Covid on cruises. Still a big problem?..

cambriah

6 hours ago, cambriah said:

Is it still common for a number of cruisers, especially Seniors, to come down with Covid or other related illnesses while aboard a cruise ship?

Or is this something that is not a bog problem today?

With the lifting of mandatory testing and vax requirements across the cruise industry in recent months, it’s easy to understand why there’s far more displays of respiratory issues onboard than a year ago when controls were in place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

it’s easy to understand why there’s far more displays of respiratory issues onboard than a year ago when controls were in place.

Do you have the data to support that statement? 

We are a couple ages 76 and 75 and have been on 3 cruises ( each a different cruise line) in the last 9 months and have come home healthy after each one. We are both fully vaccinated and have not had Covid ( to the best of our knowledge). We were mindful of people around us, tried to social distance like sitting in less desirable seats in theaters so as to be farther away from the crowds. But we ate in dining rooms, buffets, etc, and just changed places when we became aware of people coughing a lot. We didn’t see much evidence of constant room service outside doors of cabins near us ( could be evidence of quarantine). We recommend cruising when there’s less likely to be alot of children, although we were on a mega ship last June and still remained healthy. Wash hands frequently, bring Covid tests with you, and be aware of your surroundings. Cruising remains a wonderful way to vacation. 

after avoiding covid  for 3 yrs

we managed to pick it up locally

We wear masks when in public places

both felt like  a bad head cold  

so some people  may just think they have a cold  until they test

We are both fully vaccinated  so  covid does not care

We did stay home & isolate ...some choose not  to

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I don't think people are testing or isolating anymore. Covid is just something we have to live with like flu.

The word is 'endemic'

At the risk of the return of the red banner warning, an endemic result is the best you can hope for when a novel respiratory virus is encountered.

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

I don't think people are testing or isolating anymore. Covid is just something we have to live with like flu.

I know lots of people (including myself) who test when they have cold-like symptoms

• Like 1

There are still quite a few countries that will not allow COVID positive passengers to disembark.

This winter in Central America, quite a few positive passengers were forced to remain on the ship - in quarantine - for another cruise (and pay for it) because the Costa Rican and Panamanian authorities refused to let them disembark.

22 hours ago, motherof2 said:

We are a couple ages 76 and 75 and have been on 3 cruises ( each a different cruise line) in the last 9 months and have come home healthy after each one. We are both fully vaccinated and have not had Covid ( to the best of our knowledge). We were mindful of people around us, tried to social distance like sitting in less desirable seats in theaters so as to be farther away from the crowds. But we ate in dining rooms, buffets, etc, and just changed places when we became aware of people coughing a lot. We didn’t see much evidence of constant room service outside doors of cabins near us ( could be evidence of quarantine). We recommend cruising when there’s less likely to be alot of children, although we were on a mega ship last June and still remained healthy. Wash hands frequently, bring Covid tests with you, and be aware of your surroundings. Cruising remains a wonderful way to vacation. 

Your story sounds like how we roll and our experiences. On our Jan 2023 to Central and South America, the cruise director had COVID. My DH had a URI and was treated in the medical center several times. There was quite a line in the crew area to receive medical attention.

An issue?  meh.  A consideration?  sure.

I cruised last week, I feel better during this first week post-cruise than I did the week after I cruised last year (took 3 extra days off as a result) and the ship had probably at least 50% more passengers on it (maybe even closer to 75% more).  I thought on Monday that maybe I had caught something but that passed, and I did a test which came back negative.  I didn't wear a mask at any point during the trip - airline or cruise.  That's actually something I noticed that many people complain about - there was actually a distinct LACK of people coughing on that cruise.

That said - I DID have COVID in late January so maybe my immunity was slightly elevated and helped fend off any hint that I might get it.

First post-COVID cruise was a four-nighter in October on Grandeur OTS out of Galveston. Group of three. Was the first cruise for two of them. Masked in all indoor areas except our rooms and the main dining room (they put us in a corner which was nice because it was quiet). Went to a few shows in the main theater and checked out a few other activities. No issues whatsoever.

Will likely mask up during the next cruise in May on Voyager OTS. Masks never bother me so I'll probably keep 'em going for a while longer.

9 hours ago, besweeet said:

Masks never bother me so I'll probably keep 'em going for a while longer.

Assuming you will be eating and drinking with everyone else, when you won't be wearing a mask, it seems a bit pointless to wear a mask anywhere else.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Assuming you will be eating and drinking with everyone else, when you won't be wearing a mask, it seems a bit pointless to wear a mask anywhere else.

We still appropriately worn the mask in locations we knew was wise. 

Your point has merit, but 14 days we did not catch anything and even home safe and sound.

Some thought to safety is still necessary.

11 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We still appropriately worn the mask in locations we knew was wise. 

Your point has merit, but 14 days we did not catch anything and even home safe and sound.

Some thought to safety is still necessary.

As long as you have a proper medical mask, you will have some protection, but not with the cheap blue paper ones.

We had to laugh today. Lovely sunny day on Sky Princess. Decided to have lunch in Alfredos. A couple walked through the deserted ship with masks on, got to the entrance of the restaurant, and promptly took their masks off as they were shown to their table in a crowded restaurant. I just don't understand the logic !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

At least in the MDR, we were seated way off in a back corner and basically had nobody around us. Less going on, it was quieter, had a nice view out the window, etc. It was nice. Took our buffet food outside since I preferred pool views.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

As long as you have a proper medical mask, you will have some protection, but not with the cheap blue paper ones.

We had to laugh today. Lovely sunny day on Sky Princess. Decided to have lunch in Alfredos. A couple walked through the deserted ship with masks on, got to the entrance of the restaurant, and promptly took their masks off as they were shown to their table in a crowded restaurant. I just don't understand the logic !

Being a past health professional we do use a higher level mask KN 95..

51 minutes ago, besweeet said:

At least in the MDR, we were seated way off in a back corner and basically had nobody around us. Less going on, it was quieter, had a nice view out the window, etc. It was nice. Took our buffet food outside since I preferred pool views.

Ditto with our placement too.....

Did our best in Buffet....