the ship and booked for 4 people. I also book many months/years in advance and the ability to get the particular stateroom that I want is more important than the non-refundable deposit. Also, Yacht Club guests can change their booking without penalty (see terms) if something comes up. 

• Like 1

Personally I would be fine if the cruise line asked for 20-25% deposit if it would be refundable. I am guessing (at their high financing rates) they would be better off with this arrangement. For many I know that would be a non starter as we all have our own priorities and sensibilities. 

I found this out the hard way and lost my $200 deposit for a YC booking that I had to change from one date/ship to another.  I should have done better research but assumed my deposit would transfer.  What I should have done was taken advantage of their "one change free" program and let my TA handle the whole thing.  MSC rookie mistake.  I find the deposits to be very reasonable and while nobody likes to lose $200, it didn't break the bank either.

In your case you have 7 people with presumably 3 reservations?  Should one need to cancel they could possibly take that reservation and move it to another under the "one free change" program.

I would never book a refundable rate (such as those offered on Celebrity) because the cruise fare increases by several thousand dollars.  I guess it's the cruising world we live in but in my case, I would rather lose a couple hundred in the off chance that I have to cancel than pay several thousand more in the likely event that I won't have to cancel.  No judgement here...just how I view it.

Should you consider MSC again in the future (the YC experience is lovely), I strongly suggest using a TA.  The "uninformed agent" is quite the norm with MSC and a TA is a much easier and less frustrating (only) way to go.

Good luck on your hunt.  For me the thrill of the cruise hunt is almost as fun as the cruise itself!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

MSC Yacht Club deposits are rather small compared to NCL Haven deposits. The lowest that I have done is $49pp for the first 2 guests when reduced deposit was a promo and that was for the most expensive stateroom on the ship and booked for 4 people. I also book many months/years in advance and the ability to get the particular stateroom that I want is more important than the non-refundable deposit. Also, Yacht Club guests can change their booking without penalty (see terms) if something comes up. 

Did some research on changeable terms and it specifies a 50 dollar fee per cabin (not bad) BUT requires rebooking within 90 days.  Considering YC availability I would think it would be very difficult to find a cabin (nonetheless three) within 90 days.  If this timing was expanded it certainly would be a consideration to me.

1 minute ago, chisoxfan said:

Did some research on changeable terms and it specifies a 50 dollar fee per cabin (not bad) BUT requires rebooking within 90 days.  Considering YC availability I would think it would be very difficult to find a cabin (nonetheless three) within 90 days.  If this timing was expanded it certainly would be a consideration to me.

A good TA can do this for you...and likely throw in a nice amount of OBC as well.

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I found this out the hard way and lost my $200 deposit for a YC booking that I had to change from one date/ship to another.  I should have done better research but assumed my deposit would transfer.  What I should have done was taken advantage of their "one change free" program and let my TA handle the whole thing.  MSC rookie mistake.  I find the deposits to be very reasonable and while nobody likes to lose $200, it didn't break the bank either.

In your case you have 7 people with presumably 3 reservations?  Should one need to cancel they could possibly take that reservation and move it to another under the "one free change" program.

I would never book a refundable rate (such as those offered on Celebrity) because the cruise fare increases by several thousand dollars.  I guess it's the cruising world we live in but in my case, I would rather lose a couple hundred in the off chance that I have to cancel than pay several thousand more in the likely event that I won't have to cancel.  No judgement here...just how I view it.

Should you consider MSC again in the future (the YC experience is lovely), I strongly suggest using a TA.  The "uninformed agent" is quite the norm with MSC and a TA is a much easier and less frustrating (only) way to go.

Good luck on your hunt.  For me the thrill of the cruise hunt is almost as fun as the cruise itself!

Thanks for your comments. Yes I am OK using a TA and initially contacted a huge online provider who we have booked with before. Not only were their quoted fares for our cruise about the same as MSC (no spiffs), the agents were pretty brain dead on the product. This brings to mind our early search for MSC Travel agent...... we had trouble finding one and any agent 'kick backs' were very minimal.

This has possibly changed but not with the big C box store we have used for many cruise bookings.

20 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

This has possibly changed but not with the big C box store we have used for many cruise bookings.

My TA has been very good with not only working with MSC on my behalf but with offering nice OBC's as well.  On a 7 night seashore YC deluxe balcony we received $825.  It's not always that great but it's always better than most when I shop around.  I don't use a land based big box TA as ours is web-based out of Florida. Anyway, good luck!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

2 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

I know the trend is going in this direction (like costs) but still not playing in this sandbox. IMO cruising already is a very restrictive vacation when it comes to payments, penalties, etc, and (for me) a non refundable deposit makes me gravitate to other options. My guess is that we have a 50% rate of paid booking vs. actual cruises taken- not because we book frivolously but because 12-24 mos out many things can change. JMHO

Wow, I’ve never missed a cruise..I book 2-3 a year.  Knocking on wood. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

We never 'missed' a cruise but a year or two out find cruises that may be more attractive and want to be able to make a change without penalty. Still feel that this is not unreasonable. 

If you have never changed a cruise.... good for you. I just don't want to be straightjacketed because I will have to pay a penalty on something 12-24 months out.  For my wife and I we are seeing cruising in general as less attractive. We used to go to Disney World very year with our kids, stay on the grounds, and were well satisfied. It does not even come up on our radar at all now . Just expressing our opinion and do not expect the Industry to cater to us. We will find something fun where we think we are receiving value and move on.  Currently have two cruises booked so we are hardly excluding cruising just being much more selective.

7 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

My guess is that we have a 50% rate of paid booking vs. actual cruises taken- not because we book frivolously but because 12-24 mos out many things can change. JMHO

I think that this might be one of the reasons why the deposit is non-refundable. If too many book a cabin and later cancel the booking it's bad business for the cruiseline, I think.

Things can happen but I feel that loosing the deposit if something really special happen should be okay.

When I shall book a cruise I really don't like if many cabins are booked by people who may, or may not, be on that cruise.

Edited by sverigecruiser

6 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

We never 'missed' a cruise but a year or two out find cruises that may be more attractive and want to be able to make a change without penalty. Still feel that this is not unreasonable. 

If you have never changed a cruise.... good for you. I just don't want to be straightjacketed because I will have to pay a penalty on something 12-24 months out.  For my wife and I we are seeing cruising in general as less attractive. We used to go to Disney World very year with our kids, stay on the grounds, and were well satisfied. It does not even come up on our radar at all now . Just expressing our opinion and do not expect the Industry to cater to us. We will find something fun where we think we are receiving value and move on.  Currently have two cruises booked so we are hardly excluding cruising just being much more selective.

We recently changed a YC booking from this July to this September…we put up a new deposit, and about 4-5 days later our former deposit was refunded to card.  This was booked fairly recently.  

• Like 1

Non-refundable deposits are the norm in the UK (if not the rest of Europe as well?). MSC don't allow for example UK based guests to book US ticketed cruises, sadly, so we can't take advantage of the refundable nature of the deposits, where they exist.

I do however have a Celebrity booking facilitated through a US agent which is refundable, and have in the past made other bookings with different lines through US agents with great success. Less attractive in recent years due to the drop in exchange rate mind you...

Not to start too much of a debate but US cruisers typically get favoured in many aspects of the cruise contract/deposits/promotions etc. - not being critical, just jealous!

Edited by Captain-John

12 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

We never 'missed' a cruise but a year or two out find cruises that may be more attractive and want to be able to make a change without penalty.

Unfortunately, this is exactly the reason they made the YC non-refundable. In speaking with upper management in Geneva, they had too many issues with folks tying up premium inventory then releasing closer to sailing. They were not always able to resell the cabins. Attaching a NR deposit has decreased the turnover.

Bret

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Unfortunately, this is exactly the reason they made the YC non-refundable. In speaking with upper management in Geneva, they had too many issues with folks tying up premium inventory then releasing closer to sailing. They were not always able to resell the cabins. Attaching a NR deposit has decreased the turnover.

Bret

I know MSC is doing this in their best interest but I am only looking at my perspective as a consumer. I am sure the cruise lines would like to have the full payment made at booking.  That is their choice and we all can vote with our feet as to whether it is suitable for us. I have no animosity towards MSC regarding their policy but was uninformed about it and frustrated that I did spend a lot of time getting some questions answered and going through a potential booking. Now I know.

Somehow because we might want to change a cruise without penalty we seem to be labeled as dreaded cabin (chair) hogs...ie. we lock up the best cabins and toss them out before final deposit. We always book a cruise with the intention of taking it and if we do cancel it is typically 6 mos. to one year before final payment. Our last cancellation was on an Antarctic cruise were we found air schedules just to onerous for us. I know one poster said he never 'missed' a cruise and in another post explained how his last change was easy?

My argument to MSC 'management' If the cabins indeed are so 'prized' one would think replacement relatively easy even three months before sailing. We just returned from an all inclusive vacation at a

five star resort and the cancellation policy was three days before arrival- they did have a 50 dollar cancellation fee (would have been 400 on MSC) so a major disconnect on flexibility between these two 'similar' vacations. JMHO

1 hour ago, chisoxfan said:

. We just returned from an all inclusive vacation at a

five star resort and the cancellation policy was three days before arrival- they did have a 50 dollar cancellation fee (would have been 400 on MSC) so a major disconnect on flexibility between these two 'similar' vacations. JMHO

Shaking my head as to what kind of business would allow for that.... Back in the day when cruise cancelling was easier people would book multiple cabins (possibly on multiple lines) and then cancel at day 61 out.  After final payment was due they would then hope for massive price "fill the ship" reductions and rebook.  It's a time consuming, money-wasting game for the industry.  

I personally think that the YC non-refundable deposits of $198 are rather reasonable.  As PP said, $200 is not going to break the bank.  

17 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

I personally think that the YC non-refundable deposits of $198 are rather reasonable.  As PP said, $200 is not going to break the bank.  

We have paid a non-refundable deposit of around $800 for our cruise this summer so $198 sounds very reasonable.

1 hour ago, chisoxfan said:

I know MSC is doing this in their best interest but I am only looking at my perspective as a consumer. 

My perspective as a customer is that a non-refundable deposit is a small price to pay to be able to find more available cabins. I prefer if people choose not go book and later cancel.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Shaking my head as to what kind of business would allow for that.... Back in the day when cruise cancelling was easier people would book multiple cabins (possibly on multiple lines) and then cancel at day 61 out.  After final payment was due they would then hope for massive price "fill the ship" reductions and rebook.  It's a time consuming, money-wasting game for the industry.  

I guess the Marriott (Secrets, Dreams) model is flawed (and profitable)  but the cruise line model (collective debt of 75 billion CCL,NCL, RC) is golden?  Anyway not looking for a fight. My point was that non refundable deposits for cruises are not for us. Additionally the restrictive nature of cruise payments and deposits is not favorable IMHO compared to All Inclusive resort vacations. That doesn't mean we hate cruising or will never cruise again but we have expanded our horizon in part because cruise vacations have traditionally been more restrictive and the instant non refundable deposits add to this burden . Peace and Love.

16 hours ago, Captain-John said:

Non-refundable deposits are the norm in the UK (if not the rest of Europe as well?). MSC don't allow for example UK based guests to book US ticketed cruises, sadly, so we can't take advantage of the refundable nature of the deposits, where they exist.

I can confirm this from a European (well, rather German) point of view. Such practices as on the American market are rather unusual here.
But for me it is sufficient that I can rebook at any time, without giving reasons free of charge. Then I move my cruise just to...

Edited by LiquidWu

3 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Anyway not looking for a fight.

I don't think that others are looking for a fight, either. 

For some, non-refundable deposits aren't a problem. Some people are even in favor of them as it keeps more staterooms available to choose from. 

For some, non-refundable deposits are a problem. 

Neither side is wrong and neither side is trying to convince the other side to change. 

33 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

We have paid a non-refundable deposit of around $800 for our cruise this summer so $198 sounds very reasonable.

For the record, we were looking at 6x100 non refundable for a four night cruise and 6x200 for a 7 night cruise.