Cruising from Amsterdam

Frankzal

It also happened to post cruise return to Amsterdam. I'm not sure the true reason, but have read it was due to low river water level, environmental issues or sea water mixing with fresh water. Also read that the new initiation of tourist tax in Amsterdam was ticking quite a few cruise lines off??????

Our plan post cruise is to have a taxi from Rotterdam port to train station then head to Schiphol train station, or rent a car from Rotterdam airport which we are doing in Schiphol anyways. "Being prepared"

If you book a post cruise transfer  with cruise line you will be covered from Rotterdam should it happen. (I called re this. Also asked if this was a possibility of disembarkation changes, and was told that yes, it did happen last summer, but it is always a daily operational decision)

17 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

If you book a post cruise transfer  with cruise line you will be covered from Rotterdam should it happen. (I called re this. Also asked if this was a possibility of disembarkation changes, and was told that yes, it did happen last summer, but it is always a daily operational decision)

This is good to know - I was going to book the post cruise transfer but was waiting until on-board but think I will do it now just to have it locked in.  I booked our air with HAL Ease so hopefully we’d make a 12:40 pm  flight if we dock in Rotterdam.  

Edited by Skicruiser55

3 hours ago, Skicruiser55 said:

This is good to know - I was going to book the post cruise transfer but was waiting until on-board but think I will do it now just to have it locked in.  I booked our air with HAL Ease so hopefully we’d make a 12:40 pm  flight if we dock in Rotterdam.  

Your flight should be no problem, it is only about 40 minutes from Rotterdam to the airport.

Head up on buying train tickets at the Amsterdam airport to go to Rotterdam or anywhere else. I read this in the Viking River Cruise Critic forum. Apparently if you try to buy train tickets at the Kiosks at the airport, US credit cards will not work without a 4- or 5-digit pin number. If you do not have a pin number, you have to wait in line at the live cashiers location for tickets.

19 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Head up on buying train tickets at the Amsterdam airport to go to Rotterdam or anywhere else. I read this in the Viking River Cruise Critic forum. Apparently if you try to buy train tickets at the Kiosks at the airport, US credit cards will not work without a 4- or 5-digit pin number. If you do not have a pin number, you have to wait in line at the live cashiers location for tickets.

Great point!  Additionally, some point of sale locations are tap and pay.

On 3/24/2023 at 4:28 PM, Skicruiser55 said:

Do you know how far before the sailings they made this change?  It looks like this didn’t impact sailings until August last year.  

https://sea.cruiseportamsterdam.com/adjusted-passage-regime-at-ijmuiden-sea-lock-affects-calls-at-cruise-port-amsterdam/     See here the message of July 26th 2022 about the adjustments.

23 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

I'm not sure the true reason, but have read it was due to low river water level, environmental issues or sea water mixing with fresh water. Also read that the new initiation of tourist tax in Amsterdam was ticking quite a few cruise lines off??????

It is a bit complicated, but you remembered the reasons correctly. 

The changing of the Amsterdam Tourist tax did not concern the ships embarking and disembarking passengers in Amsterdam. Only the ships just calling Amsterdam.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Thanks. American credit card issuers are still way behind Europe in issuing true chip and pin cards. I first learned about such cards the hard way back in 2005, when the credit card that I’d used to purchase train tix in advance from Paris to Reims would not work in the ticket-retrieval machine. Turned out I needed a pin, which my card did not have. Fortunately, I was able to wait in line for a human clerk at the station and get my tickets. 

9 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

The reasons in this article are the same ones sited by Celebrity for moving our Apex departure to Rotterdam in September. If northern Europe has another dry spring/summer season like last year, I suspect most cruises will move from Amsterdam to other ports.

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks. American credit card issuers are still way behind Europe in issuing true chip and pin cards. I first learned about such cards the hard way back in 2005, when the credit card that I’d used to purchase train tix in advance from Paris to Reims would not work in the ticket-retrieval machine. Turned out I needed a pin, which my card did not have. Fortunately, I was able to wait in line for a human clerk at the station and get my tickets. 

We had some issues using our regular CC last year in Venice at the kiosks for buying the water bus tickets, I had to use my debit card which had a pin number. This year I requested and received a 4 digit pin number for one of my Citi Bank CCs that I take when we travel. I di this when some gas stations in Texas required pins to buy gas when gas got close to $5 a gallon and experienced so many  fraudulent CCs.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2023 at 4:24 PM, YXU AC*SE said:

Personally, I say yes -- Rotterdam's post-ww2 reconstruction architecture is pretty interesting (post-war / mid-century modernism) -- and it is also a good spot to jump-off for day trips?  Hoek van Holland; Keukenhof; Kinderdijk; Gouda are all easily (and cheaply) accessible by transit / train. 

Last summer's restrictions lock passage were lifted eventually (21 September 2022).  

https://myport.portofamsterdam.com/nl/update/schutregime.     Scott. 

Don’t forget the SS Rotterdam! Or the Markthal , great shopping in the Lynbaan and surrounding areas, several nice museums, the Euromast etc.

Much more than amsterdam has to offer, but if you like tourist traps , a zillion Nutella stores and fake “ bruine”  cafés etc.stay in amsterdam. Okay they got the Rijksmuseum , but other than that… 👎👎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Thank you for the reminder.  We do have a chip and pin card, but have never had to use the pin number unless getting cash from an ATM in Europe.  I'll  make sure that the number is tucked away someplace.

• Like 2

I'm Dutch and am sure the chances of HAL changing ports again are very slim. The only reason why this incidentally happened last year was because of a delay in finishing the new (biggest in the world) lock in IJmuiden. It's operational and there are no other reasons why cruise ships couldn't or wouldn't use the Amsterdam Cruise Passenger Terminal. Having a cancable booking is always a smart thing to have, but there is no need to get nervous. Trains, trams and metro will get you anywhere in The Netherlands, so you could save a lot of money by using those instead of a taxi. There are multiple tickets available, but all information is available in English at the machines and obviously in person as well. I think trains from Rotterdam to Amsterdam or vice versa depart every 15 minutes or so. There is a regular train, but also a slightly costlier higher speed option (only stop between Rotterdam and Amsterdam is Schiphol Airport). I believe it's 35 minutes in total. I'd absolutely prefer the train over any taxi or Uber on longer distances. It's quicker, reasonably priced where taxis (although metered) are way overpriced. Haven't used one in The Netherlands for decades. And if you really prefer personal transport only use official taxis or use the Uber app. Uber is definately better value for money than the metered taxis. The drivers of both don't have a very good reputation, by the way. 

By the way: From Amsterdam Central Station exit the station at the water side (not the exit going to the city center). Facing the water, turn right. Walk for 10 minutes and you're at the Cruise Terminal. Can't miss.

The terminal in Rotterdam is a stone throw away from a metro station that will bring you to Rotterdam Central Station in minutes (and even as far as The Hague if you don't exit). Again, very self explanatory and if not then everyone does speak English and is helpful in general.

Edited by MO7
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 7

Although there are slightly cheaper options the most convenient way to use public transport is just to tap in and tap out with a debit or credit card. Just remember that each person needs their own card and that you can only use this for the (regular) second class in trains. If this doesn't suit you: find a machine.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2023 at 3:59 PM, Skicruiser55 said:

Is there enough to do in Rotterdam to just stay there pre-cruise?  We’ve been to Amsterdam twice before.  Right now we are sailing from Amsterdam but HAL has been changing the itineraries at the “last minute” I have to wonder if they will do the same thing with this potential issue.   

Rotterdam was flattened on May 14th 1940 by the Germans. This makes Rotterdam the only Dutch city without a historical city centre. It's a port city and has a blue collar/little rough vibe. There is enough to see and do, but I'd recommend to (also) visit The Hague and/or Delft. Absolutely more charming and it's 30 minutes by public transport at most.

1 hour ago, MO7 said:

Just remember that each person needs their own card and that you can only use this for the (regular) second class in trains.

Can my minor use my credit card after I tap it first? I read something about needing a PIN.  If so, where is a PIN needed.  TYIA

6 hours ago, 0106 said:

Can my minor use my credit card after I tap it first? I read something about needing a PIN.  If so, where is a PIN needed.  TYIA

No, you can't. When you're traveling with a child the best option is to visit a ticket office (or a machine), because tickets for children or families are often cheaper and they can give you advice about the best suitable option. In The Netherlands you can use tap and go with your debit or credit card for transactions up to 50 euros at nearly all shops and restaurants. After 3 tap and go transactions the next one will prompt you to enter your pin. Same thing for every transaction above 50 euros. Tap is mostly on the side of the device (in ships and restaurants). If tap and go isn't activated by your bank you can always insert your card and enter your pin.

Regular ATM's are yellow and are named "Geldmaat" ("Money mate"). Because all large banks operate these together they will all have the same fee (if any) and they do accept all debit and credit cards. You can choose between four languages, including English.

Edited by MO7
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Will my Applepay on my Iphone work at train stations? Or is there a train app I can download and preload an account?

I personally pre-purchased my tickets from NS.nl and travelled w/ printed copies -- sounds low tech but the turnstiles to the train platforms read QR codes for tix BUT also have NFC transponders that allow you to use Google Pay / Apple Pay to swipe in/out of the platform.  Small problem I encountered was when I had the ticket QR code on my phone ready to scan, the NFC reader took precedence and the turnstile would not open (as my Google Pay was not set up). If you're travelling second class w/o a seat assignment, as long as you have a same-day ticket regardless of when you clear Schiphol you can hop on the train to your destination. 

You can download the app here:  https://www.ns.nl/en/travel-information/ns-app.  Scott. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2023 at 9:30 AM, MO7 said:

am sure the chances of HAL changing ports again are very slim

That's interesting you mention that. We've book a cruise for July next year (Viking Passage with HAL) and the itinerary states departing at Ijmuiden instead of Amsterdam! Ijmuiden is not particularly easy to get to as it doesn't seem to have a direct train connection, and only bus travel to anywhere close to the cruise terminal is offered. Perhaps it would have been much easier to go from Rotterdam if the ship cannot get into Amsterdam itself. Just hoping that the departure port changes before our cruise!

26 minutes ago, asebastian said:

That's interesting you mention that. We've book a cruise for July next year (Viking Passage with HAL) and the itinerary states departing at Ijmuiden instead of Amsterdam! Ijmuiden is not particularly easy to get to as it doesn't seem to have a direct train connection, and only bus travel to anywhere close to the cruise terminal is offered. Perhaps it would have been much easier to go from Rotterdam if the ship cannot get into Amsterdam itself. Just hoping that the departure port changes before our cruise!

Rotterdam cruise terminal is quite small and there probably is already a ship in Rotterdam that day.  

• 1 month later...