gift bag ideas, crew appreciation

FrankieJayIII

10 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

Gift cards.  They're supposed to turn in cash, but they don't have to turn in Visa gift cards.  Last Filipino steward we had laughed and told us that his wife thanks us from the bottom of her heart.

No they dont have to, if you leave on the autotips,  but anecdotal evidence is that rule has been relaxed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

If you want to get them something they love snacks, potato chips, nuts, cookies & candy. Also the instant soup cups. These are all things that have been requested when I ask them what they would like.

33 minutes ago, FrankieJayIII said:

this is the kind of answer i was looking for 

Again, not everyone has the same tastes in food/snacks, and people from Asia (i.e., most crew members) may have substantially different tastes from your American tastes.  

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Again, not everyone has the same tastes in food/snacks, and people from Asia (i.e., most crew members) may have substantially different tastes from your American tastes.  

These are requests from the Asian crew, observe what they bring back to the ship from ports.

We leave our automatic crew appreciation on so anything else is a bonus.

In addition to tipping our cabin steward and dining room staff cash, we have brought toblerone bars to distribute to asst cruise directors and others who have gone above and beyond for us, think baristas or buffet staff. We bring soap pods and dryer sheets for laundry and leave the extras behind for the cabin steward. We got a deal on some black socks and will be giving them to the staff (like 5 pair per person). If they barter it away I am comfortable with that.

Edited by Barry H
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Barry H said:

We got a deal on some black socks and will be giving them to the staff (like 5 pair per person). If they barter it away I am comfortable with that.

Socks? Seriously?

Because you got a deal on them you think the crew want socks?

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Socks? Seriously?

I would love to see the split second reaction of the crew member when they are handed the socks with the ‘Thank you so much for making our cruise so special.’ 🙄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

8 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I would love to see the split second reaction of the crew member when they are handed the socks with the ‘Thank you so much for making our cruise so special.’ 🙄

Pretending to like them just so they don't offend @Barry H and maybe still get some cash from him.

• Like 3

Rhetorical question for those not giving cash bonus tips: 

Don't you think that thew crew is just being polite?

It's their job to be nice to you so of course they would gracious.  They wouldn't turn down the non-cash gift; it would be as awkward for them as it would be for you.

Money talks!  In fact, it speaks volumes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Barry H said:

In addition to tipping our cabin steward and dining room staff cash, we have brought toblerone bars to distribute to asst cruise directors and others who have gone above and beyond for us, think baristas or buffet staff. We bring soap pods and dryer sheets for laundry and leave the extras behind for the cabin steward. We got a deal on some black socks and will be giving them to the staff (like 5 pair per person). If they barter it away I am comfortable with that.

I know you’re joking about the socks, because literally nobody would do that. Good one!  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

The cruise line told you ( indeed stressed)not to tip, and you still did so.

I know it is built into the American psyche to tip at the slightest opportunity, but why break the rules !

Branson is trying to break some of the old fashioned traditions of cruising,  and doing away with tipping is one of them. 

Hopefully others will abide by the rules. 

I appreciate the work these people give.  I have so much and others so little I do not mind sharing my wealth.  For people who do not, they may need the money more for their everyday living expenses and not WASTE the money on a cruise vacation or tips that go to hard working people.  It must be remembered it was England that developed the tip system when Dukes use to give their servents a "gratuity for cleaning their shoes or taking out their night pots".  Thanks to my Brit friends starting this method of thanking the servents!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

I don't consider a cruise vacation a "waste."  It's an investment in my mental health. 

But giving a criticism to me because I tip the crew above and beyond what the cruise line says, if you dont want to tip YOU may need the  money more for your everyday expenses rather than wasting it on a cruise! Dont knock me because I appreciate the crews work they do on the ship.

So I'm the odd ball here. I have a bowl of Ghirardelli chocolates on the table. I invite the steward & room service to take. This is in addition to the cash for steward / waiter after cruise & room service with each delivery. (Waiter actually hugged me when I found him / tipped final morning. Guess no one does that anymore but I have assigned MDR wait staff). 

And I'm someone who does not tip Starbucks, Nick the Greek, Paneras type service

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Socks? Seriously?

Exactly - the contender for post of the year and it is only March !

If I ever have to do a nine month contract,  getting black socks would not be high on my gift list !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, spookyfudge said:

But giving a criticism to me because I tip the crew above and beyond what the cruise line says, if you dont want to tip YOU may need the  money more for your everyday expenses rather than wasting it on a cruise! Dont knock me because I appreciate the crews work they do on the ship.

I am not sure not tipping equates to not having money.  It is still a choice that people have on Princess ships especially and I am sure there are plenty of people of means who choose not to for many reasons.

11 hours ago, FrankieJayIII said:

well cash is obvious- the posters said and an envelope with cash in it.  🤣  but what else do they need, want?

How about cash? They don’t want your Knick knacks.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, victory2020 said:

If you want to get them something they love snacks, potato chips, nuts, cookies & candy. Also the instant soup cups. These are all things that have been requested when I ask them what they would like.

Because they are to polite to say they would like cash instead.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Barry H said:

Five pairs of black socks as a gift? Is this a joke post? I am sure that the university educated crew member who is cleaning your cabin and wiping down tables because it pays more than being a doctor at home - is truly grateful for your generosity. How would they even be able to say thank you while keeping a smile on their face?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1