Bid to upgrade being rolled out

Cathygh

19 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Maybe a stupid question - but does the highest bidder always win  ? Or is it a lottery ? Can you increase bids ? 
like eBay - keep bidding if you want to win ! 

If it's rules are like that Omaze we all see raffling houses on TV for Charity it will be pot luck if you win, Omaze check winners online profiles to see if there 'respectable' enough to receive first prize if not the winner doesn't get it. 

If P&O started that they would make me sleep in one of the Life Boats and charge me extra for a Lifejacket. 😆

• Haha 5

35 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

This has spread to Cunard as well. 

Have received offer for a June cruise,  minimum bid was very high , much more than half the of normal price difference. So Cunard don't want cheeky bids. 

What are minimums on P&O like.

There's full details on the Cunard web site.  I can't see anything similar on P&O yet, but I'd assume it will be added at some point and is basically the same scheme.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/stateroom-upgrade#faqs

• Thanks 2

Just received an email regarding our Baltic cruise on Britannia in May. 

We are booked in a standard obstructed balcony… here are the starting offer prices for info:

suite from £760 per person

deluxe from £400pp

sofa balcony £160pp

balcony £90pp

obstructed balcony with sofa £40pp

We are quite happy to stay where we are as we have picked the specific obstructed balcony due to the lack of obstructions. Not tempted by any of those prices, looks like the overall prices we would have paid when we booked if we factor that in. 

Although some might like it though.

• Thanks 4

Just received an email this morning. I have an inside single booked on Britannia and they are inviting bids to upgrade. The only option available is a single balcony and they want a minimum bid of £270 per person BUT state that solo cruisers will pay double, for a SINGLE balcony. £540 minimum cost, are they joking? I am happy with my single inside and I know exactly where it is on the ship, deck 16 forward and there are only 12 cabins in this category

• Like 2

It would help enormously if those who are kind enough to post the minimum bid prices could also state how many nights their cruise is. It’s completely impossible to know whether these minimum bids are a rip off or an absolute bargain without this critical piece of information!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Just received an email this morning. I have an inside single booked on Britannia and they are inviting bids to upgrade. The only option available is a single balcony and they want a minimum bid of £270 per person BUT state that solo cruisers will pay double, for a SINGLE balcony. £540 minimum cost, are they joking? I am happy with my single inside and I know exactly where it is on the ship, deck 16 forward and there are only 12 cabins in this category

This is disgraceful Dave. Once again us solo cruisers are penalised. I cannot believe P&O have the chutzpah to even publish this. Surely, surely, someone must soon realise that to ask singles to pay double for a single cabin is a punitive "offer" - or perhaps they just don't give a ****. Grrr!!! xx

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

4 minutes ago, Beckett said:

This is disgraceful Dave. Once again us solo cruisers are penalised. I cannot believe P&O have the chutzpah to even publish this. Surely, surely, someone must soon realise that to ask singles to pay double for a single cabin is a punitive "offer" - or perhaps they just don't give a ****. Grrr!!! xx

I'm trying to get my head around this. 

A solo traveller will be in a cabin which only accommodates one person. Do they pay the same as what two people sharing a double cabin would, or half that? 

Then, to move to a higher grade cabin which also only accommodates one person, they are being asked to pay the same as two people sharing a double cabin would. Is that correct?

On 3/30/2023 at 12:12 PM, Goosebear Mum said:

I will be on Aurora May. Deluxe balcony, select fare. But they wanted an extra £2060+ for a mini suite. If I was prepared to pay that, I’d have done so originally. 

I had a similiar offer on Cunard over half the orginal price difference. They are clearly not leaving room for cheeky bids.

I wonder if cabins remain unsold minimums will come down at last minute.

Better for them than the old practice emails with real bargins a few weeks before sailing 

On 3/30/2023 at 9:20 AM, Cpt Pugwash said:

If it's rules are like that Omaze we all see raffling houses on TV for Charity it will be pot luck if you win, Omaze check winners online profiles to see if there 'respectable' enough to receive first prize if not the winner doesn't get it. 

If that is true, I am surprised they have not been prosecuted for fraud. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

It would help enormously if those who are kind enough to post the minimum bid prices could also state how many nights their cruise is. It’s completely impossible to know whether these minimum bids are a rip off or an absolute bargain without this critical piece of information!

On 3/30/2023 at 11:58 AM, Al_W said:

Just received an email regarding our Baltic cruise on Britannia in May. 

We are booked in a standard obstructed balcony… here are the starting offer prices for info:

suite from £760 per person

deluxe from £400pp

sofa balcony £160pp

balcony £90pp

obstructed balcony with sofa £40pp

We are quite happy to stay where we are as we have picked the specific obstructed balcony due to the lack of obstructions. Not tempted by any of those prices, looks like the overall prices we would have paid when we booked if we factor that in. 

Although some might like it though.

This relates to a 14 night Baltic itinerary leaving on 12 May 2023 @Selbourne

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Sorry , 7 nights to Norway, 23 June

Edited by davecttr

3 hours ago, TigerB said:

I'm trying to get my head around this. 

A solo traveller will be in a cabin which only accommodates one person. Do they pay the same as what two people sharing a double cabin would, or half that? 

Then, to move to a higher grade cabin which also only accommodates one person, they are being asked to pay the same as two people sharing a double cabin would. Is that correct?

Here is the text from the link P&O included in the email, The important bit is in red , my emphasis. In this case the only option was a single balcony for a minimum of £270 per person or actually £540. It looks to me as if P&O are trying to exclude solos cruisers from cabin upgrades.

Looking to upgrade your cabin?

Its quick and easy to submit an offer to upgrade your cabin on your upcoming cruise holiday.

Here's how it works:

1. Browse through the below upgrade options, and place your offer(s) to upgrade.

2. Once you have completed card verification to secure your offer, you'll receive an email from us to confirm we’ve received it.

3. If your offer is successful, you’ll have 72 hours to make your upgrade offer payment.

Upgrade offers are priced per person and based on two guests sharing a cabin. If you are sailing solo, you will be charged 200% of your offer amount. The offer amount is in addition to the cost of your cruise and cabins are automatically allocated based on availability. If you have already selected or have been allocated a numbered cabin, this cabin will no longer be available once your upgrade offer is accepted. Please refer to our FAQs and Terms and conditions for more information.

• Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Sorry , 7 nights to Norway, 23 June

Thanks. Yes I can now see why that wouldn’t be attractive. The price difference would be about that anyway, so it seems a bit pointless. 

• Like 2

I realise that this won’t be a popular view, but I can understand the logic of solo cruisers having to pay double the upgrade cost. Think of it another way. P&O are setting an upgrade premium per cabin. This makes sense in order to maximise revenue which, after all, is the whole point of the exercise. So, regardless of whether the cabin is occupied by one or two passengers, they ‘sell’ the upgrade on a per cabin price. The other option would be to allow solos to bid lower prices, but they would almost always be unsuccessful. This system gives solo passengers the same chance.

Also, keep in mind that this is an upgrade cost only. As solo passengers will already be paying a lower fare than a couple (hopefully), they will still be paying a lower total price for their upgraded cabin than a couple who have also been upgraded. To take a made up example. Couple pays £1,000 for an inside cabin, solo pays 75% of that, so £750. Upgrade options come in at £250 per person for a balcony. The couple end up paying £1,500 (£1,000 plus £500). The solo pays £1,250 (£750 plus the same £500). The solo still ends up paying less than the couple (albeit the % discount has dropped from 25% to 17%). 

It’s not very often that I spring to P&Os defence on things but, on this one, I think it seems fair. 

• Like 2

Except that that single balcony is small and only has one single bed with no room for 2 people. So only single inside cabin customers are able to bid for it. I paid £979 for a single saver inside with no upgrade. there are 12 of these cabins on the ship. Opposite are the 15 single balconies. The current price for a new booking is £10 more than the minimum upgrade bid and only select is available, insides are sold out

So it is the terminology that is wrong. they want a single inside passenger to upgrade to a balcony so they can re sell the inside cabin but the wording would put people off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I realise that this won’t be a popular view, but I can understand the logic of solo cruisers having to pay double the upgrade cost. Think of it another way. P&O are setting an upgrade premium per cabin. This makes sense in order to maximise revenue which, after all, is the whole point of the exercise. So, regardless of whether the cabin is occupied by one or two passengers, they ‘sell’ the upgrade on a per cabin price. The other option would be to allow solos to bid lower prices, but they would almost always be unsuccessful. This system gives solo passengers the same chance.

Also, keep in mind that this is an upgrade cost only. As solo passengers will already be paying a lower fare than a couple (hopefully), they will still be paying a lower total price for their upgraded cabin than a couple who have also been upgraded. To take a made up example. Couple pays £1,000 for an inside cabin, solo pays 75% of that, so £750. Upgrade options come in at £250 per person for a balcony. The couple end up paying £1,500 (£1,000 plus £500). The solo pays £1,250 (£750 plus the same £500). The solo still ends up paying less than the couple (albeit the % discount has dropped from 25% to 17%). 

It’s not very often that I spring to P&Os defence on things but, on this one, I think it seems fair. 

Every cruise line seems to have a different approach to solo cruisers Selbourne. On P&O, for single occupancy of a standard cabin, one would expect to pay an additional 75% on the advertised price. However,  I've just priced up an Arcadia cruise to Norway in May and the cost for single occupancy of an inside standard cabin I would pay £1,298.  The cost for a single inside on the same cruise is £1,898! It makes no sense.

Whilst I can see what you're saying about solos paying double the upgrade cost in a cabin meant for 2, Dave's quote for an upgrade bid is for what is definitely a one person only space. Believe me, those single cabins can most assuredly only house one person - I'd need a second one to store my shoes! As always, my opinion only. Best wishes. Jane xx

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Beckett said:

is definitely a one person only space. Believe me, those single cabins can most assuredly only house one person - I'd need a second one to store my shoes! As always, my opinion only. Best wishes. Jane xx

Those are the Motown cabins Jane, only enough room for Four Tops.

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Except that that single balcony is small and only has one single bed with no room for 2 people. So only single inside cabin customers are able to bid for it. I paid £979 for a single saver inside with no upgrade. there are 12 of these cabins on the ship. Opposite are the 15 single balconies. The current price for a new booking is £10 more than the minimum upgrade bid and only select is available, insides are sold out

So it is the terminology that is wrong. they want a single inside passenger to upgrade to a balcony so they can re sell the inside cabin but the wording would put people off.

30 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Every cruise line seems to have a different approach to solo cruisers Selbourne. On P&O, for single occupancy of a standard cabin, one would expect to pay an additional 75% on the advertised price. However,  I've just priced up an Arcadia cruise to Norway in May and the cost for single occupancy of an inside standard cabin I would pay £1,298.  The cost for a single inside on the same cruise is £1,898! It makes no sense.

Whilst I can see what you're saying about solos paying double the upgrade cost in a cabin meant for 2, Dave's quote for an upgrade bid is for what is definitely a one person only space. Believe me, those single cabins can most assuredly only house one person - I'd need a second one to store my shoes! As always, my opinion only. Best wishes. Jane xx

My comments were assuming a solo occupying a double balcony cabin. I hadn’t appreciated that there were single balcony cabins. Apologies. I can see why you’d be upset in that instance. 

• Like 3

Please don’t quote me but I believe solo cabin to solo cabin is only one upgrade fee.

Solo cabin to single occupancy of double cabin would be x2 upgrade fees. So would existing single occupancy of double cabin to better double cabin.

Upgrades are based on number of lower berths in cabin.

My only wonder is whether if single inside to single balcony upgrade is £800, whether it’s showing as 2x£400.

It does need clarification.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Please don’t quote me but I believe solo cabin to solo cabin is only one upgrade fee.

Solo cabin to single occupancy of double cabin would be x2 upgrade fees. So would existing single occupancy of double cabin to better double cabin.

Upgrades are based on number of lower berths in cabin.

My only wonder is whether if single inside to single balcony upgrade is £800, whether it’s showing as 2x£400.

It does need clarification.

Your first two sentences makes more sense, and is as it should be.

Other posts confused me, giving me the impression that moving from a single to a single incurred a double fee.

Is a sofa bed classed as a lower berth, or is it only fixed beds?

(BTW - I literally have quoted you!😂)

Edited by TigerB

14 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Your first two sentences makes more sense, and is as it should be.

Other posts confused me, giving me the impression that moving from a single to a single incurred a double fee.

Is a sofa bed classed as a lower berth, or is it only fixed beds?

(BTW - I literally have quoted you!😂)

Any bed which can be stowed such as sofa bed is not defined as lower berth. 

I think the only ships which have cabins with more than 2 standard lower berths are Azura and Ventura with their family suites. They have 4 lower berths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1